DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

55 minutes ago, EricG said:

Wait, WHAT???

IWTV recently streamed a GCW show from Chicago that took place in May 2018. A deathmatch-heavy show, featuring Janela in one of his last death matches, a pretty insane encounter with modern lucha deathmatch wrestler Ciclope (NOT the WCW luchador, in case that was the source of the "wait, what" comment). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

IWTV recently streamed a GCW show from Chicago that took place in May 2018. A deathmatch-heavy show, featuring Janela in one of his last death matches, a pretty insane encounter with modern lucha deathmatch wrestler Ciclope (NOT the WCW luchador, in case that was the source of the "wait, what" comment). 

My bad, the way the OP posted it seemed like it it happened over the weekend. Checking it out now! 

38 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I actually thought it happened last weekend. My bad. Thanks for the correction! ??

No problem! Just watched, spoilers: 

Spoiler

One of the greatest in American indy wrestling? I didn't think so. But then again, I haven't seen a ton of indy death match stuff in recent years so my opinion may be just based on random stuff I've seen. 

The first half is pretty standard indy death match stuff. About half way through it gets moving and the last few minutes are really good. The things I LOVED—there wasn't a million false finishes and it didn't go longer than it needed to. There's wasn't "I'm tough, I going to fire right up after that move!" Everything made sense. They built up to the finish. It was good. Not a must-see, but definitely enjoyable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EricG said:

No problem! Just watched, spoilers: 

Hide contents

One of the greatest in American indy wrestling? I didn't think so. But then again, I haven't seen a ton of indy death match stuff in recent years so my opinion may be just based on random stuff I've seen. 

The first half is pretty standard indy death match stuff. About half way through it gets moving and the last few minutes are really good. The things I LOVED—there wasn't a million false finishes and it didn't go longer than it needed to. There's wasn't "I'm tough, I going to fire right up after that move!" Everything made sense. They built up to the finish. It was good. Not a must-see, but definitely enjoyable. 

The Zona 23 stuff that Ciclope and Extremo Miedo are involved with is fascinating in that aspect. For reckless, possibly self-trained deathmatch lucha, their cards are fairly traditional in their layout. Opening matches are usually 8-10 minutes tops and end with a pin usually on the third or fourth attempt, the level of insanity in each match will build throughout the show, and even the main events will have plenty of stunts but not much in the way of "fighting spirit" kickouts. 

• RIPPA locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic