DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

18 hours ago, AxB said:

Self-quoting because it was awesome. You ever see a guy do a standing Sliced Bread #2 outside of the ring, with his opponent leaning on the guard rail? You ever see a guy come out wearing an elbow pad on his right arm, then transfer it to his left arm when his opponent starts targeting said left arm? Both happened in this match. Along with a whole boatload of other great things. Match had everything.

their I Quit match the following month was even better believe it or not. I believe it's also on IWTV. 

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Warner vs Cogar was for the AAW title, but was in Bizarro Lucha (which is based in Indianapolis, not Mexico). Justice vs Lawler vs Bishop was for the Absolute Intense Wrestling (AIW) Absolute Title, although Justice came in as double champion because at the time he held the Intense Championship as well.

Cogar got his start here in Pittsburgh. It's a decent gimmick but I don't see him as a big star. I know he's been getting booked in GCW and elsewhere but he's not a big guy and is extremely green on the mic and in ring.  If you have Highspots you can watch some of his Premier Wrestling stuff under the Joe Dombrowski section.  Atticus is part of a team called The Culmination. 

45 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

their I Quit match the following month was even better believe it or not. I believe it's also on IWTV. 

It is, yeah. I watched that one live on IWTV and it's a pretty significant part of why I kept my subscription active.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Watched some of the matches from the Pat O'Connor Memorial International Cup tag team tournament from Starrcade 1990. That was rough.

Rocco Rock was built up as a South African militia member and he got dropped on his head on a dive as Rick Steiner barely caught him.

Salman Hashimikov and Victor Zangiev faced an Indian and Cowboy team from Canada who looked like they were untrained and Zangiev almost broke one of their necks on a belly-to-belly suplex attempt in which the other guy didn't even know what to do and just got face planted. To top it all off, the ref. was horrible and botched the three count and then for some odd reason that same ref. was still present in Hashimikov and Zangiev's next round match.

Edited by Edwin

11 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Watched some of the matches from the Pat O'Connor Memorial International Cup tag team tournament from Starrcade 1990. That was rough.

Rocco Rock was built up as a South American militia member and he got dropped on his head on a dive as Rick Steiner barely caught him.

ktSBglH.gif

You mean this? ?

Salman Hashimikov and Victor Zangiev faced an Indian and Cowboy team from Canada who looked like they were untrained and Zangiev almost broke one of their necks on a belly-to-belly suplex attempt in which the other guy didn't even know what to do and just got face planted. To top it all off, the ref. was horrible and botched the three count and then for some odd reason that same ref. was still present in Hashimikov and Zangiev's next round match.

Dude, you can tell Salman and Victor are like, "Boy, this is going to be tough."

I don't know if you saw Chris Adams/Norman Smiley vs. Konnan and Mysterio Sr., but I'm still trying to figure out why Mysterio did a dive AFTER the match was over. That was bizarre. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watching an old Benoit match from Mexico, and looking at the way he works in this match. The thing that sticks out the most is his flat back bumping. He did not take it easy on himself, even in one of the hardest rings in the world. But you could tell that the fans could tell they were watching somebody with talent in there.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

What shows are a good watch on IWTV then as I subscribed this week and now I am ready to tuck into some good indy Wrestling.

Any good top to bottom shows from Defy, Progress, Black Label Pro,GCW, AIW, Beyond or any other promotions on there as I have heard good things about these promotions but don't know what events to watch.

Sportsnet was running WM 30 today which I'd never bothered to see, so I watched the last 2 hours today and was struck by three things: 1) how during Cena-Wyatt the crowd is heated, reacting to everything and almost completely dead for Lesnar-Undertaker apart from the finish; 2) how it's 6 years old (Which I guess IS quite a while ago) but the women's division is almost unrecognizable compared to now with the vast majority of the women still of the "eye candy" variety (Aksana, Rosa Mendes, Eva Marie) and it's just DREADFUL; and 3) What a great main event that was with WWE's own hard-headedness working for them as the crowd still really believes that they're going to screw over Bryan and react with happiness every time he kicks out or makes a comeback.

48 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Rocco Rock was built up as a South American militia member and he got dropped on his head on a dive as Rick Steiner barely caught him.

Even better, South African. He and Ray Apollo beat two fake Kamala esque guys in the "African final" to earn their Starrcade spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

It is, yeah. I watched that one live on IWTV and it's a pretty significant part of why I kept my subscription active.

