Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Dolfan in NYC

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

this I have to disagree with. Wrestling in front of those "40 glue sniffers" got Punk, Colt, Hero, Jimmy Jacobs, Alex Shelly, Chris Sabin, Nate Webb, and others noticed by companies like TNA and ROH.  Danny Daniels is another one. He now runs AAW.   I do however see the point of "why would someone already on TV work for Ian"  but you have to remember  they had a weird relationship. Mickie was living with the Rottens and someone can probably confirm they had more than a father-daughter type relationship.  

He confirms it in here around the 25:00 mark

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Did he come to the door just wearing jean shorts? 
 

#deeepdive

My brain assumes that's all he wears 24/7.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

He confirms it in here around the 25:00 mark

 

Yeah, cuz Ian Rotten is as honest as the day is long...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I've never really understood is how everyone talks in coded language about Austin's trip to the hospital in 2003 pre-Mania.

Given how guarded he is about it, the symptoms presented and how much weight he stacked on when he returned in a GM capacity, almost certainly he had a coke problem that resulted in his heart practically giving up on him.

It's a weird balance he presents it publicly with - he acknowledges he had issues, but never really owns them, or uses his position to discuss them to help others....at least on the other hand, he doesn't cynically use it to justify his spousal abuse either.

Dunno why it bugs me so much, but it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

What I've never really understood is how everyone talks in coded language about Austin's trip to the hospital in 2003 pre-Mania.

Given how guarded he is about it, the symptoms presented and how much weight he stacked on when he returned in a GM capacity, almost certainly he had a coke problem that resulted in his heart practically giving up on him.

It's a weird balance he presents it publicly with - he acknowledges he had issues, but never really owns them, or uses his position to discuss them to help others....at least on the other hand, he doesn't cynically use it to justify his spousal abuse either.

Dunno why it bugs me so much, but it does.

in his WWE book he claimed it was actually the stims he was taking (caffeine, ephedrine filled stacker 2, ect) which given my body building drugs research, it might not of needed to be coke that fucked up his heart is all im sayin... it could of been the stims mixed with the booze.... but it could of also been coke... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Morganti said:

in his WWE book he claimed it was actually the stims he was taking (caffeine, ephedrine filled stacker 2, ect) which given my body building drugs research, it might not of needed to be coke that fucked up his heart is all im sayin... it could of been the stims mixed with the booze.... but it could of also been coke... 

Yeah I remember that - and a few of his podcast eps I think I remember him talking about drinking insane amounts of Red Bull too..

Now it's just this weird "I was going up and down the road and going way too fast" vague trail off every time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

What I've never really understood is how everyone talks in coded language about Austin's trip to the hospital in 2003 pre-Mania.

Given how guarded he is about it, the symptoms presented and how much weight he stacked on when he returned in a GM capacity, almost certainly he had a coke problem that resulted in his heart practically giving up on him.

It's a weird balance he presents it publicly with - he acknowledges he had issues, but never really owns them, or uses his position to discuss them to help others....at least on the other hand, he doesn't cynically use it to justify his spousal abuse either.

Dunno why it bugs me so much, but it does.

Same here.  I remember he blamed it on a mixture of anxiety, coffee, and Red Bulls.  He has said very often that he'd drink coffee by the pot, which is a little crazy.  But yeah, I never bought that story ever, ESPECIALLY from a guy who drank a lot of coffee.  You build a tolerance.  I can drink coffee all day and put down an energy drink at night and still sleep.  The worst caffeine reaction I ever had was when I drank a Rockstar and then drank a coffee shortly thereafter without thinking about it.  I felt sick to my stomach and jittery but that was about it. 

This is  along ass way to say yeah, I think Austin was coked up and maybe went a little overboard, and it was compounded by your typical wrestler heart issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is coke then it's silly that he can't own up to it. Dude, everybody knows wrestlers have and do use cocaine. Your personal pride is a bit absurd. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth, at my last job, just to keep my head above water with an insane workload, I’d start the day with an energy drink, follow it up with an energy shot an hour later, and then have another energy drink or shot after lunch. Most days I’d also drink a preworkout before lifting too. I’d have to to take enough otc sleeping meds to knock out a horse to go to bed, which often wouldn’t matter because the diuretic effects from all of the caffeine would keep me up all night peeing. Long story short, I’d never compare any of that to an actual drug problem, and it never led to me physically lashing out at anyone (and wouldn’t excuse it if I had) but I can certainly see a world where that could have lead to some of Austin's behavior. 

