DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They're the cutest wrestling couple, IMO.

ZOMG WWE IS WROKING WITH AEW!!!!

I still say it's Mustafa Ali and his wife for my two cents.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:21 PM, Six String Orchestra said:

Watched the tuxedo, coal miner's glove on a pole, loser leaves town cage match between DiBiase and Duggan today for the first time ever. I still really don't know anything about Mid South Wrestling but that was so good. Simple but effective and the crowd ate it up. Probably one of my favourite matches I've ever seen. 

I love how many stipulations that match has and then they have it and it's just 90% punches. 

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

I love how many stipulations that match has and then they have it and it's just 90% punches. 

I love that the cage is just baaaarely taller than the wrestlers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Great ML said:

Not as bad as the World Class cage. Brody or Gordy would be at eye level with that babygate

LMAO, I just googled it and the odds that cage started its life as a dog run have to be near 100%

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I'm a little surprised they don't offer some sort of free service but with limited access to only a some past shows every month and ads.

It would be funny if they just inserted ad breaks into random matches whenever somebody gets dumped to the outside.

• Haha 6

In 2002 I wasn't really "online" in terms of message boards or newsletters so I'm wondering, for those who were here and in other places, what was the reaction to Hogan vs Brock from Smackdown before Summerslam? I was watching the Ruthless Agression episode on Brock and the clips they show made the match look pretty one-sided. I figured there was no way Hogan let Brock dominate him in such a complete fashion so I looked it up. Cagematch had it listed as Brock's longest tv singles match to that point and that seemed to confirm my suspicion. I went to watch it and was kind of surprised. There were moments Hulk got the better of Brock but they almost always were after Brock got cocky and Hogan taking advantage as the veteran. So yeah, not exactly like what I anticipated. However, I know how the, for lack of a better term, IWC feels/felt about Hogan so I can see some people saying something about him using his power to make sure he didn't get totally squashed by Brock. Was that a common opinion at the time? Did some people feel that he should have pinned Hogan? I thought crushing him in a bear hug with "internal bleeding" was actually a more effective finish but, again, I can see some people feeling that it should have ended in a pinfall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

In 2002 I wasn't really "online" in terms of message boards or newsletters so I'm wondering, for those who were here and in other places, what was the reaction to Hogan vs Brock from Smackdown before Summerslam? I was watching the Ruthless Agression episode on Brock and the clips they show made the match look pretty one-sided. I figured there was no way Hogan let Brock dominate him in such a complete fashion so I looked it up. Cagematch had it listed as Brock's longest tv singles match to that point and that seemed to confirm my suspicion. I went to watch it and was kind of surprised. There were moments Hulk got the better of Brock but they almost always were after Brock got cocky and Hogan taking advantage as the veteran. So yeah, not exactly like what I anticipated. However, I know how the, for lack of a better term, IWC feels/felt about Hogan so I can see some people saying something about him using his power to make sure he didn't get totally squashed by Brock. Was that a common opinion at the time? Did some people feel that he should have pinned Hogan? I thought crushing him in a bear hug with "internal bleeding" was actually a more effective finish but, again, I can see some people feeling that it should have ended in a pinfall. 

Even Bruce Mitchell in the Torch (Someone who has never been shy about calling out the Hulkster for his BS) did a column praising him for putting over Brock 100% correctly and for once being unselfish (of course I think it came out later he did it expecting to get the win back at a later date and IIRC the fact he didn't led to him leaving).

• Like 1

So he missed the joke because there wasn't a funny part.

"Hogan didn't get squashed by Brock quickly enough" is the kind of revisionism that you could definitely expect from some in the IWC - if they ever talked about this match. But of course, the reason no one talks about this match is because Hogan did the right thing and it made Brock look like a million dollars. Can't be giving Hogan any credit for literally anything without Natural coming and spamming threads. IIRC, people thought it was a great way to get Brock over, but even then no one was willing to praise Hogan too loudly.

• Like 3