DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
RIPPA

BOX OFFICE 2020 Discussion (Straight Cash Homie)

So apparently all this time I thought I had been commenting in the current year BO thread. Then looked at that was 2019 and the last time I posted was mid-Dec

Where the fuck has this year gone?

Anyway

Onward has the second lowest opening for a Pixar movie with $40 million (putting it just past The Good Dinosaur). Word of mouth is supposedly good so it should be okay. It also is being hurt but worldwide ticket sales being down in general.

Also - Sonic the Hedgehog will almost assuredly pass Detective Pikachu this week as highest grossing video game adaptation domestically.

Onward is hitting theaters at a time that there is no way in hell I could get through it. Just... No.

Well to the surprise of no one - the weekend box office cratered

It was weakest cumulative weekend box office results since 1995

Because of basically no one going to the movies, it is virtually impossible now for Onward to not finish as the lowest grossing Pixar movie ever

Posted (edited)

Bloodshot only grossed a quarter of its budget on opening weekend, but IIRC it's gross made up nearly half of the weekend BO.

Bloodshot?  Bloodbath is more like it.

Edited by J.T.

The few remaining drive in movie theaters in states that don't have stay home orders are apparently doing business for now, though, of course, there are no new movies coming to them.

Otherwise, well, box office reporting has been halted.