Just as likely coke, though. Although him gaining weight may have been because he was effectively retired and had given up training rather than coke bloat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just remember the story Cornette tells when he thought he was having a heart attack and had one of the MX take him to the hospital, where he found out that basically, he just drank too much, well Coke (or in his case, I think it was Pepsi).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robert s said:

I just remember the story Cornette tells when he thought he was having a heart attack and had one of the MX take him to the hospital, where he found out that basically, he just drank too much, well Coke (or in his case, I think it was Pepsi).

This dude was eating entire pizzas and drinking whole liters of soda every night. Yeah, there is probably a hospital trip in your future.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something similar happened to me. My reflux had gotten so bad that I thought it was a heart issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Log said:

I attended an OVW show when I first moved to Louisville in 2005. I was shocked to see a tag team doing an “effeminate” gimmick being hugely over as faces with the Kentucky crowd. It was The Heartbreakers. I think they had a very short run on Raw around that time (like every OVW guy/gal in that period) as the Heart Throbs. 

 

One of those dudes had a revelation of a run in Beyond Wrestling recently, Thomas Santell, a sort of George McFly/Stu Hart hybrid. Good shit.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't Austin taking Somas too? I remember listening to one of his shows and he mentioned that he was taking a bunch of energy drinks, coffee and then somas to go to sleep at night. This isn't even counting the drinking either.

He occasionally mentions doing coke cryptically on his show. Not that I need/deserve him to confess everything in public or anything, but him referring to that period as "running real fast/hard" just seems like a gloss over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant be reposted enough times 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Wasn't Austin taking Somas too? I remember listening to one of his shows and he mentioned that he was taking a bunch of energy drinks, coffee and then somas to go to sleep at night. This isn't even counting the drinking either.

He occasionally mentions doing coke cryptically on his show. Not that I need/deserve him to confess everything in public or anything, but him referring to that period as "running real fast/hard" just seems like a gloss over.

Pretty much what I was thinking there. 

Feels like a WWE thing, even the more overt drug addiction stories that they've produced tend to avoid going into any specific detail (Eddy, Jake, Shawn) and euphemisms instead.

If I'm really going to over-analyse it, I'd put it down to being consistent with Vince's views in respect of showing signs of weakness.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we’re talking wrestlers and substance abuse, here’s a curiosity: A blottoed HBK getting prank called at the nightclub in Syracuse shortly before he got the shit kicked out of him. 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Casey said:

So, we're assuming Mass Transit was trained by Killer Kowalski because... he lived in the region? What? 

Who here ever assumed he was trained by Kowalski? I always heard he lied about his training and if Kowalski was at the show, he wouldn't have gotten on.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

 

One of those dudes had a revelation of a run in Beyond Wrestling recently, Thomas Santell, a sort of George McFly/Stu Hart hybrid. Good shit.

Santell's re-invention and re-emergence has been great. He had a real fun match with Orange Cassidy in Beyond.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Roman Reigns is off Mania. As a Leukaemia survivor his immune system is compromised and he doesn't want to risk catching Covid=19.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 3:48 PM, (BP) said:

Kazaa and Limewire were how I saw a lot of stuff like that for the first time. It was definitely how I saw both Necro Butcher and Joe for the first time, in that gnarly ROH vs CZW feud match where Necro took a powerslam bump on his head on concrete. 

This is how I saw a lot of Japan and ROH stuff in my early internet browsing days.  I also downloaded a CZW event I think it was and then I opened the download and it was a porn of I guess Blue Meanie's then girlfriend.  What a world.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AxB said:

Apparently Roman Reigns is off Mania. As a Leukaemia survivor his immune system is compromised and he doesn't want to risk catching Covid=19.

I have absolutely no idea why the company was even putting him in that position to begin with. Basic common sense should've caused him to be pulled from the card the second all this stuff happened.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...