DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

56 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

We were probably sleeping on Cody for a while because he wrestles the way he does and he was doing it in a world where Kenny was sucking up all the oxygen. The three star thing was never really merited. Now that people have seen him at his best, some of those matches between WWE and AEW are going to age pretty well. 

I don't think it's sleeping on Cody as much as...Cody's a much better storyteller in the ring than he is a MOVEZ~! guy, and Cody's explosion is proof you can't truly get five-plus in a vacuum.

That's likely the reason for it- when Cody's in random matches for matches' sake, they're kind of mediocre three-star affairs (and even then it's unmerited for a different reason: Cody was able to put on a three star match with anyone (Okada, Omega, etc.)...but Cody could also put on a three star match with ANYONE. Take the crappiest, most generic shindy-fare guy out there and Cody could will him to the match of his life.). Put him in AEW, on the other hand, where he can put some stories behind his matches? Suddenly he's amazing. 

Uh, his entire time in New Japan and ROH was spent in one long story about the dissolution of the Bullet Club/Elite. His attack on Omega directly led to the reunion of the Golden Lovers, further emphasized the Elite versus everyone else inside the Bullet Club, and will likely rear its head again in the Bucks vs Omega/Page storyline since Page originally didn't side with any of them, but instead went with Cody (who actually took him under his wing and didn't treat him like a hindrance or a jobber).

EDIT: By the way, Cody's match against Kota Ibushi at WrestleKingdom 12 was pretty good too.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I liked Titus' group with Apollo, Dana Brooke, and Tozawa. I think it had potential to be a kind of cool oddball pairing like the Ziggler/Big E/AJ Lee team a few years ago

I think him leading a group of losers like fat Teddy Long in the 90’s was a very fun diversion. But a wrestler, he was not meant to be.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

This post is petty and me taking a victory lap:

I can't tell you how hard I'm laughing about Seth Rollins getting worst match, worst feud, and two more spots in the top six worst feuds in the WON awards. Dave should bring back Worst on Promos and rename it the Seth Rollins award to go with those.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, nothing I've ever seen or found about Triple H addressing DDP in a negative way at all. I'm guessing it didn't happen and this is just more "We hate <insert pet target> and will assign him things he didn't do or say  to reinforce our opinion."

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Poor Yoshi-Hashi. I want to like him, eventhough I'm not really sure why.

He tries really hard. He just can't emote.

• Thanks 1

There probably was some truth. Savage was also shit on for laying out matches before the bell rang. Also, I’m still not sure if every match is laid out in the modern WWE. Before I stopped watching it was clear guys were calling spots in the match, and not the way Savage, and Page were rumored to be doing it. But in the guy is clearly talking to the other guy for 15 seconds to call the next set of spots.

Regardless they really really shouldn’t have done DDP that dirty, though, after he was revealed to be the stalker. “Make me famous”, Wait you mean the guy who got booked in probably one of the more higher grossing celebrity angles, and was instrumental in the rise of a rival promotion wasn’t already famous? 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

15 hours ago, Ziggy said:

It seems like its another way to keep talent from moving forward in the WWE Caste system of getting over the way TJ Perkins talked about it. If your at his experience level, you should have more leeway over your match than someone who fresh from developmental system new to the main roster. With all these indy darlings and international talent even at the mid card and below alot of these guys shouldn't be so handcuffed.

Or, y'know, it's to do with cameras and filming the actual thing so they know precisely where you are in the ring and when so they can capture it? 

TJP said that not only were matches laid out in move for move in the back (by the agent, not the wrestlers), but that someone in the back is constantly changing the spots through the referee's headset. So even if they had a plan that the babyface would get beaten down early and then make a fiery comeback, halfway through the beat down they'd get word that he was selling too much and needed to get some offence in.

20 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Or, y'know, it's to do with cameras and filming the actual thing so they know precisely where you are in the ring and when so they can capture it? 

Punk talked about it being the case for big spots planned, not the entire match, he talked about the MiTB match with Cena and how they didn't have much planned but a few big spots for the people in the truck. Both Cena and Punk couldn't hide themselves calling spots anyway so I image they had more freedom than most. I remember a shoot interview with Cryme Tyme after their first release from WWE and they talked about how they learned to go out do things on the fly and call spots. It seems to be alot more micromanaged it regards to certain people now. Even Jack Evan's responded to a Nattie tweet last week saying he was being told to hold back in AEW

Edited by Ziggy

7 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Punk talked about it being the case for big spots planned, not the entire match, he talked about the MiTB match with Cena and how they didn't have much planned but a few big spots for the people in the truck.

Yeah, but that's CM Punk and John Cena.  I woulnd't be surprised if they could do whatever the fuck they wanted at that point.  TJP is probably telling the 100% truth based on a lower card guy on the show no one watches.  

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Even Jack Evan's responded to a Nattie tweet last week saying he was being told to hold back in AEW.

He fucking should. That’s why his ass barely makes TV. Tony must be booking to my tastes, because whenever I see either H2, or Janela wrestling its them doing the same shit they’d do on the fucking indies. 

It’s a 2, or 1 hour wrestling show, not a 5 1/2 show in Reading!

Just look at Darby, and Sammy. Most thought the indie stink would be too much, but they are clearly TV guys now, no question.

Edit: Apparently in the Observer...

WWE and The Revival are battling for intellectual property rights since it appears The Revival is leaving next month, with AEW looking to be the likely destination. WWE has filed for trademarks on the terms The Mechanics, which was the name they used before the Revival, and the term “No Flips, Just Fists.” The team was trying to get a trademark for the latter term.`

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I’ve said it many times already. They are perfect at making greenhorns look like they have the talent of Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson. Watch those  Enzo & Cass tags, and work with Jason Jordan as proof. If they don’t work, I’ll eat a hat.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2