DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Let me just say, if you don't know what Chessboxing is, you should definitely look it up. It's... Well, it's something.

This is what I came up with

• Like 7

11 hours ago, supremebve said:

Does anyone talk about both The Rock and Steve Austin both putting over Chris Jericho on the same night?  Can you think of a single instance?  It happened around the same time, and was pretty significant at the time.  No one talks about that either.  Doing the right thing rarely makes the news, because that's what you are supposed to do.  You're basically a dad asking, "why don't I get credit for providing for my family?"  It's because that's what you signed up for when you started a family.  Putting your opponent over is the job of a wrestler.  It isn't notable when it happens, it's only notable when it doesn't happen.

But that's related to a similar problem that also ties to why people like Hogan get a bad rap for the "he didn't cause [x] to win the World Title!".

On the first side- wrestling is not even just a zero-sum game where for one to win, another must fail- but goes further to that: No one can succeed unless another person agrees to fail in order to let them succeed. You can't hold someone saying "I don't want to fail for this person's benefit" against anyone, because there's reason to believe that the promotion themselves will punish the people who agree to fail (with claims made companies will take people's losses and use it to say "well, you're worth less money to us because you lost to this person.") 

On the other side- ultimately, the problem with saying "he didn't cause [x] to win the World Title!" is subjective. Sometimes, the spot was them agreeing to fail, sometimes there were other aspects otherwise, and many times it's down to "they're good. This person is BETTER". 

• Like 1

I think I got Survival Tobita to reply to a post on Twitter that I did not tag him on.  I might be more excited about this than making first contact with aliens... unless it was the galactic hillbillies ryuma go fought.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Flair didn't blade from that. He said in his book and elsewhere that Savage did it on him. 

I always found that weird. It's not like Flair hadn't bladed roughly 9 million times before and it wasn't a situation that required ultra precision or discreteness. I mean, you can all but see Savage scalping Flair with a blade after the megaphone shot.

Edited by cwoy2j

9 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I think I got Survival Tobita to reply to a post on Twitter that I did not tag him on.  I might be more excited about this than making first contact with aliens... unless it was the galactic hillbillies ryuma go fought.

• Like 2

Has there ever been an instance of one wrestler blading another that went well? It always seems like they hit a gusher that that’s a little too far. I still remember Dick Togo trying to take the top part of Gran Naniwa’s head home with him in a Michinoku Pro 8-man and it was gruesome.

10 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Has there ever been an instance of one wrestler blading another that went well? It always seems like they hit a gusher that that’s a little too far. I still remember Dick Togo trying to take the top part of Gran Naniwa’s head home with him in a Michinoku Pro 8-man and it was gruesome.

Not watched much Abdullah the Butcher, then? He bladed basically everyone he wrestled, and usually hit the sweet spot in terms of how quickly, how much, and when it stopped.

Although technically him having hepatitis means he really shouldn't have been doing it at all, but it was all he had for quite a lot of his career.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Not watched much Abdullah the Butcher, then? He bladed basically everyone he wrestled, and usually hit the sweet spot in terms of how quickly, how much, and when it stopped.

Although technically him having hepatitis means he really shouldn't have been doing it at all, but it was all he had for quite a lot of his career.

Abby has always been a bit of blind spot for me, now's the time to rectify that. He did All Japan, Puerto Rico, and WCW mostly, right? Him vs Brody and Baba are the ones to watch?

19 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

These two tweets made me laugh out loud. The supermarket brawl is great but that hospital gimmick is legit one of my top ten angles, top five skits and that bed pan shot never fails to make be a giddy as a schoolgirl. It has to be one of my favorite "shots" in rasslin'. Some more: Big Bubba no selling Dusty's chairshot that merely knocks his hat askew, Captain Lou wrapping the chair around Afa's head leading to the breakup/turn, Dreamer's cane shot on a helpless Raven...

memories,

RAF

p.s. = how could I forget the #1 shot? Piper's coconut strike on Snuka!

My all-time fave is Maxx Payne coming out to bean Jerry Saggs with the guitar after the Broad Street Fight at Slamboree 94. The Nasty Boys vs Cactus and Sullivan was already an insane chaotic match, and then AFTER the bell rings and the crowd is already going nuts, Payne comes out to save Cactus from a beatdown and absolutely wallops Saggs in the head with a guitar and the pop for that is one of my favorite WCW crowd pops of all time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Abby has always been a bit of blind spot for me, now's the time to rectify that. He did All Japan, Puerto Rico, and WCW mostly, right? Him vs Brody and Baba are the ones to watch?

If you see one Abby match, you've pretty much seen them all. Stick opponent with fork, pencil or other sharp object until they bleed hardway; rinse, repeat.

Well no, there's two formulas. There's the one where he stabs his opponent with a fork, and there's the one where his opponent disarms him and stabs him with a fork... and then he disarms them and stabs them with a fork as well.

He was also quite fond of telling his opponents to monkey flip him, as a rib. Except Tomoaki Honma didn't realise he was joking and actually did it.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, AxB said:

Well no, there's two formulas. There's the one where he stabs his opponent with a fork, and there's the one where his opponent disarms him and stabs him with a fork... and then he disarms them and stabs them with a fork as well.

He was also quite fond of telling his opponents to monkey flip him, as a rib. Except Tomoaki Honma didn't realise he was joking and actually did it.

I remember Beautiful Bobby monkey flipped Abby on a WCWSN in Sept/Oct 91.

5 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I can't think of an actual match off the top of my head, but J.J. doing one on Lex at Clash of the Champions II when the Horsemen beat him down when Lex arrived at the building is a good one. It does make me laugh cause they do the beatdown, lay boots to him, and J.J. Dillon just casually strolls up to him for no reason, and does it slightly out of the view of the camera. The whole thing is well done.