DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

14 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

So intentionally not saving Mox and walking into a 2-on-1 assbeating is somehow in Darby's best interest? 

I don't think I caveated that with intent.  I just said that kayfabe Darby Allin has no obligation to save john Moxley's ass and Moxley being the lone wolf champ sees everyone as a potential contender, even babyface tag team partners.  When you're the champ, you have a bullseye on your forehead and a target on your back.

• Like 1

Some more thoughts:

If Swole is squashing people this week she probably shouldn’t be getting pinned last week.

Death Triangle should go by the English and Spanish names equally and sell shirts with either option. I would wear the fuck out of a minimalist metal white-on-black design.

If Jericho is coming out twice in one night we don’t karaoke both times. In fact, cutting off the first singalong would’ve amped his heat for the promo.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

If Jericho is coming out twice in one night we don’t karaoke both times. In fact, cutting off the first singalong would’ve amped his heat for the promo.

Jericho needs to borrow from Daniel Bryan's heel indie run where he'd either cut off his walk-out music (which alternated between The Final Countdown and Ride of the Valkryies) prematurely if the crowd was into it too much or he'd just walk out to no music at all just to spite the fans.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Jericho needs to borrow from Daniel Bryan's heel indie run where he'd either cut off his walk-out music (which alternated between The Final Countdown and Ride of the Valkryies) prematurely if the crowd was into it too much or he'd just walk out to no music at all just to spite the fans.

That would be grand.  But I always saw it as Jericho has such a huge ego that no matter how much he hates the fans he just can't help but have this happen with one of his songs.  That said doing this once is enough and it was overkill second time around.  Or just truncate it when on stage at the beginning instead of just standing there.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That would be grand.  But I always saw it as Jericho has such a huge ego that no matter how much he hates the fans he just can't help but have this happen with one of his songs.  That said doing this once is enough and it was overkill second time around.  Or just truncate it when on stage at the beginning instead of just standing there.

He could always go the Big Van Vader Does Not Moonsault On Free TV route.

"If you wanna hear Judas during my walk out, you need to buy the PPV."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The theme singalong is special for a wider audience than on this board where, sure, we’d like to move it along (sometimes).  Not everything is for ‘us’.  So too some of the waiting for the crowd to get their chants in.  Looks good to the unfamiliar.  Makes these guys seem bigger than life.  I’m not in need of complaining.

They should have jumped Darby, but I let it slide and enjoyed the fuck out of that main event.  Darby and Sammy are on fire.  Jericho’s leading the way!

How in the hell r me and @Nice Guy Eddie the only Dark Order fans (or so it seems).  Uno and Grayson are magnificent machines.  So to Colt Cabana - fantastic debut!  That match was a lot more fun to me than most it seems.

Archer debut bait and switch was one of the bigger mistakes aew has made.

Pac-Taylor was fun.  Kinda weak finish, but loved that insane corner driver spot (didn’t catch it’s name).  And Fenix, Pentagon and Pac - Death Triangle!  Life is but a dream, sweetheart!

Jake and MJF promos were rad.  I dug this show from start to finish. I was hoping for more of the stories continuing (OC-Pac the most) with a little spice, so I got what I was looking for.  Lots of snaking/intersecting stories.  Tremendous and well thought booking with minimal mistakes. Lots to fuel the imagination.  AEW still ascending to the heavens!  Goddamned Adam fucking Page!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The theme singalong is special for a wider audience than on this board where, sure, we’d like to move it along (sometimes).  Not everything is for ‘us’.  So too some of the waiting for the crowd to get their chants in.  Looks good to the unfamiliar.  Makes these guys seem bigger than life.  I’m not in need of complaining.

Isn't this your take every week, though?

It's not a matter of whether it's "for me" or not. When people drag out the entrances and the chanting, the television show drags. The atmosphere might be great in the arena, but the overwhelming majority of people watching aren't in the arena. 

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

As I expected, the ratings went up for an angle heavy show. I actually liked last nights episode a lot, but I prefer the last two episodes of Dynamite. I know post PPV, but For some reason the wrestling heavy shows rate lower than the angle heavy shows.

Because they're a million times more enjoyable, and provide characters for people to invest in rather than having robots working same-y robot matches. Seven star classics are not going to increase the ratings one bit.

