DVDVR Message Board

Music Infomercials

Burgundy LaRue

We had a thread for this on the previous incarnation of the board, where we had fun at the expense at the has-beens, never-weres, and almost-had-its.  Not that all the music was bad, but the presentations were something to behold.  I thought it'd be fun to start it up again.

Here's the full show for the soft rock collection from Time Life:

• Like 1

What gets me with these things is they'll have some random host going gaga over some blast from the past star--Peter Fonda, Kenny Rogers after his fourth facelift, Greg Brady.  How do you score a gig like that?  All you do is gush over some random songs and spaz with the coked-out star next to you.  That's easy money if you ask me.  I want a slice of that pie!

My first "favorite" television show was an infomercial hosted by Dick Clark for a Best of the 1950's CD and cassette collection, and if you called "Within in the next 10 minutes!" you got the special "Best of 1960" CD to go along with your order. This aired in the Mid-90's,  and I say it was my favorite television show because the songs became stuck in my head, and I thought that it would come on every week at the same time. Unfortunately, I didn't understand the concept of infomercials at the time so I would only see it sporadically from there on out.Unrelated Side Story: This was the same channel which changed over to Shop At Home in the middle of the night, and allowed me to watch the Sports Collectible Show with Don West in the middle of the night.

I think iTunes and the like has pretty much killed off these types of sets, because now you can just go and download those one or two songs you liked without having to buy 10 CDs.

I liked them back in the day though, I had a few of the metal ones, because there were a ton of bands that had one or two good songs and the rest of their albums were crap.

The only commercials of this type I see now are for Kidz Bop, which are incredibly creepy.  I always imagine some kiddie toucher listening to the CD is his pedo-van as he cruises around.