DVDVR Message Board

Coincidental similarities

Brian Fowler

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I hate to cosign this, but 9 posts in @Tarheel Moneghetti has already made two powerful enemies.

I was gonna bring that up as soon as I read it but thought "I'll sit back and let this one ride, see who says something first". It only took one (1) post before it got decried ?

Yeah, this is not the place for Dredd haters. I'd wager 99.9% of it gave it at least a B-.

• Like 1

How could you possibly dislike Dredd? It was fucking awesome.

On the "retrofit script" thing, Saw II was a script that got bounced around as "too much of a Saw rip-off" until Lionsgate decided to just make it a Saw movie.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, rainmakerrtv said:

Surprised I haven't seen this one come up, The Truman Show and EdTV (at least in a Yin/Yang sense).

That one is really weird. On the surface/in advertising they looked so similar, but are really vastly different movies, yet they both so accurately pointed towards the real future. The Truman Show being a masterpiece kinda buried EdTV, but it's a good film and worth watching.

40 minutes ago, rainmakerrtv said:

Surprised I haven't seen this one come up, The Truman Show and EdTV (at least in a Yin/Yang sense).

Yeah but both of those movies stole their plots from Twilight Zone episodes like Special Service from the 1989 run and an episode from the 1959 run that I can't think of off of the top of my head.

Okay, these didn't come out at the same time, but the French movie Ils (Them) in 2006 followed by The Strangers in 2008. Allegedly The Strangers is not a remake of Ils and the fact that they're the exact same movie is just coincidence.

• Like 1

Didn't someone involved with Antz work for Pixar and something happened and they left and made their own insect cgi film?

48 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Didn't someone involved with Antz work for Pixar and something happened and they left and made their own insect cgi film?

Jeffery Katzenberg. He was a top level executive at Disney, had a falling out with Michael Eisner, wound up at DreamWorks and rushed Antz because of A Bug's Life.

Things to Do in Denver When You’re Dead. Plays like a total Tarantino ripoff, but I think it was shot concurrently with or just after Pulp Fiction’s production and the screenplay predated Reservoir Dogs. I’ve always had an affinity for that movie despite its flaws and general weirdness. Also, more movies should be named after Zevon songs.  

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 4

On 3/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, J.T. said:

I learned from "Cast Away," "Terminal," and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" that Tom Hanks should never be allowed anywhere near an airport or a jet airplane because disaster will happen.

And run far away if Matt Damon is in your group.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 11:24 AM, (BP) said:

Body of Evidence was roasted for being a Basic Instinct rip-off Madonna vehicle; however, it was actually shot first but released later. It’s still a much shittier movie than Basic Instinct. 

That's amazing that it was filmed first because it absolutely feels like a clone of Basic Instinct.  As you said, a much, much, MUCH worse clone.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:00 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I was gonna bring that up as soon as I read it but thought "I'll sit back and let this one ride, see who says something first". It only took one (1) post before it got decried ?

Yeah, this is not the place for Dredd haters. I'd wager 99.9% of it gave it at least a B-.

I thought it was mediocre at best. Anything with so many shots that only exist to be shown in/show off 3-D is wasting my time. 

I also don't like The Crow (though TBF that's after years of thinking it was "soooooo great" and more recently gakking on the 90s schlock of it all), so... we exist. We're here. 

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

Things to Do in Denver When You’re Dead. Plays like a total Tarantino ripoff, but I think it was shot concurrently with or just after Pulp Fiction’s production and the screenplay predated Reservoir Dogs. I’ve always had an affinity for that movie despite its flaws and general weirdness. Also, more movies should be named after Zevon songs.  

I LOVE this flick. It does get lumped in with the Tarantino rip-offs, but man I don't care. Chock full of great character actors just killing it. So good.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 12:03 AM, (BP) said:

I can’t believe we got this far without mentioning Wyatt Earp and Tombstone. 

Came in to say this.  Wyatt Earp had Costner behind it, everyone assumed that to be the more successful project and Tombstone had a lot of odd behind the scenes shit going on with it and yet Tombstone was the far better movie and the one most people remember.  Hell of a cast in Tombstone.  

Any chance I get to discuss it..  I love,  I've seen it maybe a hundred times.  

• Like 3

On 3/6/2020 at 8:29 PM, Contentious C said:

I thought it was mediocre at best. Anything with so many shots that only exist to be shown in/show off 3-D is wasting my time. 

I also don't like The Crow (though TBF that's after years of thinking it was "soooooo great" and more recently gakking on the 90s schlock of it all), so... we exist. We're here. 

I loved Dread but agree about The Crow. Like any broody Gen Xer I loved it at the time, but upon rewatching it when I was older I think it's aged really poorly. Burn is still one of The Cure's better songs though.

High Tension is so similar to the Dean Koontz novel Intensity (which had a very decent two part film adaptation) that it comes off as a remake.

I like The Crow, but I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything. As I understand it, some of the character stuff was never shot due to the tragedy. The studio not letting them do the "black and white present/full color flashbacks" idea hurts what could've been a really cool visual style. It lacks some of the raw intensity of the comic.

But it's an entertaining flick, all in all.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen The Crow, so I don’t know how it’d hold up for me. All I know is they made the right call removing the Skull Cowboy, because boy that would’ve made it a whole other movie. 

• Like 1

As much as I love the movie, The Crow, I willingly acknowledge that it is a dumbed down version of the graphic novel which is very deep and profound and more than just a story of vengeance.

I’m at just the right age where when I read Weird Science my brain jumps to the USA show before I think of the movie. Then I’m down the La Femme Nikita/Silk Stalkings/Up All Night mental rabbit hole and I’m thinking about the greatest period for any television channel ever. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 3/7/2020 at 1:16 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Tombstone was the far better movie and the one most people remember.  Hell of a cast in Tombstone. 

story of a faulty memory:

my family went to the theater and everybody saw Tombstone. except me, who thought "the Saint" was obviously a better movie. after all, Val Kilmer was in it. he was Batman!!  silly me.

of course, before i posted this, i double checked the release dates and see they are YEARS apart. i've had this memory for a long time and have no idea what the real story is. was there another western movie that came out in spring '97?

edit: just realized Kilmer was in Tombstone too. gods, teenage me was a putz.

edit 2: after going through a bunch of lists of movie release dates, the only film i can find that fits this timeframe would be Volcano. That is a much less interesting story. i'm going to continue to remember this as Tombstone.

Edited by twiztor

36 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I’m at just the right age where when I read Weird Science my brain jumps to the USA show before I think of the movie. Then I’m down the La Femme Nikita/Silk Stalkings/Up All Night mental rabbit hole and I’m thinking about the greatest period for any television channel ever. 

All those name drops and no Duckman.  What the fuck, dude.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

All those name drops and no Duckman.  What the fuck, dude.

I got off here and went to YouTube looking for old USA clips, and I came across Duckman! Spaced on that one. I couldn’t remember a single thing besides the conjoined twins, but it’s all coming back to me.