DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The one issue they have is, you've got the Bucks (except Nick is on paternity leave) SCU and Cutler in So Cal, Cody and Brandi in Atlanta, Dustin and Sammy in Texas, Moxley in Vegas, Santana and Ortiz in New York, Jericho and Omega in Florida, Hangman in South Carolina...any kind of domestic travel ban (which is what Italy and Spain have right now) really messes up their ability to assemble the roster. Whereas WWE making everyone in NXT move to live near the PC actually means they can run empty arena no problem.

That might get alleviated by the deep pockets responsible for owning the joint though, yeah? Wherever this closed set is, those Khan dollars can assemble talent via private jet, which likely won't be subject to any domestic travel ban, or at least won't be the same kind of ban going on.

And if it's going to be somewhere in the Southeast, a lot of the talent you mention doesn't necessarily need to fly in with enough advance notice. Granted, this all hinges on "what does this theoretical ban entail"? We also don't know whether any of this kind of thing has been discussed internally, and they could have already worked out their plan of attack. First clue to what's what will likely be this week's Dynamite, so I guess we will figure some of it out then.

Again, I maintain, if you are going to be doing empty arena shows every week, being live isn't important. Show up early Wednesday, and just tape all fucking day. Nobody is gonna leak spoilers, you can let everyone be socially isolated after, the shows won't be noticably worse because they've been in the can, you dodge any concerns about the travel bans, "what if someone on staff or the roster gets diagnosed", you have no crowd to burn out...

• Like 4

I think one of the issue is the question what are you exactly building towards. If you think Blood & Guts with no fans is silly, imagine the next endgame (DoN) being postponed or with no fans too. The worst thing they can possibly do is just do several matches with no real meaning and just kinda meandering along until the tide of this turns. Keep in mind, we don't know if they've had time to do enough creatively behind the scenes to make this work. That first week or two they tape might be really good and then it just falls off a cliff because there is little to no direction due to burnout of having to come up with several weeks of TV in one sitting.

Tape two weeks, sign Matt Hardy and go to the compound with a small crew abs whoever can get there show up, smoke a bunch of pot and start cooking up some crazy shit.

I know some of you fuckers are gonna say “No More Broken Hardy’s!” 3 more weeks of no sports and closed bars you are gonna be asking for more Broken Hardy’s.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 2

I say film two weeks, and set-up a major cliffhanger for TV(Have Hardy attack Moxley, or Cody. Maybe even have Jake, Archer, Tsunami... errrr... Shida steal the AEW title). Then go on a long break, until the world is back to normal. Re-start after that. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I say film two weeks, and set-up a major cliffhanger for TV(Have Hardy attack Moxley, or Cody. Maybe even have Jake, Archer, Tsunami... errrr... Shida steal the AEW title). Then go on a long break, until the world is back to normal. Re-start after that. 

I wonder if their contract with TNT requires live programming every week. I have absolutely no idea, it's just one of those random things that just popped in to my mind.

3 minutes ago, Peck said:

I wonder if their contract with TNT requires live programming every week. I have absolutely no idea, it's just one of those random things that just popped in to my mind.

Someone brought this up on WOR regarding Smackdown. Maybe it was in the mailbag. Anyway, you would think there would be a Force Majeure clause that would permit taping episodes or at least live-to-tape.

10 minutes ago, Peck said:

I mean that’s probably the case. I suggested a WWF Prime Time like show for WWE in the other thread. Why can’t AEW try that. Host a sort of best of, and one live match. But surround it with live podcast like interview with a special guest from the roster. Like what if Luchasaurus was the guest? J.R. can ask him candid questions, but he can ask him kayfabe questions to flesh out his character. Stuff like “MJF once told me Luchasaurus isn’t good enough to go it alone. How do you feel about that criticism?”.

But remember the cruise. They’ve done live to tape stuff before. So it isn’t unprecedented.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

It seems to me it would be better for TNT to get a batch of taped shows now and have them for weeks to come than have to worry that at any date they might lose the show with no warning. I'm not sure that risk is worth whatever benefit there might be to live empty arena shows.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Again, I maintain, if you are going to be doing empty arena shows every week, being live isn't important. Show up early Wednesday, and just tape all fucking day. Nobody is gonna leak spoilers, you can let everyone be socially isolated after, the shows won't be noticably worse because they've been in the can, you dodge any concerns about the travel bans, "what if someone on staff or the roster gets diagnosed", you have no crowd to burn out...

