DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2020

Dolfan in NYC

I hope not. It’s not time for Jericho to get pushed out, or for Sammy to lead. Hangman still needs to avenge his loss to Jericho in a singles match, and Jericho needs to be a heel when he does it. Sammy still needs time in the oven. I love him, but I think you risk pushing him too fast after being the loser for a while now. If they do it, they need to tease it longer than just two weeks, with key wins along the way, so when it happens the reaction to it will be huge.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Cody did allude to this match in that promo in North Carolina but that was back in October and since then the Elite has moved on from the Inner Circle and the Inner Circle has been in feuds with Darby Dustin and Moxley. It feels like the Elite are shoehorned into that. I'm sure it's gonna be epic no doubt but how are they gonna tie up the loose ends with Mox and Darby and Dustin.

You knew Cody was going to get involved somehow. I agree though they’ve built up some stuff that won’t be resolved in that cage. I still presume Mox Vs. Jericho title rematch will be on TV sometime between now, and DoN. Darby should be in this. He would’ve been perfect here bouncing around those two rings. He’s a big omission. Dustin is the odd man out. His brother will be the one Rhodes in the match at least. 

If they use the next two weeks to finally establish that Hangman has left the Elite as he refuses to join the team for BnG, and Kenny (or Nick Jackson) also not getting medically cleared in time, they can have Mox or Dustin or Darby take the empty spot.

• Like 1

I can see Kenny missing it, and giving Darby the TV rub of being his choice, but Hangman should be in it. Probably more than Deathmatch vet Mox. This should be one of Page’s biggest character moments to establish him. Ultimately the goal was to get Page over, more than making Mox the cover star, and they are so close to going over that mountain with Hangman.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Disappointed in the face side and really the build in general. I know the match will rule but Mox and Darby pulling together a group of grimey dudes with a common enemy to bleed with the IC felt like the way to go (and with the match not pre-announced).

Leaves the card open for a Mox defense though. If they really are making it a mini PPV they could throw something like Mox/PAC on there ending with Death Triangle fuckery. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

but Mox and Darby pulling together a group of grimey dudes with a common enemy to bleed with the IC felt like the way to go (and with the match not pre-announced).

Do you really want another Piper searches for his army TV angle?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This really seems like a misstep but, yeah it's War Games and the match is going to be amazing but fuck none of this makes as much sense as most of the booking does for this company.

• Like 1

Sammy is to the heel side what Page is to the face side so it's fun and natural to compare/contrast them as the first batch of long term "homegrown" projects.  Cody vs Sammy was the first match on the first Dynamite, right?  I took that a signal that they consider Sammy important and they want us to get used to the idea of him being significant.

So far I'm happy with the patience.  The Inner Circle is still only 5 months old/as old as Dynamite, and Jericho losing the belt is their first "crisis."  It's definitely way too soon, and Sammy is still in the Eager Son phase of the mentorship with Jericho.  He's still clearly earmarked as special within the Inner Circle (Santana & Ortiz and Hagar just follow orders during beatdowns, but Sammy enthusiastically volunteers his own poetic twists i.e. using the skateboard specifically against Darby Allen).  He's not disillusioned with leadership yet, and the Inner Circle (much like all things AEW in general) isn't old enough for a schism or a coup to have the gravity it ought to.  Plus, once you do that, Sammy needs to be at the top of the card, and its rightly crowded up there.  Currently, as Lieutennant, it's acceptable for him to not quite be there.  But once he stages the coup, there's got to be room for him there, because if he overthrows Jericho and stays at his current card position, then it becomes Not As Important.

I'd think there needs to be at least one clear instance of Jericho regaining/retaining the championship in a PPV bout where it is entirely Sammy's intervention that causes that result.  Something where Sammy can point to and be "justified" in saying I'm carrying you/The student has surpassed the teacher/you're too old & dead weight.  Give us time, another 6 months to a year, where we can see that Sammy is keeping Jericho in the game.  Put the Inner Circle through another crisis, one that Jericho can't lead them through.

Part of why things are working so well with Page right now is they're giving us plenty of chances to see the Young Bucks show up and Hogan their way through Page/Omega victory celebrations so we get why Page would rather duck out and drink some beer [with us].  It takes time to get really fed up with someone, and it's more fun to let us see it several times, so we can turn idle throwaway comments from a show 8 weeks ago into foreshadowing with the power of internet speculation

(favorite example of this:  Jericho telling Sammy that the first lesson is "Never Be Nice" in regards to Moxley during Mox's match with Ortiz.  A clear teachable moment and something that is going to be great for Sammy to quote and cite when he decides to "never be nice" and prune Jericho.  Like Ole Anderson reminding Dusty that Dusty himself said "it will never be over.")

And in the meantime, hey, great matches with Darby Allen.

