DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2020

Dolfan in NYC

22 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

He could've gotten it on his abs, his chest, or his shoulder. Instead...he put it smack dab on his neck. It's just...why?

Hell, he should have gotten it airbrushed on the back of a Ford F150 and added some truck nuts to boot. At least he wouldn't have to look at it in the mirror that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jim Cornette of all people is praising AEW's handling of the quarantines. 

"The only ones who got it right were All Elite because they had fun with the situation and put on a wrestling show rather than a show that made fun of wrestling because of the situation."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Jim Cornette of all people is praising AEW's handling of the quarantines. 

And he trashed Braun Strowman for the comments he made.

DOGS AND CATS, LIVING TOGETHER, MASS HYSTERIA!

• Haha 4

AEW has been winning Jim over at times. He still hates Omega and Cassidy and Stunt, but he's been much more complimentary.

Partially, I think it's because a lot of the acts he dislikes have been mostly on Dark, but mostly I don't think it's a coincidence that he's been getting more into Dynamite ever since they started watching RAW and then SmackDown a month or so back.

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

AEW has been winning Jim over at times. He still hates Omega and Cassidy and Stunt, but he's been much more complimentary.

Partially, I think it's because a lot of the acts he dislikes have been mostly on Dark, but mostly I don't think it's a coincidence that he's been getting more into Dynamite ever since they started watching RAW and then SmackDown a month or so back.

I haven't listen to Jim since week 2 or week 3 of Dynamite and not get into this discussion again, but I still don't get the whole physique thing. The All Petite thing was well after I stopped listening, but he was making fun of Omega being jacked up. There always struck me as peculiar. Kenny Omega could pretty much beat the shit out of Jim Cornette when he was Kenny's age now (granted that was when Jim was becoming or already fat as shit), but he can't take him seriously and says he does roids. 

So to me, his compliments as just as invalid as some of his criticism.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I feel like Sammy is one of those people you might not want to wrestle if you feel some sort of way about testing positive for something. Good luck, Kenny.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Haha 3

Anyone who misses the old squash match format of Wrestling TV should watch this week's Dark. Almost every match is AEW Superstar vs unknown indie wrestler. Except I knew who most of the unknown indie wrestlers were, because it's 2020.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, AxB said:

Anyone who misses the old squash match format of Wrestling TV should watch this week's Dark. Almost every match is AEW Superstar vs unknown indie wrestler. Except I knew who most of the unknown indie wrestlers were, because it's 2020.

I hope Sugar Dunkerton gets signed.

• Like 2

I've been away from the board for a while (work stuff) but I felt compelled to come back to state something:

All my life, I was a diehard WWF/WWE fan (still am, for the former part) no matter what other company may have come up to try compete I was a homer for them.

I've been watching AEW (mostly out of curiosity) since about week 4.

It's easily my favorite promotion now.

It started slowly, but in the past two months it's become full fledged. A combination of them doing things right and WWE doing things wrong has made me a believer. I just enjoy their shows so much. Monday's and Friday's used to be the high point of my week, but now that's been moved to Tuesday and Wednesdays. I enjoy so many things about the show, the humorous lower thirds, the hilarious commentary, seeing new wrestlers all the time, not trying to browbeat you over the stupidest points, stories that make logical/technical sense, wrestlers not just going through the paces, it's just been....refreshing. The company literally has everything a wrestling fan could ask for, all types/styles/characters/stories/etc.

My wife has actually gotten into the show as well. She's a self-professed fan of the "flippy bullshit" (thanks Corny) of The Young Bucks. My favorite team is The Butcher & The Blade. We both love Moxley, Dr. Luther, Brandon Cutler & Sonny Kiss, JR's and/or Taz's wacky commentary every week. I don't like The Young Bucks. She doesn't like The Dark Order. We both agree Sammy Guevara is the heelist heel around today. Jericho's Inner Circle is brilliant.

We went to the Royal Rumble this year in Houston, and during the women's RR she asked "Where's the dentist and the alien?" I had to remind her she was talking about the wrong company. The entire section around us began to talk about how much they enjoyed AEW over WWE.

These past weeks with the empty arena shows were very....telling. The first SD was okay, then Raw was more of the same. The first empty arena Dynamite was a breath of fresh air. You could actually present an entertaining show with no audience! It's hard to go back. Watching Raw and SD now feels like a chore. Minus rooting for Otis, I don't think there's any current story line that either of us are interested in.

I'm not sure where I was going with this, but I had to let it out. I genuinely enjoy the hell out of the show, it's made wrestling fun again.

• Like 12

I questioned Billy Gunn’s signing in the pre-don aew, but came to the assumption he must be a good guy.  From watching the recent unrestricted podcast I can see this guy seems like a really terrific guy. 

