DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There's one thing I wonder about Page and his cowboy gimmick. He's from Virginia. Does Virginia actually have cowboys?

7 hours ago, Casey said:

He's from the South, so, yes.

Page is from the middle-of-nowhere bottom part of Virginia so you can count it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There's one thing I wonder about Page and his cowboy gimmick. He's from Virginia. Does Virginia actually have cowboys?

Well, he's said in various places in and out of AEW that his family raised cattle and had a tobacco farm.  So yeah, I'd say that's pretty legit to me.

And I rewatched the main event.  While it still felt inevitable what would happen I did appreciate more the fire that Darby had throughout it all.  So that plus accepting the story they were telling led to me enjoying the mach more on second watch.  For all I know maybe watching it by itself helped as I didn't think about the bait and switch with Archer nor the non-appearance of Exalted One.  Is the episode still one of favorites?  Not really, but that's okay.   I feel very confident in the shows coming up so at this point it's all good with me.  And hey, you can't go wrong with Jake Fucking Roberts cutting a promo.  I've been checking out old promos since he was on Jericho's pod last week so the timing was pretty neat.  Speaking of which everybody should check that episode out as he's just the goddamn best.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Page is from the middle-of-nowhere bottom part of Virginia so you can count it.

Do cowboys in Virginia dress like Page?  With the mullet perm and jeans-western shirt combo, Page looks like he went to the bathroom at the local honkeytonk in 1989, and walked out of it in 2020.

• Haha 1

@NikoBaltimore  Thanks for the reminder of Jake on the Jericho pod.  What a great surprise on dynamite.  And what a lead in for ‘the client’.

I really hope AEW addresses this Archer situation.  It’s not like they don’t break the 4th wall online daily.  Just a creative switch reasoning is enough.  I just really don’t like the titan sports vibe that no go reps.  

Im thinking a lot about Archer and Lee as a tandem ala a 2020 skyscrapers.  Tho, one of them playing face would probably be a smart move.  Suddenly AEW has quite a few behemoths.  Not sure how you protect that many of them,  but we’ll see.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Do cowboys in Virginia dress like Page?  With the mullet perm and jeans-western shirt combo, Page looks like he went to the bathroom at the local honkeytonk in 1989, and walked out of it in 2020.

As I stated in the pictures thread. Whatever gets us back to tan shirts, leather ties, and pants tucked into snake skin boots with gold heels & tips, the better.

Edit: Any excuse to wear something like this in public...

wWW7Lkj4Fa9yWX3H43l8kPZVBK45jKgPl84IIbu_

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I didn't love this episode, but maybe it was the jet lag from my crazy work travel this week.

Stuff I didn't like:

First and foremost, shut the fuck up JR.  Stop salivating over how great Chuck Taylor would look if he filled out a little, you football mark size queen McMahon disciple.  Everybody saw Beyond the Mat and knows full well what you meant when you told Tony Jones he had to gain some size in the upper body.  So many wrestlers dead from "heart attacks" way too young say hi, you fucking relic of a thankfuly bygone era.  If you can only get excited if a wrestler fits the McMahon/Johnny Ace swimsuit model mold, just fucking quit.  I'm here to watch a match, not listen to you stroke it over how great Chucky T would look if he were more swoll.

Another commentary misstep in the same match: Ross writing his own story about how Chuck and many other tag team wrestlers are looking into going single because that's where the real money and prestige are.  This in a company that has prided itself on having a world class tag division that's supposed to be on equal footing with singles.  I appreciate this company not micromanaging commentators but they need to do something about Ross' on-air creative writing exercises.

I can get opening show promos from Raw, thanks.

P&P & Hager beat up Mox for a hour while Darby Allin is blocked by the WWE Invisible Wall.  Awful. I FFWD'd the main event after that.  I have no desire to watch an angle disguised as a match.  Judging from this thread, we were all hyped for this match.  And we got this shameful Nitro-level shit.  I thought Khan learned from the lessons of WCW.  A this rate, I won't be surprised if "Blood and Guts" is a triple cage tower match.  ?