It's still Season 1 of AEW, for lack of a better term.  Gotta save some twists and bombshells for Season 2 and 3.

• Like 3

They feuded for months until Cody got sidetracked by MJF.  I'm not getting that there's been "no build" and I'm not understanding why people keep saying they announced the match before having a feud to fill it like WWE would..  considering Cody announced the match before his side quest of MJF.  

Enough people here play RPGs.  Do side quests mean that the main story line no longer exists? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They feuded for months until Cody got sidetracked by MJF.  I'm not getting that there's been "no build" and I'm not understanding why people keep saying they announced the match before having a feud to fill it like WWE would..  considering Cody announced the match before his side quest of MJF.  

Enough people here play RPGs.  Do side quests mean that the main story line no longer exists? 

Also, while Jericho hasn’t been involved with the Elite, Santana and Ortiz have had multiple tag team matches involving the Young Bucks, including most recently the battle royale in which Sammy got wrecked by Matt Jackson’s super kick. So it’s not completely out of left field. There has been conflicts and interactions since the Cody Jericho feud.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Also, while Jericho hasn’t been involved with the Elite, Santana and Ortiz have had multiple tag team matches involving the Young Bucks, including most recently the battle royale in which Sammy got wrecked by Matt Jackson’s super kick. So it’s not completely out of left field. There has been conflicts and interactions since the Cody Jericho feud.

WarGames is an end to the means of a blood feud though. A few interactions isn't that 

• Like 2

Hey, I nailed the participants with my guess! Good for me.

I get the criticisms of the way they announced the match and the somewhat lackluster build but I also think it's fine if feuds come and go over time rather than exist for a few weeks until a PPV match and then are never returned to. The Elite and the Inner Circle may not have reached the critical mass needed for a Match Beyond though. I agree with @Wyld Samurai, it's supposed to be the feud ender, not a stop along the way. Hopefully, with the right booking it can still be a big deal but it hasn't been the smoothest unveiling. 

"When the Elite and the Inner Circle square off, it will be a match beyond..."  It just took a little while to get there.

I was only hoping Dustin would be in too, since he kind of kept the beef between the two sides alive through his feud with Hager. But I guess that would be more "Nightmare Family" than The Elite if they wanna stick to that. Still dig this lineup as it is for sure.

I wonder if they had plans to introduce a Television Championship but then the NWA announced they were introducing a TV title of their own first and AEW decided to scrap the idea completely.

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I wonder if they had plans to introduce a Television Championship but then the NWA announced they were introducing a TV title of their own first and AEW decided to scrap the idea completely.

That’s probably not the case, but it is weird that they are hammering down the idea of winners purses. Which means poor Librarians, and Brandon Cutler. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

7 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Why is it weird? It's an old-school concept that Vince phased out for no reason.

Weird is a strong word. Because I like it a lot. I do think it’s peculiar that they are bringing it up now. Like they’ve decided internally that they won’t have a 2nd men’s singles belt, and want to create the sense of importance to non-title matches when there isn’t anything on camera like a belt to tell the audience that something’s at stake.

The whole idea of it is to make matches and wins matter. The phasing out of the financial aspect of wrestling in WWE's storylines is a big part of the reason why their matches don't matter and their wins and losses aren't important. It fits perfectly in line with AEW's general booking philosophy (the rankings).

Cody hinted that something resembling a secondary title would pop up before the end of the year, but that nothing was final. He said it would be a concept that no one is doing currently - which pretty strongly indicates that it isn't a TV Title and there were never plans for one.

• Like 3

I agree on the idea of don’t announce a match before its needed.  That said, there’s an easy slide back to Elite v Inner Circle.  My hope is Mox is k5 injured as his reason for being out of it.  So to Darby.  And if two of the companies top stars are out then we need a squad to stop this dark force.

This would also be a great time for MJeff to strike a pursuit of the title.  

Circle turning on Jericho shouldn’t happen till he returns.  I wanna see him drop a 60 days gone fall to a Hangman or a Darby or a Jungle Jack or an Orange Cassidy followed by one of his patented whiny heel tantrums.  But also, fuck a face turn for the Lionheart.  

It seems to me AEW is or has built a lot of storylines that they can snake in and out pretty logically.  Bring on the match beyond.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

It doesn't sound like he's actually going away. Pretty sure Meltzer said the Fozzy tour is scheduled with no shows on Tuesdays or Wednesdays so he can do TV every week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It doesn't sound like he's actually going away. Pretty sure Meltzer said the Fozzy tour is scheduled with no shows on Tuesdays or Wednesdays so he can do TV every week.

Yep. People saw Fozzy was touring so they all "knew" he was going to leave AEW for 60 days, not knowing he specifically scheduled the tour dates around making TV each week.