DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 3/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On tap for tonight:

• STEEL CAGE MATCH - Velveteen Dream vs. Roderick Strong
  • STEEL CAGE MATCH - Dakota Kai (w/ Raquel Gonzalez) vs. Tegan Nox
  • Oney Lorcan/Danny Burch vs. Undisputed Era (Fish/O'Reilly)
  • Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano keep their feud going.
  • Imperium and Finn Balor keep their feud going.

--

I really do not like two steel cage matches in the same night, it really takes away from the finality that the gimmick is supposed to represent.  (Which reminds me, it sure seems like they're building to a Hell in a Cell match for Ciampa and Gargano.)

I honestly wish they weren't doing a Strong/Dream rematch in general. The two don't work all that well together and I was ready for Dream to move on to Cole. The cage stip doesn't feel necessary.

1-2 vs. ReDragon should be good.

Looking forward to Kai/Nox.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I honestly wish they weren't doing a Strong/Dream rematch in general. The two don't work all that well together and I was ready for Dream to move on to Cole. The cage stip doesn't feel necessary.

1-2 vs. ReDragon should be good.

Looking forward to Kai/Nox.

I concur with all the above.

Kai/Nox was good fun by the end. Raquel had some nice reactions outside and did well in the moments she interfered in. That avalanche chokeslam looked neat though Nox just staring confused at what she did was a bit weird. Just seems like a phase we should have been past seeing that she already tried to murder Kai last Takeover.

1-2/ReDragon was good. Dug the post match with the Broserweights and GYV. Kind of surprised ReDragon is getting another shot and they are just doing a triple threat in Tampa.

Liked the parts I saw of Swerve/Theory though its feels like they should be doing more with Swerve.

Shotzi/Green was ok. Green over Shotzi in a ladder match feels wrong, but I kind of get it with Green's current push.

I almost felt sorry for Grimes during his confrontation with Lee. They would not let him get a word even with Lee trying to give him a chance. I do like that Lee kind of realized what was going to happen early and was already prepping to pounce poor Grimes out of the ring. It was a fun segment.

Dream/Roddy in a cage was easily the best match the two have had with each other. Dug quite a bit of it and the end was a neat way to transition to Dream/Cole.

I thought the finish to the women's cage match was great. Creative, and a great visual being trapped between the mesh.

I hope they get out of Full Sail soon. Something is just not connecting with me for their TV even though I really enjoy all the Takeovers.

• Like 1

I don't think think they need to leave Full Sail completely, but they need to do a dozen or so tv shows away from it. It will keep the crowd from burning out, and we can see NXT if a slightly different environment on occasion. 

Edited by Eivion

6 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I thought the finish to the women's cage match was great. Creative, and a great visual being trapped between the mesh.

I agree. Thought the ending was pretty good and a very cool visual. 

• Like 1

The swerve at the end of the ladies cage match was pretty badass and I usually hate the escape clause victory in WWE cage matches.

This Lee vs. Grimes match had better be epic. 

I tend to channel surf back and forth between NXT and AEW for Hour #1, but I'm finding it hard to flip back to NXT once the second hour of AEW starts up.

Edited by J.T.

The end to that ladies match was pretty genius. Kudos to whoever thought that up.

Cameron Grimes is the next Bo Dallas. That is a compliment. His whole look — stupid hat, Van Morrison vest — is so gloriously stupid. He also had some great timing going off-book last night when the heat was piling on. He could be a really great heel.

That Gargano interview was awful. Dude is so bad at speaking. 

Really great episode overall.

Nox/Kai is so damn good in hardcore matches. Like Nox I know has experience but was Kai know for that in the indies? This cage match of theirs had great storytelling and pacing.

Good bit of crowd work by Grimes, made that whole promo shine. Greggulator, you're not far off with the comparison; he reminds me of when Bo started to really shine.

Probably my fav Johnny Gargano interview to date, channeling that Miz/D-bry.

As lame as "escape through the door" is, they actually had two pretty good uses of it here. The women's match finish reminded me of when Jericho crotched X-Pac on the door in 2000 (the last good door finish I can remember), and the men's match finish at least served the purpose of getting Dream back on track after his questionable angle with Strong.