DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

There was a lot of dead weight on the show but at least the squashes were short outside of the Dork Odor match. Disappointed we didn't get a REVEAL for the Exalted One but Matt can't appear tonight because of some bullshit convention he's getting paid for on the weekend not allowing AEW talent (except Jake is on the poster, sooo...). 

But yeah, that Jake promo. I was so nervous for pretty much the entire thing but he fucking nailed it. Caesar is such a great jab at Cody and the DISRESPECT of the man to drop that cold blooded line about turning your back on a man right before doing the damn thing. Just incredible shit. Either Lance or Brodie are lucky boys having Jake around to cut promos like that. Fuck. Then MJF piled on with the great barb about the neck tattoo and the Valentine-style shirt. It certainly seems to be raining shit on Cody.

Darby was unbelievable in that main event. He was already a breakout star but this solidified a brother. Tagged himself in for the hot tag? Uh, yeah! Mox gets to be a bad ass with the comeback while Inner Circle gets their heat back with the Shield powerbomb on Mox. So great. Fantastic swerve with the stip.

And that Moxley promo to start before it turned into WWE Raw shit with Jericho on the stage was probably his best mic work ever. He meant that shit. Simple, effective stuff from the heart even though a lot of it is cliched but it's only cliched because so many of us have been saying it for the past 20 years. The crowd was 100% into that man and perhaps the hottest sustained reaction for anything in AEW's brief history.

For a show with one good match, it was still pretty great despite that. Neat. 

edit: how in the blue hell can i be over here forgetting "whooped both of their asses"? Chyron master, Hangman Adam. 

AND DEATH TRIANGLE! FUCK YES!

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

There was a lot of dead weight on the show but at least the squashes were short outside of the Dork Odor match. Disappointed we didn't get a REVEAL for the Exalted One but Matt can't appear tonight because of some bullshit convention he's getting paid for on the weekend not allowing AEW talent (except Jake is on the poster, sooo...). 

But yeah, that Jake promo. I was so nervous for pretty much the entire thing but he fucking nailed it. Caesar is such a great jab at Cody and the DISRESPECT of the man to drop that cold blooded line about turning your back on a man right before doing the damn thing. Just incredible shit. Either Lance or Brodie are lucky boys having Jake around to cut promos like that. Fuck. Then MJF piled on with the great barb about the neck tattoo and the Valentine-style shirt. It certainly seems to be raining shit on Cody.

Darby was unbelievable in that main event. He was already a breakout star but this solidified a brother. Tagged himself in for the hot tag? Uh, yeah! Mox gets to be a bad ass with the comeback while Inner Circle gets their heat back with the Shield powerbomb on Mox. So great. Fantastic swerve with the stip.

And that Moxley promo to start before it turned into WWE Raw shit with Jericho on the stage was probably his best mic work ever. He meant that shit. Simple, effective stuff from the heart even though a lot of it is cliched but it's only cliched because so many of us have been saying it for the past 20 years. The crowd was 100% into that man and perhaps the hottest sustained reaction for anything in AEW's brief history.

For a show with one good match, it was still pretty great despite that. Neat. 

Everytime someone uses the term Dork Odor or Dork Order, a baby gets punted. Gene Snitsky is the Exalted One.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Well, Fozzy does indeed suck.

Not going to lie, 'Judas' has grown on me. Haven't really liked anything else I've heard. Apparently they're pretty awesome live though.

• Like 1

Jake being a manager for Harper AND Archer would be great, but they already have an absolutely loaded tag team/trios scene, and they need more singles guys so the rankings aren't just the same dudes in different positions every week. I'm hard pressed to pick one of them over the other if those are indeed the two choices for Jake's client. Brodie doesn't really need it, but his aura fits with Jake more than the crazy man Lance Archer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Custos said:

Beware the Ides of March, Cody. 
Ive only seen the Jake appearance so far but that was fantastic.

Some twitter doorknob tried to say March 15th was the day Caesar was killed and AEW is in Rochester on the 15th before looking at the calendar. Would be unbelievable levels of cool if true but it's the 18th. 

Late edit: to be clear, Eddie, I like the Dork Odor but it's too Larry Z cheese to pass on every fucking time, brother.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t know how I feel about this episode. It was a little less star studded at times in the first hour, but it picked up with Jake followed by Orange Cassidy, then it stayed consistently fun, and chaotic during the rest of the show. But I’m not a fan of bait, and switches no matter how good the results ended up being for that main event. But it was a good hot result during the match, and afterwards with the heels celebrating.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

With Hager and Wardlow already there as bigger heels, one of Lee or Archer (I pick Lee) should come in as a face as they only have Luchasaurus on that side (unless you count Dustin I guess). I’d roll with something like Jurassic Express rounds out the face team at B&G, heels take out Stunt before the match, Lee is the surprise replacement as the fifth face entrant. Newark would melt to the ground.

Edited by For Great Justice

I don't think either Brodie or Archer really need Jake as their mouthpiece. Now, I could get behind Jake as the Exalted One. 

I was kind of expecting Archer to come to Darby's aid once Mox was taken out.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Jake being a manager for Harper AND Archer would be great, but they already have an absolutely loaded tag team/trios scene, and they need more singles guys so the rankings aren't just the same dudes in different positions every week. I'm hard pressed to pick one of them over the other if those are indeed the two choices for Jake's client. Brodie doesn't really need it, but his aura fits with Jake more than the crazy man Lance Archer.

Yeah, Archer is so far removed from a snake I have a hard time buying it's him. Brodie can cut a promo but Jake is an all timer despite the ultra raspy voice these days. 

• Like 1

The point is that AEW advertised Archer's debut tonight and didn't deliver. Since that time they've deleted the tweets and announcement on his debut.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/lance-archer-to-make-debut-on-next-weeks-aew-dynamite/

It's fine if they wanted to hold it off and build it up more, but they were the ones who announced it for tonight. That's on them.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JonnyLaw said:

Death Triangle is an awesome group with a considerably less than awesome name.

El Triangulo de la Muerte would be their official name if anyone backstage is smart.

• Like 3

Just now, TheVileOne said:

The point is that AEW advertised Archer's debut tonight and didn't deliver. Since that time they've deleted the tweets and announcement on his debut.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/lance-archer-to-make-debut-on-next-weeks-aew-dynamite/

It's fine if they wanted to hold it off and build it up more, but they were the ones who announced it for tonight. That's on them.

I didn't know they advertised that. Yeah, that's two WWE moves this week between this and the announcing a gimmick match for non-storyline purposes.

Main event I don't feel like it was a huge bait and switch and I actually think it worked better without Mox in there.

• Like 1

Just now, JonnyLaw said:

Death Triangle is an awesome group with a considerably less than awesome name.

I love the name. I know Cody has said he doesn't want a "mid-card" title, but I would love a trios title. There's already a nice collection of trios and factions.

The Elite, Inner Circle, Dark Order, Death Triange, Best Friends & Orange, Jungle Express, SCU

• Like 2

Just now, Oyaji said:

I didn't know they advertised that. Yeah, that's two WWE moves this week between this and the announcing a gimmick match for non-storyline purposes.

Main event I don't feel like it was a huge bait and switch and I actually think it worked better without Mox in there.

Chances are Moxley is still hurt, possibly concussed, from Revolution and couldn't wrestle tonight, but he was there and they came up with an angle to keep him out of the match and still had him out to at the end. So that's a bit more understandable.

The Lance Archer thing they flat out lied about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

El Triangulo de la Muerte would be their official name if anyone backstage is smart.

Jim Ross: Excalibur, tell us more about Elle Triggerangola della Morton.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Chances are Moxley is still hurt, possibly concussed, from Revolution and couldn't wrestle tonight, but he was there and they came up with an angle to keep him out of the match and still had him out to at the end. So that's a bit more understandable.

I'd like to assume the decision makers in this company aren't so dopey that they're powerbombing concussed dudes off the stage through tables.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'd like to assume the decision makers in this company aren't so dopey that they're powerbombing concussed dudes off the stage through tables.

Keep in mind AEW has no Wellness Policy, and that's straight from Meltzer. I doubt they have a concussion policy in place either. 

Edited by TheVileOne

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Keep in mind AEW has no Wellness Policy, and that's straight from Meltzer. I doubt they have a concussion policy in place either. 

I don't know about that but I was wondering about both Mox and Dustin and both were very physically engaged tonight. You'd certainly hope they'd have something in place regarding concussions.

• Like 1