If you haven't seen them I highly recommend the JT Lightning tournaments.  The ones that are not on IWTV are my favorites and I cannot wait until they are added. Originally they were called TPI  Todd Pettengill Invitational.  Some of my favorite shows. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Boydy said:

What shows are a good watch on IWTV then as I subscribed this week and now I am ready to tuck into some good indy Wrestling.

Any good top to bottom shows from Defy, Progress, Black Label Pro,GCW, AIW, Beyond or any other promotions on there as I have heard good things about these promotions but don't know what events to watch.

AIW  JT Lightning tournaments are stacked,  also the Gauntlet for the Gold shows are essentially Royal Rumble type shows.   IWA-MS 2002-2005 shows are loaded too

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Even better, South African. He and Ray Apollo beat two fake Kamala esque guys in the "African final" to earn their Starrcade spot.

No, they didn't even go that far. That's given them too much credit. The Beast and whatever the name of the other guy was (Kaluha?) were just two black guys (w/ stereotypical middle age black dude 1980s shags no less) dressed like random TV jobbers. They looked like they just got off their shift at an autobody shop. Think two dudes who look like Brickhouse Brown if he just decided to not work out.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Ah. I had just listened to the BTS where they discussed it and that's how they described it. I dont know I've watched it personally in a while. 

Found this while looking for that tag match. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boydy said:

Check out the Forza Lucha shows. They are the yearly charity event put on by the Empire Supporters Club (Metro/Red Bulls supporters group that I proudly belong to) and the funds raised go to a Pediatric AIDS charity in Newark. Sadly there are only 3 up at the present time, but check out the earliest one up there with some pretty familiar names taking place outside at the late great El Pastor in Newark. Shows are always held in the day before one of our matches at night. The one this season is planned for before we piss on the Fire (and their one song) in July but obviously right now things are up in the air right now.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Ah. I had just listened to the BTS where they discussed it and that's how they described it. I dont know I've watched it personally in a while. 

I only know this because I watched the show (CotC: Thanksgiving Thunder) w/ the WHW episode for it. That particular detail stuck out to me because I expected some BS racist gimmick too when I heard those names and not two dudes who might as well be my uncles. They just found two random wrestlers from that area, gave them some names, and put them in there. 

Speaking of that, I was looking into who those guys were and it's crazy looking at some of these reviews and forum posts that people confused Ray Apollo and Matt Borne (Osborne). I know they were in WCW around the same time and went on to portray the same gimmick. Even Conrad Thompson did on the WHW episode for Starrcade 1990. The South African tag team isn't in WCW but for a brief cup of tea (looking at results, Petty and Apollo were working against each in dark matches before that) and then Borne shows up as Big Josh in WCW in 91. I guess folks just decided that they are the same person.

27 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What was the point of putting Prince Iuakea under a mask while also wrestling without one? He wasn’t like an ugly dude or anything, and the mask gear wasn’t better than his actual non-masked gear.

I was trying to figure out what you were talking about and found out there are two Prince Iaukeas. Two Cheetah Kids, too.

Edited by MORELOCK

I’m watching one of the better TPI’s, that being TPI 2007. This was one of those shows that they had a real ring, and not a king sized bed with ring ropes around it.

Kingston rocking the current Taker look in this tournament of wearing the singlet top right above the gut might be one of the most ridiculous hiding flaws look in wrestling.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Ranger Ross had some sweet kicks. I think JR even throws out an “Educated Feet” for him on commentary for a few shows.

He really needed a repackaging.

One of these days a music label is going to send IWTV a “cease and desist” if an angry fan tips them off.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

It’s 1997. You and your brother drag your poor mother to your first wrestling show, an NWA card at the local armory. Sunny comes out in hot pants and announces she’s managing the New Doink the Clown. A guy comes out in the gimmick, but you just know that’s not the real Doink. The lights go out, and a sinister laugh rings from the loudspeakers. The familiar Enter Sandman riff begins, and Matt Borne emerges in Zumba pants and clown makeup, beer and kendo stick in hand. You know who Sandman is, and you know who Doink is, but you have no idea what the fuck is going on. It doesn’t matter because it’s your happening and it’s freaks you out. He does the chugging/head smashing the can bit directly in front of you, drenching your 7-year-old brother in Coors Lite, and you laugh and laugh. Later at intermission, you use your Christmas money to get a Tom Brandi autographed 8x10 because you’ve seen him on Raw two times, and then he disappointingly comes out afterwards and works a match as an Italian ethic stereotype named Salvatore Sincere. Sid is advertised, but well...you know the rest. 

It’s all downhill from here. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6