DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I know I'm decades late to this party but I just finished Chi Town Rumble, Clash of the Champions 6 and Wrestlewar 89. Just wow. I'd rank them CotC as the best, Chin Town Rumble and last Wrestlewar 89. Fantastic trilogy. 

• Like 5

If you've got IWTV, watch the AIW Xmas show that's streaming right now. Alex Shelley vs Lee Moriarty is on the card.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m in the minority that liked Chi-Town Rumble more. I guess I dig babyface title wins, and that was the best against Flair to me.

I dug the win but I felt CotC was, I can't appropriately describe it, more epic. I was thought it was going to be a draw when watching it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I know I'm decades late to this party but I just finished Chi Town Rumble, Clash of the Champions 6 and Wrestlewar 89. Just wow. I'd rank them CotC as the best, Chin Town Rumble and last Wrestlewar 89. Fantastic trilogy. 

Better late than never. You have them in the right.order. Steamboat/Flair, Clash of the Champions VI is one of the 10 best matches of all time. What a trilogy of matches.

• Like 1

The silver lining to the quarantine, if you can call it that, is that thanks to the Secret Santo thread I have gotten into 80s wrestling. I'm trying to catch up on the network. Watching Clash of the Champions 7, it's refreshing. Have some Dustin Rhodes matches people on here suggested a long time ago. Starrcade 84, 86 and 89. Spring Stampede 94.

Shane Douglas and Johnny Ace with frisbees and skateboards are so tubular. 

• Like 1

I’m not going to say it’s the best, but I always find myself watching WrestleWar, probably because of the post match angle. Then I’ll follow it up immediately with the Flair/Funk I Quit match. Fall into it at least once every year. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, AxB said:

If you've got IWTV, watch the AIW Xmas show that's streaming right now. Alex Shelley vs Lee Moriarty is on the card.

Self-quoting because it was awesome. You ever see a guy do a standing Sliced Bread #2 outside of the ring, with his opponent leaning on the guard rail? You ever see a guy come out wearing an elbow pad on his right arm, then transfer it to his left arm when his opponent starts targeting said left arm? Both happened in this match. Along with a whole boatload of other great things. Match had everything.

• Like 2

The Steamboat/Flair trilogy is great, but *whispers* I like the Funk/Flair hardcore match that the aftermath of the last match of the trilogy directly led into even more than any of the Steamboat/Flair matches. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I’m not going to say it’s the best, but I always find myself watching WrestleWar, probably because of the post match angle. Then I’ll follow it up immediately with the Flair/Funk I Quit match. Fall into it at least once every year. 

Same here. I think it’s the purity of Flair/Steamboat going into the wildness of Flair/Funk that does it for me, the clash in styles highlights how good both matches are. Three of the absolute best at their best.

• Like 1

Of all the Wrestling I've watched today (which is a lot), I've watched three matches that were for World titles: Triple H (c) vs Roman Reigns, Mance Warner (c) vs Atticus Cogar, and Matthew Justice (c) vs Tom Lawlor vs Joshua Bishop.

The three way was the best one, of the three matches. H and Reigns was (by some distance) the least. It's very odd that Hunter came up in the WWE at the same time as Rock and Austin, was positioned as being on the same level as the two of them, but... it was a rare thing, for Rock or Austin to lose a crowd in the middle of a match. And when it did happen, they would always find a way to get them back. Whereas H seems to lose the crowd every time he goes more then ten minutes, and they stay lost.

What promotions were the other 2 in?

HHH vs Roman was so badly built plus that show was so ungodly long. I think HHH is awful left to his own devices though. That match being that long is typical HHH but I imagine it held prior to the PG era and it's a big blood bath that actually ends things. 

On a different note, Steamboat vs Funk from Clash of the Champions 7 was tremendous aside the ending. It set up 2 matches I imagine will be great though, in Steamboat-Luger and Flair-Funk. Onto GAB '89!

Edited by Six String Orchestra
Wrong word

Warner vs Cogar was for the AAW title, but was in Bizarro Lucha (which is based in Indianapolis, not Mexico). Justice vs Lawler vs Bishop was for the Absolute Intense Wrestling (AIW) Absolute Title, although Justice came in as double champion because at the time he held the Intense Championship as well.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

https://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/ric-flair-ricky-steamboat-trilogy-interview

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Did you guys see the article about the WWE sending a survey to gauge interest about streaming fan watch alongs to TV?

https://heelbynature.com/wrestling-news/wwe-news/wwe-considers-adding-fan-reactions-to-programming-in-lieu-of-live-audience/
wwe-survey-tv-no-audience-hbn.jpg
The Tout tech is back! 

Welcome to my nightmare.

- RAF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Best 2 of 3 Falls. I still remember the first time I saw that in 1989. It wasnt live as we didnt have cable- I just remember it being shown in syndication somehow. Either way that match is why I'm a wrestling fan.

That chicken wing spot is still amazing.

• Like 1

Hope all is doing well. Been a while since I posted. I'm in the work from home brigade so my current wrestling watch projects:

1) Continuing Saturday Night's Main Events. Picked back up in 1986. 

2) Six-disc recap of the Raven/Dreamer feud.

3) Pride shows. 

Also,  just read Eggshells (great book). Does anyone know where the fuck I can find the Bridge of Dreams show? Is it on NJPW World? The only thing coming up on Google searches is the AJPW tag. And [redacted] doesn't have it uploaded either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Does anyone know where the fuck I can find the Bridge of Dreams show? Is it on NJPW World? The only thing coming up on Google searches is the AJPW tag. And [redacted] doesn't have it uploaded either.

So how do I put this without completely breaking (board)-laws? If you are using something, that has synonyms like deluge or cascade: shift the following three letters by one to the right on the keyboard (using QWERTY layout): ZQR and use the classic version of that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AxB said:

Lee got his start in NWA East/PWX  out here in Pittsburgh. He is one of the nicest guys in wrestling. Pittsburgh's PWX (now known as fight society) is a shady promotion. The promoter Jim Miller was booking Angelgate  and  the females found a video camera hidden in their locker room.  You can watch some of Lee's early matches on Highspots Network as well as the Angelgate shows.  For anyone that knows PWX they can tell you the promotion runs in the most violent part of Pittsburgh. The promoter is carny as fuck. Hot dog and a handshake is what 90% of the roster makes.  Jim owns the building they run in and he tells the workers how lucky they are to have a place they can train whenever they want.    Lee is head and shoulders the best talent they've had in years and it's good to see him finally get noticed.