DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I don't understand why Mania is still going ahead.

it would actually hype people up more if they put it on hold until say Thanksgiving. Spend 6-8 months hyping the matches. Put out a Becky Lynch doco, give us a sit down interview with Shayna and show her working out. Talk to Ronda about her friend etc.

Works wonders for UFC.

If they are going to have 16 matches then you could give each match a 2 week build package of interviews, key matches, highlights, training videos etc. Run them all once in order and then again to fill out the time and give anyone who missed it the first time a chance to watch. Last week before Mania is the hard sell, getting everyone back together (still no touching/matches for the Mania crew, let the lower card guys get some time) and then the huge release is Mania Night 1.

At this point it's just Vince trying to tell the world that he can't be stopped. Lord help him when one of the roster tests positive. I dont even want to think about what happens if someone is put in the ICU or worse...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Here is a topic I would love to hear debated.  Who was the bigger influencer  Heyman or Ian Rotten?  Both got a decent talent pool to essentially kill themselves for very low money.  Both also owe talent a decent ammt of $$$ too.   Ian had guys like Hero, Punk, and Colt working for him regularly while Paul had guys like Dreamer, Raven, and Shane.  

12 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

this I have to disagree with. Wrestling in front of those "40 glue sniffers" got Punk, Colt, Hero, Jimmy Jacobs, Alex Shelly, Chris Sabin, Nate Webb, and others noticed by companies like TNA and ROH.  Danny Daniels is another one. He now runs AAW.   I do however see the point of "why would someone already on TV work for Ian"  but you have to remember  they had a weird relationship. Mickie was living with the Rottens and someone can probably confirm they had more than a father-daughter type relationship.  

Honestly, this response is the answer for the "Heyman vs. Rotten" influencer, because ultimately they're different examples of the independent scene.

Paul Heyman was more the old era of independent wrestling, who would influence you to kill yourself for a very low money by supporting the indie scene and saying if you did this, ECW would be as big as WCW and WWF...and by the way, taking this big payday from WCW or WWF was turning your back on the indie scene and selling out."

Ian Rotten was more the new era of independent wrestling- where it's "well, of course you need to kill yourself for this very small amount of money. Don't you know all the great wrestlers who came through my door? All of these people worked here, and because of the prestige of this promotion, they ended up huge stars! This is an investment. It's betting on yourself that once you do well here, the doors of all the bigger promotions...and then, who knows, maybe even AEW and WWE, will all open for you and then you'll be a huge star." 

Ultimately, it also seems to make Heyman the bigger influencer because of that difference: Rotten influences people to kill themselves for him by dangling the carrot of "do this and you'll graduate to ROH and then to Impact/AEW/WWE". Heyman influences people by saying "Ignore the carrot being dangled in front of you, you're already at the pinnacle of pro wrestling."

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Who here ever assumed he was trained by Kowalski? I always heard he lied about his training and if Kowalski was at the show, he wouldn't have gotten on.

The point wasn't just "he was trained by Kowalski solely because he lived in the area", but rather "he was likely trained by Kowalski because, again, Kowalski's whole training ethos was built around how had absolutely no quality control whatsoever over his training classes." Again. It needs to be said that Kowalski's school was always built around "You have 2000 bucks? I'll train you to be a wrestler.", which could either get very, very good performers like he did...but also could get a bunch of starry-eyed people with little to no hope of ever going further than maybe a couple of battle royals at the VFW hall (you know, if you sell your friends and family 20 tickets)to come in and pay their money. Knowing this, it's very likely Kulas was one of those starry-eyed no-hopers who did his training, got onto some shitty small-time indie shows, saw too many Hollywood movies about the long-suffering understudy who got a chance at the limelight because the real star wasn't there and ended up a superstar...and then when Axl Rotten no-showed, thought this was his chance and shot his shot, only for real life to blow up in his face as hard as it could.