Maybe convene everyone for a few days and tape a round robin tournament.  Please tell me JR is too old to be out of the house during this thing.   Sit wrestlers in the crowd and have them talking shit.  Put Excalibur and Chuck Taylor on commentary and let them old school PWG the fuck out of it.  I need a commentator to refer to a wrestler who just did a dive as "A BIG BOY."  Intersperse the matches on TV with "best of" matches from PPVs.  They could get a few months in the can if they needed to.  Call the tournament The Covid Cup," I don't know. 

Edited by Technico Support

I'm really not looking forward to taking a big shit all over Dynamite come tomorrow night, but they're insisting on going the WWE route of "business as usual", instead of doing anything but a normal show, so, y'know, whatever.

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Please tell me JR is too old to be out of the house during this thing.   

Jerry Lawler is two years older than Jim Ross, and he was out there working still. So no.

Just now, AxB said:

Yeah, but Jerry Lawler works for Vince McMahon, whilst JR works for Tony Khan.

Jim Ross could work for a San Fran CBD oil startup ran by a 22 year old. He is still Jim Ross.

Just now, AxB said:

Yeah, but Coach Tony K is a lot more likely to say "Stay home, old man" than Vince is, right?

He will and has done that already if you believe Meltzer, but Jim Ross was molded by 45 years in the wrestling business including several years spent closely associating with Vince McMahon and before that long car rides with old veteran wrestlers and Bill Watts. There is nothing Tony Khan can do to undo that. He will be there rain, sleet, or snow.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Which promotion is more likely to run back the Team Challenge Series: WWE Main Roster, NXT, or AEW?

Hey, maybe those could be the three teams. Desperate times...

What's the feasibility of licencing some older matches from indies AEW is friendly with to fill out some of their TV time? PWG, Beyond, and OTT could contribute, it's a lot of exposure for them plus we could see some of the classic matches that led to AEW even being a thing. Heck, maybe even throw on an old Exaclibur match to show folks where he came from.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I mean that’s probably the case. I suggested a WWF Prime Time like show for WWE in the other thread. Why can’t AEW try that. Host a sort of best of, and one live match. But surround it with live podcast like interview with a special guest from the roster. Like what if Luchasaurus was the guest? J.R. can ask him candid questions, but he can ask him kayfabe questions to flesh out his character. Stuff like “MJF once told me Luchasaurus isn’t good enough to go it alone. How do you feel about that criticism?”.

But remember the cruise. They’ve done live to tape stuff before. So it isn’t unprecedented.

That would be a mighty fine idea that I'd be interested in seeing.

Now my idea might be a bit much but I can't help but wonder if they were able to strike a deal with certain companies to show their stuff on the show.  Let's say for example they did an interview with Darby talking about some of his best matches leading up to AEW.  Then you show a match from a place like PWG that shows just how he was.  It would definitely have a few legal issues that they'd need to sort out but if it could work it could be a fine way to kill a couple hours.

23 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think one of the issue is the question what are you exactly building towards. If you think Blood & Guts with no fans is silly, imagine the next endgame (DoN) being postponed or with no fans too. The worst thing they can possibly do is just do several matches with no real meaning and just kinda meandering along until the tide of this turns. Keep in mind, we don't know if they've had time to do enough creatively behind the scenes to make this work. That first week or two they tape might be really good and then it just falls off a cliff because there is little to no direction due to burnout of having to come up with several weeks of TV in one sitting.

I think to guard against this..  WWE could probably just show more archival footage.  And I mean interesting content,  maybe stuff we've never seen.  They can do that and also piece together some things with the current roster so the shows aren't all old footage but also aren't all from the PC. 

Also,  get some vignettes going.  Do more interviews. Do a megacast like NCAA football does for their title game.  There's a lot of different things they can do. 

To get this back to AEW,  different circumstances.  They had some momentum but they have no real library so they are going to want to run shows but have to do it with new content. 

To be clear,  I do think running a War Games in an empty arena is dumb and will not work.