DVDVR Message Board

(Also Not March Madness): SECRET SANTO March 2020

Matt D

On 11/27/2020 at 2:55 PM, Octopus said:

Went back to check some of the ones you picked and your first two were a Mid South Dog Collar Match I’ve never seen and Drew Gulak vs Daniel Bryan which was phenomenal. Nah, your picks were great!

Thank you kindly. I think I have a good one so I have at least week one. But we'll see after that. If anything I'll make sure to do better research before picking so I don't pick something like the lesser Taker/Show match. So I guess I'm in. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I'm firmly in the camp of sharing bad but fun wrestling that you enjoyed and fits in with your partners request is better than tryna find that high quality shit you think they are actually looking for.

One of the things i liked about this is it expands my awareness of stuff i might not seek out.

If there is a odd number, I'll round it off ?

• 4 months later...

Thanks to @Octopus, @AxB, and @Smelly McUgly. Apologies for how late this is. I really enjoyed all three choices. Good variety.

Abdullah the Butcher vs Nobuhiko Takada

This is a definite styles clash but I did not know it existed. I think this is in UWFi or something, it doesn't look like NJPW or AJPW. (It was actually Tokyo Pro Wrestling?) Legitimately thought Abdullah was going to go into cardiac arrest in this match he was breathing so heavy.

Takada gets choked by Abdullah early on. Abby doesn't use any weapons in this, which kind of surprised me. Takada eventually just beats Abdullah down and pins him. The odd styles kinda didn't come into play, it felt sort of like those weird Antonio Inoki style fights or early ufc. Abdullah looked out of place. Interesting match.

Steve Casey vs Bernie Wright

I've seen very little World of Sport but what I have seen was unique. 

Oh, shenanigans. Wright hops onto the referee. 

Casey won round 1 and 2 imo.

What a lariat! Fun match. Nice pining by Wright.

Casey is aggressive at the start of round 4. He muscles his way to the next fall. 

Wright loses round 5. Final round, here we go. 

Wright goes flying out of the ring and loses via count out. What a dolt. Steve Casey gets a dirtyish win.

I'd watch more of this. 

Road Warriors vs The High Flyers

Greg Gagne and Jim Bruznell, man Greg's promos did not fill me with confidence for him and Jim. Never seen either of these two wrestle before. Christ, Bruznell can't talk either. Greg really sold me on how much tinier he is compared to the Road Warriors. 

The AWA threw out Paul Ellering for no reason, a bunch of bull shit like Hawk and Animal said. I liked the Road Warriors struggling early due to his then absence. 

That was quite the cheer for Gagne's hot tag. The sleeper spot really quieted the crowd. Such a shitty 80's DQV ending. You said Ellering was banned but he comes out anyways.

Overall fine 80s tag titles match.
  • Like 4