• Like 2

Watching the Network special about essential WrestleMania matches and I'm at Taker/HBK from Mania 26. The King actually is having a great night on the mic. Of course, Cole and Striker are not and the three man booth turns into Cole shouting "Vintage" while Striker bumbles around trying to get a word in. It got me thinking though: what are some of the King's best calls? Anything strike anyone off the top of their head?

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Watching the Network special about essential WrestleMania matches and I'm at Taker/HBK from Mania 26. The King actually is having a great night on the mic. Of course, Cole and Striker are not and the three man booth turns into Cole shouting "Vintage" while Striker bumbles around trying to get a word in. It got me thinking though: what are some of the King's best calls? Anything strike anyone off the top of their head?

I'm not a big fan of the King as an announcer. My favorite small thing that still makes me laugh was after the Austin heel turn he stuns somebody and Lawler is doing his best JR impression screaming "STUNNER! STUNNER! STUNNER!". And then he casually says, "c'mon, JR, why aren't you say it like you always do?". 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Mankind/Taker Hell in a Cell. 

JR: Again if this match has ended we apologize...

King: I have never seen...why do you apologize for THAT? I’ve never seen anything like that in my life.

Then after Foley goes through the ceiling, King’s matter of fact, “That’s it. He’s dead.”

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

PUPPIES!

• Haha 1

If once they've taped Wrestlemania (and post-Mania RAW) they shut it down and have all the storylines end, so they can come back once Corona/Lockdown is over... does that mean Raw will no longer be the longest running weekly episodic sports-based entertainment blah blah nonsense made up category et cetera?

Or will they just go to re-runs and best ofs until they come back, thus maintaining the streak of being on every week (unless it's the 90s and there's a dog show on)?

Listening to Brodie Lee on Jericho's podcast and it's so fucking frustrating knowing how poorly he was used in WWE. Basically similar stuff to what everyone said: Vince wanted him to having a southern drawl, he pitched tons of ideas and all they could ever come back to was teaming him and Rowan together, he wanted to be an intelligent speaker and Vince couldn't see it because with Lee's look he should sound southern, Rowan is then the one who gets the gimmick of being an intelligent speaker for a monster, being frustrated that he's over with fans and Vince didn't see it, Arn was one of his biggest proponents and that wound up hurting him, etc.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

this I have to disagree with. Wrestling in front of those "40 glue sniffers" got Punk, Colt, Hero, Jimmy Jacobs, Alex Shelly, Chris Sabin, Nate Webb, and others noticed by companies like TNA and ROH.  Danny Daniels is another one. He now runs AAW.   I do however see the point of "why would someone already on TV work for Ian"  but you have to remember  they had a weird relationship. Mickie was living with the Rottens and someone can probably confirm they had more than a father-daughter type relationship.  

Okay, exposure is always a valid point hit or miss as it may  be. I would contend that there were probably a number of guys as talented as those you named wrestling for some outlaw mudshow like IWA MS who are now working at 7-11 or (God forbid), still working indy cards for twenty bucks and all the beer you can drink. 

As to your last point, I'm well aware of that and it nauseates me strangely. Actually thinking of Ian Rotten in close proximity with another human being is pretty disturbing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So the Miz apparently showed up to the TV tapings sick, and pissed off the roster.

Man if we find out that one of the main event matches was rescheduled because of this then Meltzer and Alvarez are going to order a hit on him.  

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So the Miz apparently showed up to the TV tapings sick, and pissed off the roster.

For I second I read that as pissed ON the roster. And was wondering why they agreed to all stand bunched up, and didn't run off when he got his knob out.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Man if we find out that one of the main event matches was rescheduled because of this then Meltzer and Alvarez are going to order a hit on him.  

Isn’t this exactly what happened?  Metlzer is reporting Roman refused to work the takings after finding out Mis is sick and the match is now Goldberg vs. Braun.

30 minutes ago, AxB said:

For I second I read that as pissed ON the roster. And was wondering why they agreed to all stand bunched up, and didn't run off when he got his knob out.

There are other places on the internet that you can post your Miz slashfic, man.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Not showing was the smartest thing Dolph's ever done.

To be fair, not much competition on that score.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2