• Thanks 1

Let the crowd do what it wants. The more they're engaged the better the product. It's up to the wrestlers to toy with / react / control the crowd. Jake showed last night how to control the crowd- and he hasn't had a stick in his hand in 25 years.

For all the "neck beard" comments I see here... I just have to wonder how many of us are who we seem to hate? I bet it's a large majority. It's ok to be a scruffy muffin, guys.

I love my cargo shorts. 

I liked the show. Seeing Colt legit have the time of his life in there is inspiring. 

• Like 8

I myself was wondering if Jericho was going to cut the fans off on singing this week, and yeah it's kind of played, but he doesn't need to do in order to get heat so I get the logic of allowing it to continue. The majority of people watching aren't in the arena, but pro wrestling is in 2020 a sort of wrestler-audience co-creation and....it's good that people see the live audience and get that AEW is very over with the audience.

And with exceptions, that's the key difference between AEW and WWE - a lot of the AEW roster are actually OVER, including Jericho. That's important. So I'm with HAG here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Isn't this your take every week, though?

It's not a matter of whether it's "for me" or not. When people drag out the entrances and the chanting, the television show drags. The atmosphere might be great in the arena, but the overwhelming majority of people watching aren't in the arena. 

Of not needing to complain?  Yeah, that's how I've felt most weeks.  I love this show.  I'm the lapsed fan they speak of, maybe.  I stopped watching over 15 years ago.  I came back for ECW One Night Stand and the second One Night Stand, and quickly got out again.  I don't see AEW as perfect or my absolute vision of what wrestling can be, but it's the most fun I've had watching wrestling since ECW closed it doors and WWF became  WWE.  

I get what you're saying, but I'm not bothered by the crowds.  These crowds are respectful and fuel the excitement.  But specifically to the complaint on waiting for them to get a chant in or singing 'Judas' - I think it looks great on TV.  Especially to the new viewer, and they are always looking for the new viewer.  Again, makes Mox and Jericho and whomever look like big money players.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You know what would take this to the next level? If Jake slowly descended into (further) madness and became Colonel Kurtz with his head fully shaved.

I think Jake could finally make the "snail crawling along the edge of a straight razor" line sound convincing instead of completely ridiculous.

I'm all about the angle-heavy stuff as compared to their in-ring so it looks like this show was meant for me.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Jericho ain’t cutting off the fans. Do you know how much this dude is probably making off residuals? Hell I bet you he’s going to make even more residuals off sporting teams playing this in their arenas just because of these reactions.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I don't think anyone is saying Jericho shouldn't do the singalong, just not twice in two hours. And I think it would've added to his promo if he cut the audience off, show he's mad and doesn't have time for it. He could even tell them to save it for later since we knew he was coming back out. I'm not dunking on the audience reaction at all, it shows they remain engaged. Then they come back with a 'Fozzy sucks' chant and you know that one hurt him deep down.

19 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Ween cover!?!

Edit: A live version from Godweensatanlive.  Deep cut Darby!  Tasteful daredevil is he.  I completely forgot about 'Birthday Boy'!

If Darby was in the WWE today he would be deemphasized because he got injured.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Let the crowd do what it wants. The more they're engaged the better the product. It's up to the wrestlers to toy with / react / control the crowd. Jake showed last night how to control the crowd- and he hasn't had a stick in his hand in 25 years.

For all the "neck beard" comments I see here... I just have to wonder how many of us are who we seem to hate? I bet it's a large majority. It's ok to be a scruffy muffin, guys.

I love my cargo shorts. 

I liked the show. Seeing Colt legit have the time of his life in there is inspiring. 

My beard is a neatly trimmed chin-strap. I also like cargo shorts. The more pockets, the better to hold my phone, keys, inhaler, hand sanitizer, and lip balm.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hangman Page is the man at the minute.

For some reason the reactions he’s getting remind me of late 96/early 97 Steve Austin. For that reason alone I kind of want him to have AEWs secondary singles title (when him and Kenny eventually lose the tag titles) just so he can fling it around the place and use it as a beer coaster. 

When he gets cleaned up and wins the world title in a year from now it’s gonna be insane