DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So SXSW was canceled, and now this...

Sooooo we’ll see how this effects other public events i.e. WrestleMania, the events surrounding that weekend, and other live wrestling events like WWE TV, and AEW TV are affected. I hope this shit doesn’t make it to late May.

Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle was cancelled too. And GDC in San Francisco. And the Ultra Music festival in Miami. 

I canceled my everyone cough on a $100 bill and mail it to me contest as well. All money goes towards whatever I feel like. Probably treatment for Tuberculosis at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also flight prices have gone down. So if you are planning on making a trip in the near future, and haven’t booked a round-trip flight, I suggest doing it soon before prices go back up.

Damn, no creepy prom photos this year.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Without judging the appropriateness of the response, just extrapolating the rate of events being canceled, rate of spread of the virus and timeline of the show, isn’t it very likely that WM is canceled at this point?

We’ll see... A lot of those Mania week indie shows could potentially be affected by international wrestlers not showing up to their bookings.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

55 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Without judging the appropriateness of the response, just extrapolating the rate of events being canceled, rate of spread of the virus and timeline of the show, isn’t it very likely that WM is canceled at this point?

The show must go on. WWE is not a democracy and considering that when Owen Hart died the thought of stopping the show never even entered Vince's head, he's not cancelling Mania. The only other people who could cancel it would be Tampa City Council or the owners of the Stadium, and both parties have a big financial stake in the show taking place as planned. So short of governmental intervention at a State or Federal level (which seems unlikely), I'd say the show happens.

And when it doesn't sell out and is less profitable than anticipated, everyone will blame Covid-19, rather than the staleness of the booking.

• Like 1

European Wrestling weirdness update: So, last Summer David Starr lost a match in Rev Pro (vs Will Ospreay) where he had to leave the company if he lost. But then in December they did a masked man of mystery deal in Rev Pro, who turned out to be the returning David Starr. So far, so Pro Wrestling.

But in the intervening period, he main evented for Progress twice, challenging for their World title both times (unsuccessfully both times). After the second one, he mouths to the fans "I'm going to miss you so much". And aside from an appearance at Unboxing Live in December, he's not been seen in the promotion since, despite being one of their most popular performers.

Now in a Q and A on Wednesday, he said his ongoing relationship with Progress was that he could appear in one off matches from time to time, but would no longer be featured in storylines. Which lead to some people speculating as to why that would be.

Now last night he was in Germany, challenging for the WXW World title, and again if he loses, he leaves. And, Spoiler Warning, he lost. So he's gone from WXW, apparently.

So some people say 2+2=5, he's out of Progress and WXW but in Rev Pro, he must be going to New Japan, maybe in the Bullet Club or Suzuki-Gun. Some people who haven't been paying attention say 2+2=73, he's signed for WWE and is starting on NXT UK soon. But the main speculation is that Starr is going nowhere, but Progress and WXW are going to WWE Network, and he's out of both companies because he's the one guy demanding rights fees for appearing on the Network.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Maybe Bruce Pritchard can call in a bomb threat.

"HELLO LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE'RE EMANATING LIVE FROM THE USF SUNDOME DUE TO THE GODDAMN UNPATRIOTIC TERRORISTS!"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That Sundome’s a really cool arena damn it.

It hosted a Royal Rumble where Dick Murdoch was the second best worker (not counting Owen who was in the match for less than five seconds) in the Rumble match. However, I must say that Bulldog was a solid number three cause he tried launching Timothy Well (aka Rex King) over the top rope only for this inept fucker to somehow bounce off the top rope and fall back into the ring clutching his arm. Then, Bulldog being unusually nice to cover up the botch and trying not to hurt this man more than he has already hurt himself gently guides him over the ropes onto the floor. 

That roster going into 1995...just so spectacularly bad.

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It hosted a Royal Rumble where Dick Murdoch was the second best worker (not counting Owen who was in the match for less than five seconds) in the Rumble match. However, I must say that Bulldog was a solid number three cause he tried launching Timothy Well (aka Rex King) over the top rope only for this inept fucker to somehow bounce off the top rope and fall back into the ring clutching his arm. Then, Bulldog being unusually nice to cover up the botch and trying not to hurt this man more than he has already hurt himself gently guides him over the ropes onto the floor. 

That roster going into 1995...just so spectacularly bad.

'96 was awful as well. I don't think anything was as bad as Shawn Michaels eliminating Yoko and Vader at the same time...by himself. Fuck Shawn Michaels, also for he and HHH's current nxt main event forced epic style.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Those Rumble’s for a brief period were like how people today listen to podcasts at 2x speed. 

At least Razor Vs. Jarrett was good.

The tag team title match where Waltman bumped everywhere was fun. The Diesel/Bret match was good but it didn't need to go 59 minutes and end in a non-finish. Goddamn, they went forever.