DVDVR Message Board

(Also Not March Madness): SECRET SANTO March 2020

Matt D

In my case, you have to bear in mind that whilst everyone else on the board grew up on 80s or 90s (or earlier for our senior members) American Wrestling, and so to their minds, that's what Wrestling is... I grew up on late 70s/early 80s World of Sport, and to me that's what Wrestling is. Matches that are entirely based around punch exchanges? To me, Not Wrestling. Matches that start out with scientific wrestling and devolve into punch exchanges? That's fair.

I love WoS. It's just a totally different thing to me than '80s NWA. I love them both in their own way. 

Punch exchanges in WoS are great because they always happen due to a loss of cool on somebody's part. Like a heel gets frustrated with a fiery babyface and starts a punch exchange (or a slap exchange). It works because the punches are limited and have weight; you see punches fly in a typical WoS match and you know shit is on. It helps that Kent Walton's voice raises ever-so-slightly, but that is also a marker that now people are getting serious.

In '80s NWA, punch flurries are there because they're awesome and I want to see Bobby Fuller fuck Stan Lane's karate-kicking ass up (btw, I think the point of those stupid Stan Lane kicks is that they don't hurt your body as much as they do your pride because he is clearly not taking you as a threat at the point that he's throwing those). 

The Midnights and Fantastics had a number of what I'd call classics at that time. I think the Fantastics' offense hits the right spot of "daring, but not too clean" that Kenny Omega misses. Omega might be the wrestler that I most like as a person, but can stand to never see wrestle again ever. I'll be so happy for the dude when he wins the AEW World Championship while avoiding as many of his title matches as possible. He hits everything so cleanly that it looks like he's in a gymnastics competition rather than a fight where his cheating asshole heel opponents are going to use every dirty trick in the book to win, so being effective is more important than being pretty.

But to each his own as you said, @AxB. I totally get how this '80s Southern rasslin' style can leave you cold if that's not really your wheelhouse. For me, I used to watch NWA/WCW with my grandma who was from the South, so the style is infused into my soul at this point. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 9:50 AM, Goodear said:

@NikoBaltimore here's something that will fit into a busy schedule.

So at first when seeing the time of the video I thought "Shit, man, I may be busy but 5 minutes?"  Well, for one work's not as busy anymore but for another 5 minutes was all that was  needed from this masterpiece.  So you have The Giant who I think looking back I prefer with more hair.  I guess receding hairlines are a bitch but this look worked for me.  Then you have Meng who is one badass motherfucker that is always a treat to watch.

And when you put them together you get to my absolute delight the WCW equivalent of a king-sized Kaiju battle!  You've got crazy-ass Meng throwing everything he can and Giant trying to fend him off and get the chokeslam.  Meng looked king-sized fending off whatever Giant threw and his roars no-selling it was tremendous.  I had to laugh that Giant was only able to do the chokeslam was because his arm was longer than Meng's.  Great finish and I'd absolutely recommend the shit out of this short but oh-so-sweet match.

And to @Matt D I'm in for next week.  And while my blind spots from earlier in the thread are still true I would be thrilled to have more Kaiju-style matches in my life.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

@gordi asked me to review the Ken Patera against Bob Backlund in a Texas Death Match. Now I know of these guys a good deal due to being a long time listener to Titans of Wrestling, and I have certainly heard about this match in many places. So I have high expectations for this going in, and was eager to watch it.

Before the match even begins Patera stands out as being a fantastic heel. Solid mic work to put over his arrogance, and the Grand Wizard taking off his pants pre match is fun heeling. 

The main thing I’m taking out of this is how un-WWF it feels. I’ve seen a little pre Hogan WWF,  And it typically ends up being rather... unintense?  On top of that, WWF to me from this era and the era before to me was always about dominant babyfaces that always made the heels look inferior. Hell, in many ways Hogan showed more ass as a top level face when he came in then Backlund did from the viewing I have seen.

This match turns both of those ideas on there head. I’m not sure if it was just that they had big plans for Patera (which, well, he had literally just beat Pat Patterson for the IC Belt), but they were damn quick to make this feel like Backlund might have trouble here as Patera was a rare contender who can match Backlund athletically. 

And then there is the biggest takeaway, and that’s for a 1980’s WWF this match is violent to the level I doubt anyone in that crowd was used too. By the end both guys are bleeding, there has been bodyslams on the floor (!!!) And the finish is immediately led to by a fucking chair shot (!!!). That type of shit just wasn’t going on in much of the WWF I’ve watched.

While I don’t think I can say this is a masterclass of heeling quite the level of what I saw in the Jim Breaks match, I will note I think this is a case were Paters looks like a god damned fantastic worker in this. Playing to the crowd, going from ass kicker to begging off and taking some big bumps. I especially loved putting Backlund in a tree of whoa just to try to choke him the fuck out while Backlund couldn’t defend himself. 