Also, no surprise, Arm comes off on his podcast like one of the most decent gentleman to ever grace the industry.  Also, that podcast is next to Dynamite my favorite thing happening in wrestling right now.

Best wishes and be safe out there drivers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

My favorite team is The Butcher & The Blade. We both love Moxley, Dr. Luther, Brandon Cutler & Sonny Kiss, JR's and/or Taz's wacky commentary every week.

For one, really liked your whole post.  I've had to stop myself from going all-out "I LOVE AEW!" at times but without meaning to denigrate anybody else it really is my go-to promotion.  Heck, I almost like it as much as Tromatagon likes W*ING.  I say almost because of how knee-deep he is in it and all that.

Our favorites aside from the top guys are Cutler and Sonny.  Cutler my wife loves for the D&D stuff though she's hoping he starts winning soon.  And we just adore the crap out of Sonny so much.  I never saw her root for somebody as much as she has for him and Nyla for that matter.  I do like the others you mentioned to varying degrees also.  But that's the cool thing as even if they're not that super beloved on here (example:  Luther) they're at least given a chance to shine in their roles.

• Like 3

Going through all of the Dynamite episodes that are On Demand, basically starting at the beginning of the year, to get caught up. I didn’t know what to make of The Inner Circle from the occasional glimpses I’ve caught before, but watching them on weekly TV I can see why they’re the kind of talent with whom Jericho would want to surround himself. 

Co-sign on Butcher and Blade. Absolutely lost my mind when I found out yesterday that Butcher is the guitarist from Every Time I Die. 

Not breaking any new ground saying this, but the entire roster has vets I love or young talent with tremendous upsides. Watching Lucha Brothers being spectacular every week reminds me that I haven’t seen much of Pentagon or Fènix outside some random Lucha Underground matches I’ve caught on YouTube. Have to fix that. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Not breaking any new ground saying this, but the entire roster has vets I love or young talent with tremendous upsides. Watching Lucha Brothers being spectacular every week reminds me that I haven’t seen much of Pentagon or Fènix outside some random Lucha Underground matches I’ve caught on YouTube. Have to fix that. 

LU may have been the peak of Fenix and Pentagon as singles guys, especially the Fenix/Mil Muertes matches, but as a team they had a good feud with Santana and Ortiz in Impact and some stuff in MLW too that's worth checking out. A lot of it is free on YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It makes sense that the DVDVR board would like AEW though, considering it's owned and booked by part of our hive mind*.

* There is no hivemind. We have divergent opinions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AEW is my favorite promotion with NJPW as a close second. Second would have been NXT, but since the move to two hours, I feel like I've been beaten into the ground with tired storylines and booking. It's so weird...Pre-injury Dream was awesome. Post-injury Dream I can't stand. I hope it's just a matter of him finding his footing again.

I actively look forward to every Wednesday like I used to look forward to Monday nights when I was in high school during that 96 to 99 period and beyond. I think the biggest thing for me is just how much fun AEW is and how well the storylines play out. They stumble at times, but no promotion is perfect, but also, not many promotions have a batting average like AEW's. I think the only hitch in storylines lately was trying to shoehorn a feud into a forced Blood and Guts match. I think we're all in agreement that matches like that should happen organically not to mention that Newark show was already sold out. They didn't need Blood and Guts to move tickets. Let that match happen organically with Moxley leading a rag tag team of wrestlers with Moxley, Darby, Dustin, Matt, and Matt. Hell, you could even still work in the Bucks into Moxley's team since they still have beef with Santana and Ortiz and then sub out Nick for Matt Hardy to get the Matt and Matt team.

Even then, the above doesn't bother me all that much because the execution has been good.

And my favorite dude in all of wrestling in Hangman Page.

My only wish for AEW is a better women's division. I appreciate them trying to create multiple storylines for the women, but I think Big Swole stinks, Kris is really good but is not quite there, Riho is great, Shida is great, Nyla can be carried to great matches but can't carry a match herself, and they're just really in need of one to three world class women for the roster to form some kind of a core.

• Like 4

I’ve only watched the past few weeks, but to me NXT feels more like a developmental show now as a third brand on USA than it did as a one hour show on the Network. 

As far as the AEW women, Britt Baker seems fine in ring, but goddam is she good on the mic. She’ll condescend to the crowd up to a point where they’re annoyed, then say something really shitty to stir up full blown old school heat.

Thats actually another thing; the crowds are refreshingly less smarky than I would have expected. They’ll sing along to Judas then go right back to booing Jericho. The audience isn’t obligated at any show to react a certain way just for television, but they seem to have entered into a nonverbal social contract to allow themselves to be worked. And when they go the other way and cheer a heel, the announce team acknowledges it. 

• Like 3