Hager's finish looks more affectionate than painful

No Archer after advertising him last week

Better stuff:

Big Swoll is great in a short squash.  Damning with faint praise, I know.

Jake the Snake's promo was great and I'm looking forward to whatever this is.  Brodie Lee or Lance Archer?

Hangman Page continues to be just awesome.

LOL @ the fan's sign: "Darby likes turtles"

DEATH TRIANGLE

QT Marshall's Dad Bod Lucha is the best thing

The 8 man was short and fun.  Colt is a great addition to the roster.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

I saw someone on twitter saying how ironic it would be if Jake was managing Harper, after Harper was allied with Dollar Store Jake for years in WWE.

• Like 1

More like Cracker Barrel Jake.

I still maintain that it’s Archer. Jake’s line about the “Dark roots”, and “Phoenix rising from the ashes” sounds like he’s referencing Lance’s weird looking back tattoo.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Stuff I didn't like:

First and foremost, shut the fuck up JR.  Stop salivating over how great Chuck Taylor would look if he filled out a little, you football mark size queen McMahon disciple.  Everybody saw Beyond the Mat and knows full well what you meant when you told Tony Jones he had to gain some size in the upper body.  So many wrestlers dead from "heart attacks" way too young say hi, you fucking relic of a thankfuly bygone era.  If you can only get excited if a wrestler fits the McMahon/Johnny Ace swimsuit model mold, just fucking quit.  I'm here to watch a match, not listen to you stroke it over how great Chucky T would look if he were more swoll

I do not disagree with the general idea but Chuck himself jokes about being a body guy. Now that he is in the relative big leagues, he could either lose a skosh or bulk up. He doesn't need roids to do either. As is, he's adjusting his tights every 10 seconds and it's not great because he's not going to get the long form matches he had at his peak in PWG (and I maintain that match with Zack was a full five boy), nor the character work to supplement it. Those are his strengths and while he's fine in tags it's nothing special. He's joked that he won't be around for long and he may not be wrong because there are other guys who do what he's doing right now better and he feels like the odd man out in that trio. In this one particular instance I actually agree with JR and want Chuck to succeed badly because he's fucking hilarious. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I do not disagree with the general idea but Chuck himself jokes about being a body guy. Now that he is in the relative big leagues, he could either lose a skosh or bulk up. He doesn't need roids to do either. As is, he's adjusting his tights every 10 seconds and it's not great because he's not going to get the long form matches he had at his peak in PWG (and I maintain that match with Zack was a full five boy), nor the character work to supplement it. Those are his strengths and while he's fine in tags it's nothing special. He's joked that he won't be around for long and he may not be wrong because there are other guys who do what he's doing right now better and he feels like the odd man out in that trio. In this one particular instance I actually agree with JR and want Chuck to succeed badly because he's fucking hilarious. 

I totally get what your saying and wouldn't entirely disagree if the initial criticism of Chuck hadn't come from Ross.  That's like Daryl Gates telling a city their police department needs to tighten their ship a bit.

Completely fair. I think they gave Chuck a shot here on Monday and while the match was pretty good, I don't think he won over detractors or doubters. Awful Waffle worked well though and I think it was the first time JR was on board so maybe I'm being a bit too harsh. I'm anxious for Chuck to succeed! 

I also fully understand the dislike of both the WWE influenced wall with Darby and the jericho/mox back and forth. But the main event was heck of good and the Mox stuff prior to the interruption had Jon looking like a star.

Edit: in general this was the most WWEalike episode they've done and I get that after a big show you need to inhale for the next set of shows but I hope we don't veer towards this stuff regularly and they learn from some of the mistakes on this show. They've done a great job of adapting so far, so I have hope. On the other hand, some people enjoyed the layout.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1