Backlund is less my cup of tea in a few ways here, that I will get to briefly, but damn his offense is sharp. The fucking Piledriver in this match with the jump looked fucking brutal, good god.

Really the only thing that bugs me about this match is that Backlund never even gets a 2 count against him. Just felt slightly bullshity to me. Literally everything else about this fucking rules. The crowd was electric, and it was well deserved for this war.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan
  • Like 2

Week 4 Pairings. 

I've not dropped or added anyone. I think people are still enjoying this. Next week, btw, is going to be the Take Your Medicine week where everyone who wants to be in self-selects a match that they know they should watch/have been meaning to watch, but haven't done so. We'll also have a small pool of back-up matches if people don't have those in mind. I had to tweak a little to make sure that we didn't have dupes. I'll be less focused on that if we make it to week 6. 

@OctopusCinema As promised, I'll toss some Bock matches for you next week for medicine time. 

NikoBaltimore
Gordi

Goodear
Matt D

The Man Known as Dan
AxB

Six String Orchestra
Ace

OctopusCinema
supremebve

Super Ape > Curt McGirt > Smelly McUgly

People try to get each other matches today if possible or tomorrow if necessary. Reviews by Saturday. Thanks for playing.

@Goodear, we may have to have a consultation, old friend. If you have any genre/era requests, let me know. Otherwise, I'll give this all some thought.

• Thanks 1

Alright, @Super Ape, I'm throwing up Steiners/Beverly Brothers from the 1993 Royal Rumble here only because I couldn't find a copy of Steiners/Hughes and Vader from the Clash that would be acceptable to you (and good on you for not giving that fucking company any of your money):

But this is one of my favorite tag openers for a WWF PPV from this era, probably due to nostalgia a bit. I love it every time I see it, though. 

Thanks @The Man Known as Dan. I apologize for being late with my review. Crazy week and needed some time. 

Takeshi Morishima vs Bryan Danielson 

My match of 07. It’s been a long time since revisited, so I’m very happy this is my pick. Takeshi Morishima is probably the greatest wrestler I’ve seen live (or at least top 3) and Bryan Danielson has become my favorite all time and arguably in top 5 of my off the top GOAT list. What a match up. What a crowd. I miss seeing these pumped up intimate crowds you’d see at these ROH shows. The roar that’s let out when they say Danielson’s name. Dude was an absolute stud. 

Match starts out, good guy Danielson extends his hand. Honor is in the name of the company, you gotta so respect. Not when you’re a tough guy monster. Not when you’re the mad man Morishima.

Big match feel as the bell rings. The classic beginning of circling each other. At this point in time Bryan is looked at as the best Matt wrestler in the world. But how is he going to lock up with big guy here? He starts with targeted strikes to the leg. The announcers do a great job with the real sports feel of proper explanation of the motivations. After a few kicks, Takeshi locks up and pushes him into the corner, but Danielson slips out and kicks his leg again. Stand off. Takeshi gets close enough for a Greco-Roman knuckle-lock and gets Danielson hurting, follows up with a series of clubs to the head and back. Danielson kicks again. This will be the heart of the match; Beast-like Power vs strategic viscousness. 

After the story is established with a few back and forth moments, we enter the Morishima control segment. With the right seller, Takeshi Morishima swinging his fist around, stomping someone in the corner, and bully shoves around the corner is so fun to watch. Danielson ‘s face as he’s Irish Whipped to the corner shows so much anguish. Selling isn’t just in how your body reacts to moves but how every part of you expresses what’s happening. Danielson not giving up at one point on his back still tries to kick away at Morishima’s legs, to no avail. Takeshi Morishima manhandles him.

Now there’s a moment here I need clarity on. They’re on the outside and a running Morishima kicks Bryan in the head. They hype up Danielson grabbing his eye. Was his retina detached or was that a separate memory I have? Or a different eye injury? Either way, Danielson lifts Takeshi over the guardrail and uses that as a moment to jump from the top ropes and shoulder tackle him in the crowd. Again, grabbing his eye afterwards. Now we enter a Danielson control segment. Very few people can use a chairshot to the leg and still look like a face. 

Control segment looks over when fiery strikes is reversed into a huge Morishima lariat. However a Backdrop driver is revered and we’re entering back and forth swings. Danielson repeatedly goes after the leg, while Morishima has a Target with the eye. But Danielson’s gameplan all along starts to look successful with a leg lock. Morishima eventually powers out. Suplex City.

Danielson’s early leg work proves too much and Morishima eventually falls. Bryan Danielson takes advantage and is now targeting the head of the monster. Reminds me of how in video games you’d have to shoot at a certain body part to shoot to open up where you’d actually hurt his hit points. After a German suplex, Danielson goes through all his ROH greatest hits. Elbows to the forehead, Cattle Mutilation, and the classic head stomp that would later damage the almighty Bork Lesnar! 

Match ends with a backdrop superplex reversed with Morishima’s big Bobby Hill body landing on Bryan’s head. Back Drop Driver ends it all. The monster wins. My favorite match of the year.

A few random thoughts:

- One thing I always read is that Takeshi Morishima is a charisma-less blob. I don’t see that. He’s a stoic bully. People see someone acting like a bully and they think of smugness and unearned cockiness of a meaty-meaty man. He’s not like that. Morishima’s confident and cerebral. He’s just gonna hurt you because that’s what he does. When he’s pained he’s pained. When he’s exhausted he’s exhausted. 

- I also hear this as a David vs Goliath mast has. Very fitting, but to be fun I’ll label it as something different. David vs Goliath implies a small no-way he can win challenger taking on a larger conquerer. This isn’t a young David, but King David. Bryan Danielson is the legend to the ROH faithful. Toppling him would legitimize the Champion-beast. I look at the match almost like a Batman vs Bane.

————

edit: @Matt D, I’m excited to get my Bockwinkel on!

Hey @supremebve, I’m gonna do some research and hit you up with a match tonight.

Edited by OctopusCinema

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Give me a couple ideas about your interest/blind spots, and I'll do the same.

Good idea! 

BLINDSPOTS:

- Joshi. I watched Jaguar Yokota vs Lioness Asuka. My first full Joshi match and it mesmerizing me. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

- British Wrestling past or present. I’ve seen random things here and there but very ignorant to the vast content out there.

- FMW. I’ve only seen Onita vs Funk and I looooved it. 

- 90’s Heavyweight New Japan. @Curt McGirt has been kind enough to send me Hashimoto goodies. That’s the extent of my knowledge of that period Japan, outside of All Japan.

- Never seen a Puerto Rico match.

INTERESTS:

- A month or so ago I’ve been on a El Satanico and Negro Casas binge. 

- Love me some NOAH championship run Kenta Kobashi 

- Terry Funk puts a smile on me

- I like legendary wrestlers have good matches as old men. 

- Laphroig or Balvenie Doublewood for scotch. Tito’s Vodka, but I’ve been going with Skaalven recently. Hendricks Gin, but Churchill is cheap and dry and I don’t want to spend the money right now. Disaronno is good for a mix. My dad would keep Evan Williams Whiskey next to the garbage under the sink, so I have a soft spot for it.

Okay, so we got one week before the hammer comes down. Matt, next week (if allowed under the rules), I'm giving that to you as your pick out of the French Catch stuff because I've not been watching it, and I feel bad for not doing so. 

Here is my pick for I guess Super Ape? 

So @The Man Known as Dan, we meet again. I'll give you a multiple choice. If you're pushed for time, 23 minutes of The Bhangra Knights vs A Tribe Called Catch:

(nb: It's not letting me link to the exact match because the whole show is a playlist. But the one I want is number 5 in the playlist).

If, however, you have plenty of times on your hands, 49 minutes of David Starr vs Jordan Devlin:

If you have ridiculous amounts of time, watch both ?

Edited by AxB

10 hours ago, gordi said:

More kaiju-style matches, you say? I hear you. I hear you.

Thank you kindly, can't wait to watch this as I don't recall ever seeing a Killer Khan match. Are your blind spots you mentioned previously still the same? Or is there something else that you're looking for. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Thank you kindly, can't wait to watch this as I don't recall ever seeing a Killer Khan match. Are your blind spots you mentioned previously still the same? Or is there something else that you're looking for. 

Blind spots remain the same, but I also wouldn't mind a kaiju-style match. I'm open to pretty much anything.

It's an atypical Khan match, in that he's basically playing face in peril to a heel Andre. As my man Elliott put it, he's like the world's weirdest Ricky Morton in this one. 

Edited by gordi

@Matt DLet's go to MLW for some Mance Warner vs. Bestia 666 .  It opens this show so ignore the run time of the entire video.  It's about 14 minutes long.  I don't remember you following MLW but let me know if you've seen this already.  Warner is Bunkhouse Buck 2020.  That's my pitch.

Five minute bonus of The Contra Unit's debut which is worth seeing.

• Like 1

I still say MLW doesn't give you the full Mance Warner experience, because he doesn't use Simple Man by Skynyrd as his music there. 

I can take or leave garbage matches, but Ole Mancer's character work has been the best part of MLW other than maybe The Dynasty since I started watching a year ago. Just endlessly entertaining. He could be big for either AEW or WWE and either option would help him to ease up on the deathmatch insanity.

ETA: Why *don't* they use Simple Man? My least favorite Skynyrd song by a mile, but it's not like they are mailing royalty checks to anyone for the copyrighted music they're using.

Edited by MORELOCK

I would guess MLW's excuse is that they're using instrumental versions so it "doesn't count", which wouldn't hold up in a court of law, but it's something. But even if you play an instrumental version of Simple Man, enough fans would sing along with it anyway that it wouldn't really be an instrumental any more.