DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2020

Dolfan in NYC

I find BTE incredibly lame too.  But I find myself curious, so I read a report of the happenings, and thought maybe I should check out the Cabana-Omega portion; which proved to be my Favorite BTE bit since combing the archives and finding a best of Possessed by wwe Cody compilation episode.  Cabana and Omega bring some rich comedy I wish this show had more of.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I find BTE incredibly lame too.  But I find myself curious, so I read a report of the happenings, and thought maybe I should check out the Cabana-Omega portion; which proved to be my Favorite BTE bit since combing the archives and finding a best of Possessed by wwe Cody compilation episode.  Cabana and Omega bring some rich comedy I wish this show had more of.  

It's still strange to me Cabana never became a bigger deal in WWE. Dude seemed to have a lot of the things they like and look for, even with his indy darling background. Also surprises me with all of his major runs in ROH, he never got a run with the world title either.

• Like 1

Well, it doesn’t ever surprise me when wwe mishandles talent.  His early ROH run is mostly what I know of him.  I once saw him challenge Aries for the title in Buffalo.  The heat was phenomenal.  I suspect Cabana’s going to surprise a few ppl with this aew run.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's still strange to me _____________________ never became a bigger deal in WWE. Dude seemed to have a lot of the things they like and look for........

WWE Madlibs.  This company's mission statement is "turn chicken salad to chicken shit."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Cabana not being champion during Gabe’s run didn’t surprise me. Always a good worker, but didn’t fit the mold Gabe was going for, and the fans wanted.. Though him not getting it post Gabe was a surprise, given that Matt Taven won it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

45 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Well, it doesn’t ever surprise me when wwe mishandles talent.  His early ROH run is mostly what I know of him.  I once saw him challenge Aries for the title in Buffalo.  The heat was phenomenal.  I suspect Cabana’s going to surprise a few ppl with this aew run.  

Their cage match in Elizabeth had a ton of heat too. Really good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

So make him the Yano of AEW?

Pretty much, plus Colt can talk. He’s actually a lot more ready to push against top guys in singles than Trent, all of SCU, and all of Jurassic Express just from the sheer fact that he’s much more skilled than them in a variety of ways. Flash pinning some top guys can give him instant credibility. People really slept on this signing, but they’ll soon realize how much better Cabana is than most in the company.

Edit: Abadon ? Jimmy Havoc spamming moves and doing it badly ? 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Pretty much, plus Colt can talk. He’s actually a lot more ready to push against top guys in singles than Trent, all of SCU, and all of Jurassic Express just from the sheer fact that he’s much more skilled than them in a variety of ways. Flash pinning some top guys can give him instant credibility.

I dig it, and it’s a great spot for him. Good call.

Just watched Dark and Abbadon has something with the gimmick and catching fan attention.  I think some changes to the gear to remove the ‘wrestler’ parts to it (like the belly shirt and tights) could help it out. If I’m her, I’m not sure I’m agreeing to job duty for the exposure. It just feels like they could have worked her out without the paint and save that gimmick for a bigger debut rather than just throw her out there. 
Jurassic Express match was good.  They are a team developing with time and getting better and better. Private Party on the other hand doesn’t look like they’ve gotten any better.  They really need to work on the stuff between the moves.  They look super awkward in transition.

If Jimmy Havoc doesn’t know not to have the job guy counter your finish, I don’t know what to do with him. Just some piss poor instincts.

Private Party are a couple of the young guys who could really benefit from time in developmental or a dojo and working a lot more often. They have a lot of potential, but I'm not sure how much better they're gonna get in AEW.

There are some young guys who should never get near the Performance Center (MJF being example number 1) because they'd get everything great about them sanded down. But there are quite a few who would really benefit from learning there. Or, ideally, spending six months in the New Japan dojo.

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Or working extended programs with The Revival.

In theory, yes. But that's where house shows were so valuable. Working one night a week, I'm just not sure you can train people in the ring on the road that way.

Though I am sure Dash and Dawson could get a fucking awesome match out of them.

Sadie Gibbs and Anthony Ogogo are going to be training at Cody's new school so I can't imagine that people like Private Party won't be as well.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

Severino Corrente is enjoyably sleazy. Should've just had him go over Havoc, beat Havoc down after the match, have Havoc fired from the company, kill Havoc, cremate Havoc, piss on Havoc's ashes, and go back in time and erase Havoc from history.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

This is why I think it's a detriment to the product for AEW to not have at least a weekend house show. Theres a lot of talent they have that need ring work and they're not getting it. 

AEW needs to start their own non-Televised, non-branded, low cost indie and run weekend shows.  Let the vets rest.  This schedule is good for them.  Just book the Young’uns and most of the women’s division.  2 shows each week.  Add in some Veteran teacher job guys too.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

They’re better off keeping production costs low. What they should be doing is leasing star talent off exclusively to certain indies, and include the green people on their roster so they’d get more reps. But most of these people signed due to the fairly independent nature of their contracts. So they shouldn’t be rocking that boat yet. 

Or better yet, get lucky, and find more Orange Cassidy’s, Sammy’s, and Darby’s. I’m sure they aren’t the only ones who can pick up on TV wrestling fast in a few weeks on the indies. Like that Abadon ain’t bad. Her wrestling looks so-so but she clearly makes an impression with her character work that translates through the TV well, and this was her first TV match. It sucks they can’t have a big performance center, but this is why you try harder when it comes to recruiting. I’m fairly certain that’s what they’ve done. Havoc, Janela, and some others don’t count because they were mostly favors. 

This #PerfectPartner thing is probably doing some of the recruiting for them. I’ve seen guys send in legit highlight reels, and promos to get noticed. Guys I’ve never seen before look impressive in them.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs