DVDVR Message Board

2020 NCAAB: MADNESS, cancelled

Dolfan in NYC

As someone who goes to their games I must sadly correct @RIPPA and point out that it is St Francis PA that is the #2 seed in the NEC, not the poor St Francis NY Bulldogs (who are the #8 seed).

Because Maryland just got 3 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 virus (coronavirus) yesterday - the NCAA has announced that the first 2 rounds of the D-III tournament games played at Johns Hopkins will be empty arena.

Hey! Remember when I said William & Mary had a chance to finally make the tournament this year.

Yeah - they got upset in the 1st round of the CAA tournament.

Whoops

For those who didn't hear about this, a group of students during Saturday's Monmouth-Siena game were taunting an openly gay player on Siena with a sign that said "Stick to Grindr" along with private pictures from his profile on the app.  

Monmouth lost by 14. 

The Ivy League has cancelled their conference tournaments and have announced that Yale (men's) and Princeton (women's) - regular season champs - will advance to the NCAA Tournament

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Or...

I think they should announce that it is being postponed with the intent of holding the tournaments when this thing is (hopefully) under control in 6-8 weeks. It would be both doing the right thing and make doing the right thing more palatable by assuring people what they want will merely be delayed and make them more accepting of the necessary measures that need to be taken. 

i am confused as hell.   They are going to play the conference tournament in an empty arena starting on Thursday?  So if you sucked in your league and had to play today it was with fans like the ACC 2nd round and I think the Big 12 first round games?  Why start this in the middle of the tournament

Because the WHO didn't declare it a pandemic until yesterday, and people in charge were being brazenly stupid (because they were listening to someone...) about the dangers this thing possesses. 

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

ALmost every conference tournament just got cancelled

Big East, Big West, MAAC and MEAC appear to be the only ones still taking place.

EDIT: Big East just canceled their tournament as the first game (Creighton/St. Johns) went to halftime.