DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Morganti said:

I think the blade job HHH did on William Regal in a first blood match wasn't to awful in terms of getting another guy juiced..but i could be wrong

When was this?

Also, considering it's Regal, I'm surprised he didn't just ask for it to be hard way.

2 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

When was this?

Also, considering it's Regal, I'm surprised he didn't just ask for it to be hard way.

January 2008

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

He bladed basically everyone he wrestled

I've seen a metric ton of Abby but never noticed that, though I ALWAYS catch him blading himself (multiple times, in every match). Weird. 

The Hokuto/Kandori match we were talking about in the Secret Santo thread had another bad example as Wally Yamaguchi bladed Hokuto too deep. At first you don't think it's too bad and then you realize "whoa..."

Asking another wrestler to blade you: Bad idea.

Asking New Jack to blade you: VERY bad idea:

(BTW the reason I posted this is because it's the only thing on YouTube that has footage of the incident, and the fact that uploading it has been so thoroughly and effectively policed is mindblowing).

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've seen a metric ton of Abby but never noticed that, though I ALWAYS catch him blading himself (multiple times, in every match). Weird. 

The Hokuto/Kandori match we were talking about in the Secret Santo thread had another bad example as Wally Yamaguchi bladed Hokuto too deep. At first you don't think it's too bad and then you realize "whoa..."

If I'm not mistaken, I think when the blood started to clot for Kandori, they went out and did an additional one on her after Hokuto does a highspot to the outside. Shinobu Kandori comes back in the ring and now her cut looks fresh.

Speaking of Kandori, I think Megumi Kudo did the one on her during their barbed wire rope match where Kandori comes out dressed like a Yakuza member. I know the ref usually does it in Japan, but I think there was an issue where Shinobu being stubborn wouldn't move her hands from her face and Kudo couldn't find a good place to gig her. Then, the ref is looking at Kudo (who is in basically the mount position on Kandori) like "What the fuck...get on with it" and Megumi realizes she might as well do it...gets her pretty good. Since Kandori had the blonde hair at the time, it looks pretty darn impressive. 

One that skirts the line of good/bad....I was watching Nagata vs. Makabe (the more infamous one from July 2007, not March of the same year). The ref (Red Shoes?) does one on Makabe in probably the quickest but most dangerous way possible. As the already bleeding Nagata is beating up Makabe in the corner, the ref rushes in to break up the fracas, and back Nagata off. The camera comes back to the corner, Makabe sitting down selling turns his head, and he is badly gashed on the side of his head. This happened in the span of 1-2 seconds so Makabe didn't do it on his self. It turned out well for the drama of the actual match, but to let the ref basically do it when his hand isn't going to be steady most likely and he wasn't even looking really is...insane. He could have sliced Makabe's eyelid off or some crazy shit. These dudes are nuts.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Kazaa and Limewire were how I saw a lot of stuff like that for the first time. It was definitely how I saw both Necro Butcher and Joe for the first time, in that gnarly ROH vs CZW feud match where Necro took a powerslam bump on his head on concrete. 

• Like 1

It's funny that we've come to suspend our disbelief for so many things in wrestling, but for some reason, we (fans, the wrestlers, etc.) still demand REAL blood.  Blading is really an unsafe, unsanitary, brutal practice.  It's amazing that it's still around.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Log said:

It's funny that we've come to suspend our disbelief for so many things in wrestling, but for some reason, we (fans, the wrestlers, etc.) still demand REAL blood.  Blading is really an unsafe, unsanitary, brutal practice.  It's amazing that it's still around.

Man...watching Starrcade 83 where you get so many blade jobs and a couple hard ways (the ABSOLUTELY absurd one with Kevin Sullivan on Scott McGhee, Angelo Mosca blading his own arm, the insanity with Colon/Abdullah where they leave giants puddles still pristine and visible the entire night, the insanity of Piper and Valentine, and then Race/Flair), it's insane that some of these shows just didn't get shut down midway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Kazaa and Limewire were how I saw a lot of stuff like that for the first time. It was definitely how I saw both Necro Butcher and Joe for the first time, in that gnarly ROH vs CZW feud match where Necro took a powerslam bump on his head on concrete. 

There was a great meme going around awhile back that said "Limewire was basically like having unprotected sex with the entire internet".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Man...watching Starrcade 83 where you get so many blade jobs and a couple hard ways (the ABSOLUTELY absurd one with Kevin Sullivan on Scott McGhee, Angelo Mosca blading his own arm, the insanity with Colon/Abdullah where they leave giants puddles still pristine and visible the entire night, the insanity of Piper and Valentine, and then Race/Flair), it's insane that some of these shows just didn't get shut down midway.

I wonder if it's worse than Starrcade 85. 

6 minutes ago, sabremike said:

There was a great meme going around awhile back that said "Limewire was basically like having unprotected sex with the entire internet".

All those programs were like that except soulseek and maybe a few others.

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if it's worse than Starrcade 85. 

Starrcade-1983.png

That puddle by Harley's head is from the Carlos Colon vs. Abdullah match...which was about two and a half hours earlier. Dudes were rolling around in that shit the entire night. That mat looks like a gruesome crime scene.

But I have to watch Starrcade 85 to see how it compares.

• Like 1

While there is juice in 1985 when you expect it (title match, magnum v tully), you have blood in an arm wrestling match and a tuxedo street fight. 

IIRC, I think there are only 3 or 4 matches without blood. 

That was a double venue show so there were a lot of matches. 

Spoiler
# Results from the Greensboro Coliseum Stipulations Times
1 Krusher Khruschev defeated Sam Houston[7] Singles match for the vacant NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship 9:30
3 Ron Bass defeated Black Bart (with James J. Dillon)[7] Texas Bullrope match 8:34
4 James J. Dillon (with Black Bart) defeated Ron Bass[7] Texas Bullrope match 3:29
7 Buddy Landel (with James J. Dillon) defeated Terry Taylor (c)[7] Singles match for the NWA National Heavyweight Championship 10:30
9 Magnum T.A. defeated Tully Blanchard (c) (with Baby Doll)[7] "I Quit" steel cage match for the NWA United States Heavyweight Championship 14:43
11 The Rock 'n' Roll Express (Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson) (with Don Kernodle) defeated Ivan Koloff and Nikita Koloff (c) (with Krusher Khruschev)[7] Steel cage match for the NWA World Tag Team Championship 12:22
No. Results from The Omni Stipulations Times
2 Manny Fernandez defeated Abdullah the Butcher (with Paul Jones)[7] Mexican Death match 9:07
5 Superstar Billy Graham defeated The Barbarian (with Paul Jones) by disqualification[7] Arm wrestling match N/A
6 Superstar Billy Graham defeated The Barbarian (with Paul Jones) by disqualification Singles match 3:02
8 The Minnesota Wrecking Crew (Ole Anderson and Arn Anderson) (c) defeated Wahoo McDaniel and Billy Jack Haynes[7] Tag team match for the NWA National Tag Team Championship 9:28
10 Jimmy Valiant and Miss Atlanta Lively (with Big Mama) defeated The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton and Dennis Condrey) (with Jim Cornette)[7] Atlanta Street Fight 6:36
12 Dusty Rhodes defeated Ric Flair (c)[note 1][5][7] Singles match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship 22:06
(c) – refers to the champion heading into the match

From the looks of it, 3 or 4 seems about right

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

You're bringing back memories of that bump. Just thinking of it makes me cringe. It's only slightly less awful than the Jack Evans bump when Ricky Reyes didn't catch him.

• Like 1

I rewatched most of Mania 19 today and good God there is a concerted effort of will on Brock Lesnar's part to not just straight up lose consciousness and die in the ring during the post-match there, what a tawdry episode

Between Lesnar, Angle and the state Steve Austin was in, if ever there was a Mania you'd want a fly-on-the-wall WWE 24 style documentary on that, would be up there

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Between Lesnar, Angle and the state Steve Austin was in, if ever there was a Mania you'd want a fly-on-the-wall WWE 24 style documentary on that, would be up there

I know they filmed a bunch of stuff for that show. Some of it aired as a short special later that year.

Edited by PetrolCB

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm sure it will be featured heavily in next week's Dark Side of the Ring.

Interesting fact I learned via The Blue Meanie on one of the Legends of Extreme episodes on Highspots (and BTW the whole series is amazing and worth going out of your way to see): Kulas got on the show claiming he had been trained by Killer Kowalski. Kowalski was a regular at the shows in the area but there was something that happened that caused him to miss that one. If he had been there Kowalski would obviously have been asked about the kid, exposed the fact he was lying and he never would've been added to the show.

Edited by sabremike
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Interesting fact I learned via The Blue Meanie on one of the Legends of Extreme episodes on Highspots (and BTW the whole series is amazing and worth going out of your way to see): Kulas got on the show claiming he had been trained by Killer Kowalski. Kowalski was a regular at the shows in the area but there was something that happened that caused him to miss that one. If he had been there Kowalski would obviously have been asked about the kid, exposed the fact he was lying and he never would've been added to the show.

That's sort of the issue though. If the filter is just asking where you train and not "Have any of you seen this kid work or even seen him ever before in your life", any jackass can just jump in the ring. Instead of Kowalski, he could have said Larry Sharpe or Johnny Rodz. Do those two need to be there to confirm this kid isn't telling the truth? I would hope not.