DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

Long armbar spot with a good bit of this:

r86gv6.gif

Leads to an Andre style headcrusher and the fans counting along with the ten count, which I've not yet seen out of 1950s France. Zarzecki comes back with a full nelson and I love it when someone locks in one of those in that footage because you know something interesting will probably happen:

WLRWlg.gif

There's so much in this match that I'm skipping stuff, like finger manipulation or another Leduc hammerlock (to set up his beale) that's cut off by a nasty elbow. Here's another striking exchange, punctuated with a headbutt though:

71kDkA.gif

One more post to come with this match with some of the best stuff yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

Man, 

I'm not sure what to do here. 

Make a quip about how the footage is actually from 1919.

Or post that article about how easy it is to actually transmit this thing and note that guys sweating and bumping like that on the same mat probably isn't all that better than actually locking up.

Or joke that the healthiest thing to do is just watch black and white footage.

None of that probably.

Personally, if that brought people joy, the risk in what they were doing was probably minimal enough to excuse for the joy they provided. 

What brings me joy is watching people from 1957 uppercut the hell out of each other and I'm happy to share that when I can.

Plenty of room for all sorts of joy in this world.

Here's some more for good measure:

L7RYjw.gif

Even got a proto-Code Red with some actual oomph behind it unlike the last one which was just a cool cradle sunset flip. Crazy to think this just disappeared for decades (but then 1/4 of the matches end with power bombs, so...).

NLREl6.gif

Dude, I was just joking. You don't have to do anything. It's all good, man.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Let's finish off de Zarzecki vs LeDuc:

All of these "hold on as your opponent tries to throw you off" exchanges are so interesting. You'd get that in 80s matches but just for one hold usually. Here, they might have four of these in a technical match. This is deep in the match, believable, and awesome.

wVlRQz.gif

Now we get to the really cool think. Look at this. I don't even know what to call it:

xnm7RP.gif

But what's really novel is what LeDuc does with it. How great is this:

E8B6Yl.gif

Finish is really good too, but I don't like spoiling those. Anyway if you watch any of the matches we post next Tuesday/Weds, go with this one. It's excellent.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

Other other major match for the week is Michel Allary vs Lino Di Santo, and honestly? It's bizarre. It's another long technical match, but there are some sequences which eerily mirror the de Zarzecki vs LeDuc match. As in, it's like watching two Flair matches where he does the same sequences. These matches were aired 8 days apart. I don't know if they were trying to learn from the match or working from a template everyone was trying or trying to outdo one another or what, but it's surreal, as most of the matches we see are quite different and these had sequences too similar and too unique (as in we haven't really seen them before) that it can't be coincidence.

I'm not going to focus on that much here and will just give you guys the high points. Let's start with some cool little things.

There are tricked out wristlock flips in every match, but what I want everyone to see here is the way he knees the right hand so that he can flip the left:

YWRlOW.gif

Another little thing. In 57, they often turn headscissors into these split leg-make a wish holds. This was a really neat little double wristlock escape:

vlk9EM.gif

Speaking of that make-a-wish hold, this is where the match gets a little weird. So Di Santo does a very similar bodyscissors sequence as we saw in the last match, including the same sort of escape/hope spot. That's not this. This is a really cool escape instead..

P785B2.gif

• Like 1

I like the course correction here:

xnmLkz.gif

Anyway, you remember what I was saying about the matches being eerily similar. Some of that was the bodyscissors. But some is this. The same hold that was in the other match! Just without the kicking and mat rubbing. 8 days apart. Very weird:

P78WNy.gif

1957 Rude Awakening, no big deal:

2xEDkj.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wee Bey said:

ernest-miller-feliner.gif

My biggest wrestling guilty pleasure is Earnest "The Cat" Miller.  If he would have started as a 19 year old and not a 30+ year old, I think he could have been legitimately good.  He never quite got there, but you can see the skeleton of something good, he just didn't really have a long enough run to develop it fully.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, supremebve said:

My biggest wrestling guilty pleasure is Earnest "The Cat" Miller.  If he would have started as a 19 year old and not a 30+ year old, I think he could have been legitimately good.  He never quite got there, but you can see the skeleton of something good, he just didn't really have a long enough run to develop it fully.  

That describes nearly everyone from the Power Plant. Imagine if Hard Work Bobby Walker was able to jump on the ropes without falling down. ?

As for The Cat specifically, I think a big problem (besides starting off as part of the Glacier/Mortis/Wrath/Vanderberg deal) is they never really played him as serious. About everything he did was tied into levity. That's fine if you have no plans for him, but they clearly did at certain points. However, by that time WCW was headed downhill creatively. He never stood a chance.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco