DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Matt Borne’s career is all over the place if you start with Doink, and work your way back, and forth in the timeline of his career. He’s like a non-famous Brutus Beefcake. His run as a Dr. Death clone in the late 80’s, and early 90’s is my favorite non-Doink Borne. Him dipping in, and out of his Piper clone act, not so much.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Portland Borne and Heel Doink are both great.

I've never seen any of the Borne Again stuff outside of a handful of promos, and I really keep meaning to. 

• Like 2

Borne Again is one of those gimmicks that sounds good on paper, but is terrible on execution. Borne’s drug problems at the time probably didn’t help, but then he was doing the Piper stuff here that I just don’t care for. He also did it for a super short period. Maybe if he did it longer it would’ve gotten better, but a few matches, and promos is all we got.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

49 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It’s 1997. You and your brother drag your poor mother to your first wrestling show, an NWA card at the local armory. Sunny comes out in hot pants and announces she’s managing the New Doink the Clown. A guy comes out in the gimmick, but you just know that’s not the real Doink. The lights go out, and a sinister laugh rings from the loudspeakers. The familiar Enter Sandman riff begins, and Matt Borne emerges in Zumba pants and clown makeup, beer and kendo stick in hand. You know who Sandman is, and you know who Doink is, but you have no idea what the fuck is going on. It doesn’t matter because it’s your happening and it’s freaks you out. He does the chugging/head smashing the can bit directly in front of you, drenching your 7-year-old brother in Coors Lite, and you laugh and laugh. Later at intermission, you use your Christmas money to get a Tom Brandi autographed 8x10 because you’ve seen him on Raw two times, and then he disappointingly comes out afterwards and works a match as an Italian ethic stereotype named Salvatore Sincere. Sid is advertised, but well...you know the rest. 

It’s all downhill from here. 

Brother, you made my day with this post.

- RAF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Big Josh was a fucking highlight of some of those awful WCW early 90s PPV.

Even more so with that weird old-timey music they've dubbed over on the Network.

Big Josh should have gotten Regal's "Real Man's Man" theme for his overdubbed Network theme.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 8:43 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Did you guys see the article about the WWE sending a survey to gauge interest about streaming fan watch alongs to TV?

https://heelbynature.com/wrestling-news/wwe-news/wwe-considers-adding-fan-reactions-to-programming-in-lieu-of-live-audience/
wwe-survey-tv-no-audience-hbn.jpg
The Tout tech is back! 

Interesting.  I had a similar idea many weeks back where I had posted about if something like this would be possible/practical.   I thought of fans but I like the idea of different rooms like an NCAA football thing where they've done a megacast across separate networks...  in WWE's case it being maybe a legend's channel and a Stone Cold from his ranch channel, etc.  stuff like that. 

13 minutes ago, nate said:

I do not look forward to fans trying to get themselves noticed simply for the sake of watching Raw.  As if it's not bad enough from fans live in the stadiums.

Nitro Parties Redux since the first time gave us so many memorable moments.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wonder how many of them will visibly remove their pants when Alexa Bliss comes on.

That's an image that I really didn't need before breakfast; (or after breakfast, for that matter)

33 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wonder how many of them will visibly remove their pants when Alexa Bliss comes on.

Part of the "fun" will be then trying to figure out which one of those guys posts here.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Bourne was around so many great things just all over the place. Kind of amazing really. Like Bourne was front and center for the Duggan gorilla suit angle episode of Mid South with the amazing tag with DiBiase against JYD and Olympia. 

He was part of The Rat Pack there, widely identified as the first stable in wrestling

15 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

AIW  JT Lightning tournaments are stacked,  also the Gauntlet for the Gold shows are essentially Royal Rumble type shows.   IWA-MS 2002-2005 shows are loaded too

Cool I used to watch IWA-MS back in the day. I have been watching CZW shows from 2002-2005 as they were one of my favorite promotions back in the day.

14 hours ago, sabremike said:

Check out the Forza Lucha shows. They are the yearly charity event put on by the Empire Supporters Club (Metro/Red Bulls supporters group that I proudly belong to) and the funds raised go to a Pediatric AIDS charity in Newark. Sadly there are only 3 up at the present time, but check out the earliest one up there with some pretty familiar names taking place outside at the late great El Pastor in Newark. Shows are always held in the day before one of our matches at night. The one this season is planned for before we piss on the Fire (and their one song) in July but obviously right now things are up in the air right now.

Cool I love me a bit of Lucha, I liked watching Zona 23 when I watched some of it the other day so I will give Forza Lucha a go later.

Thank you to you two for your recommendations.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

AIW  JT Lightning tournaments are stacked ...

They are, plus the random stuff you wouldn't see anywhere else. 

Mance Warner vs. Lee Moriarty vs. Pat Buck vs. Savio Vega (2019 - don't think this one is on there yet)

Joey Janela vs. Colin Delaney vs. Jody Fleisch vs. Laredo Kid (2018)

Matthew Justice vs. Gangrel vs. Magnum CK vs. MJF (2018)

Shawn Schultz vs. Colt Cabana vs. Matthew Justice vs. Mordecai (2017)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EricG said:

They are, plus the random stuff you wouldn't see anywhere else. 

Mance Warner vs. Lee Moriarty vs. Pat Buck vs. Savio Vega (2019 - don't think this one is on there yet)

Joey Janela vs. Colin Delaney vs. Jody Fleisch vs. Laredo Kid (2018)

Matthew Justice vs. Gangrel vs. Magnum CK vs. MJF (2018)

Shawn Schultz vs. Colt Cabana vs. Matthew Justice vs. Mordecai (2017)

I have literally put on AIW JT Lightening Cup 2018. Looking forward to watching this.

• Like 2