DVDVR Message Board

UFC 248: Adesanya vs. Romero (3/7/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

EPacBT1WsAAInTO.jpeg?1580264100

UFC 248: Adesanya vs. Romero 
March 7, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

UFC Middleweight Championship: Israel Adesanya © (184.5) vs. Yoel Romero (185) (first defense) - Adesanya, DEC (unanimous)
UFC Women's Strawweight Championship: Weili Zhang © (115) vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk (115) (first defense) - Zhang, DEC (split)
Beneil Dariush (156) vs. Drakkar Klose (156) - Dariush, KO (punch), R2 (1:00)
Neil Magny (171) vs. Jingliang Li (171) - Magny, DEC (unanimous)
Alex Oliveira (171) vs. Max Griffin (170.5) - Oliveira, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN Preliminary Card:
Sean O'Malley (135.5) vs. José Alberto Quiñónez (135.5) - O'Malley, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:02)
Mark Madsen (156) vs. Austin Hubbard (154.5) - Madsen, DEC (unanimous)
Rodolfo Vieira (186) vs. Saparbek Safarov (186) - Vieira, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (2:58)
Gerald Meerschaert (185) vs. Deron Winn (185.5) - Meerschaert, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (2:13)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Giga Chikadze (146) vs. Jamall Emmers (145.5) - Chikadze, DEC (split)
Danaa Batgerel (136) vs. Guido Cannetti (135.5) - Batgarel, KO (punches), R1 (3:01)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Sean O'Malley
Performance of the Night: Beneil Dariush
Fight of the Night: Weili Zhang vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk

Attendance: 15,077
Gate: $2.74 million

Cancelled Fights:
Robert Whittaker vs. Jared Cannonier - Whittaker Withdrew From Bout 
Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar - Injury to Stephens 
Movsar Evloev vs. Douglas Silva de Andrade - Injury to Silva de Andrade 
Derek Brunson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan - Bout Moved to Another Card 
Movsar Evloev vs. Jamall Emmers - Injury to Evolev 
Emily Whitmire vs. Polyana Viana - Whitmire Hospitalized Due to Illness

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

• jaedmc pinned this topic
3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Please don't let this be true.

This is probably going to be a situation where the fighter denies the staph and then after the fight, we learn he has been dealing with this for weeks.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Well, if Israel loses the fight, the excuse seems to be baked into the training camp.  I hate this when it happens.

Now we have drama even before Yoel weighs in.

BTW Cannonier isn't available as backup because of an injury he suffered a few weeks back. Shahbazyan vs. Brunson was moved from this card to beef up the Portland card with Overeem vs. Walt Harris on top. So there are no backups if someone drops out.

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Now we have drama even before Yoel weighs in.

BTW Cannonier isn't available as backup because of an injury he suffered a few weeks back. Shahbazyan vs. Brunson was moved from this card to beef up the Portland card with Overeem vs. Walt Harris on top. So there are no backups if someone drops out.

I just hope that pride doesn't make Israel fight if his body isn't ready.  I'd like for both guys to be able to leave it in the cage no matter who wins.

I'd expect Israel to do something dumb and take the fight just because he probably doesn't want to be stripped of the belt he just earned, especially since this is his first title defense.

With no back-ups, there is huge pressure for both men to make the fight.  You don't want to be the dude that causes a main event cancellation, but this is a fight that you could kick down the road and still expect it to draw.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I just hope that pride doesn't make Israel fight if his body isn't ready.  I'd like for both guys to be able to leave it in the cage no matter who wins.

I'd expect Israel to do something dumb and take the fight just because he probably doesn't want to be stripped of the belt he just earned, especially since this is his first title defense.

With no back-ups, there is huge pressure for both men to make the fight.  You don't want to be the dude that causes a main event cancellation, but this is a fight that you could kick down the road and still expect it to draw.

If there is pressure on anyone on this card, it's both Adesanya and Zhang for the simple fact the UFC wants to make stars out of them and doing it stateside is really the way to do that (at least in their opinion). We saw it with McGregor. He had that one fight with Diego Brandao in Ireland, and then never went back ever again. Adesanya had 57,000 at a stadium show. They could easily do that again and again if they wanted to in Australia. Weili Zhang for the Jessica Andrade fight had a major Chinese celebs attending the event. Afterwards, Dana was extremely adamant about making Zhang's next fight here in the U.S. There is big pressure on both of them to shine. It doesn't help that both are not in there with cupcakes exactly. People don't want to fight Yoel Romero WITHOUT a staph infection. If Adesanya has it, I see it just being that much more difficult. With the women's strawweight title fight and in the division in general, I don't see one girl being head and shoulders above the rest. Zhang could wind up being that person, but she still has to prove it against Joanna.

• Like 2

The fact that a fighter can go into the cage with staph always amazes me.  Seriously, they have to go through medical testing to fight.  How do so many fighters go into the cage with staph that I, with absolutely no medical training, can diagnose from my couch?

• Like 2

What a great post birthday treat in the two title fights. Be interesting to see whether Yoel Romero makes the middleweight title limit considering he's failed the two times before when the belt was up for grabs. Israel Adesanya's a favourite of mine. Hoping Weili Zhang does to Joanna Jędrzejczyk what Rose Namajunas did to Joanna in their first fight. I'll predict Israel by decision and Weili with a TKO in R2. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the first round.

• Like 1

Over the weekend, a video interview of UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya drew some speculations. In the said clip, “The Last Stylebender” was seen with a small bump on his left arm, drawing concerns of a possible staph infection.

Adesanya himself appeared on the Ariel Helwani MMA Show on Monday to assure everyone that there is nothing to be worried about.

“It’s just a little something, a little scrape of myself,” Adesanya said (transcript via MMA Fighting). “That sh-t happens, but whatever. I’ll rub it on his face when it’s time.”

Okay, I am more than a little concerned.  A little scrape?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

A scrape? I know the contrast is altered so it's more visible which makes him look sicker - but...yeah I'd be concerned if I was a fan.

Yeah, that shit is not a mat burn.  I've had enough of them to know what they look like.

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Still remember this, the punch that laid Rockhold out and the brutal unprotected uppercut.

Israel may be pleased with his chin after getting the better of Bobby Wittaker in their fight and Bobby does not throw powder puffs, but it's not wise to take one to give one when you're in there with a guy like Yoel Romero.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1