DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

So he missed the joke because there wasn't a funny part.

"Hogan didn't get squashed by Brock quickly enough" is the kind of revisionism that you could definitely expect from some in the IWC - if they ever talked about this match. But of course, the reason no one talks about this match is because Hogan did the right thing and it made Brock look like a million dollars. Can't be giving Hogan any credit for literally anything without Natural coming and spamming threads. IIRC, people thought it was a great way to get Brock over, but even then no one was willing to praise Hogan too loudly.

I'm in agreement with you. I love that match. I was never the biggest Hogan fan and Hogan was pretty old at that point, but Brock felt like he killed Hogan and Hulkamania. I never once thought Brock didn't win fast enough. He systematically destroyed Hogan, didn't pin him with F5, and squeezed the life out of him with Heyman screaming like a madman on the outside. I fucking loved Brock the moment he first showed up on Raw and was ready for him to win the title and seeing him destroy Hogan en route to that was awesome. Everything about it was damn near perfect.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pete said:
  • Tuxedos - because part of the feud was them fighting over the "Mid South's Best Dressed" title or somesuch.

I just watched part of a Duggan shoot with Corny on Youtube and he said they initially had a "dress-off" because Ted was a dapper dresser and Duggan was a slob who would show up in sweats all the time. 

I also watched the Last Battle of Atlanta last night and don't think it was better than the Mid-South match. It was over in a short and uneventful manner and then Ole and Paul Ellering took up a big chunk of time. I guess if one had seen the whole build, watching Paul getting his ass whooped was a big deal, but watching it cold after such a brief match made it come off weak sauce. Tommy did bleed a bucket (but then I also watched a standard studio angle from Memphis with Dirty Rhodes and crew too and he bled just as much for that). 

2 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

So I watched Starrcade 1995 for the first time. The World Cup was mostly bad but I have to ask, where did the trophy go after the show? Please tell me someone has it sitting proudly on a shelf. 

Also mvp goes to Johnny B Badd for getting tossed over the top rope for 1 point for WCW. Would of been brilliant if a heel did that and tried to claim all the glory for the winning team. 

That had the bomb ass Eddie v. Otani  match. And Otani’s bomb ass Member’s Only jacket.

and then an epic Ric Flair blade job. 

I loved this show.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So WMXXX replay on ESPN did over 800,000 viewers and a 0.30 in the 18-49 demo.  It was the most watched thing on ESPN that day.  It was top 5 on cable for non-news programming. 

Well I mean this was their lead in

giphy.gif

so...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Who says we have to cancel the Olympics?  Our squirrels are betters than yours.. IMO

At the point, ESPN may have to do ESPN The Ocho legit 24/7 but somehow erase people from the equation.

I want to see them air curling, Jai Alai, rugby, fencing, lacrosse. It would amuse me. 

55 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

That had the bomb ass Eddie v. Otani  match. And Otani’s bomb ass Member’s Only jacket.

See the Secret Santo thread for Six String's review of this along with the Dailymotion file if you want to watch it

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I want to see them air curling, Jai Alai, rugby, fencing, lacrosse. It would amuse me. 

"Can the squirrel or small rodent combine be less slave plantation-ish compared to the actual NFL Combine? Tune in tonight at 7 pm Eastern on ESPN The Ocho!"

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

TBH I didn't even know this existed. In case you are in the dark too, reading this conversation: 

The 2004 comedy film DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story gently lampoons the channel's multiple outlets by referencing the fictional ESPN8, "The Ocho",[49] a reference to a nickname formerly used by ESPN2, "the Deuce". ESPNU was rebranded ESPN8 The Ocho on August 8, 2017, airing obscure competitions such as disc golf, kabaddi, arm wrestling and roller derby.[50] On August 8, 2018, the special returned on ESPN2, featuring competitions such as jousting, lightsaber fighting, ultimate frisbee, spikeball, lawn mower racing, roller derby and chess boxing.[51]

Chessboxing. Now I'm imagining them just filming RZA and GZA playing chess by itself in a room together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I want to see First Take do a segment on which squirrels need a ring to solidify their legacy. 

They don't wanna go too deep on those skiing squirrels.  Their mortality rate is worse than NFL linemen.

12 minutes ago, Boydy said:

Also appeaarances from Mick Foley.

Foley, Mark Henry and Rikishi to be exact

Show was saying... somewhere (it might have even been the interview with Steve Austin) that apparently at least Mark Henry did so well that for Season 2 they are planning on making him a recurring character

I can just imagine Vince and crew (mostly Vince) trying to keep doctors, COVID-19 test in hand away from Brooke and Rey-Rey, "NOOOOOO! WE HAVEN'T TAPED EVERYTHING YET! I WON'T LET YOU! I CAN"T LET YOU! MY AJ STYLES-UNDERTAKER MATCH NEEDS A RETAKE!"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

That's a former UK health minister asking if it was staged. 

These two tweets made me laugh out loud. The supermarket brawl is great but that hospital gimmick is legit one of my top ten angles, top five skits and that bed pan shot never fails to make be a giddy as a schoolgirl. It has to be one of my favorite "shots" in rasslin'. Some more: Big Bubba no selling Dusty's chairshot that merely knocks his hat askew, Captain Lou wrapping the chair around Afa's head leading to the breakup/turn, Dreamer's cane shot on a helpless Raven...

memories,

RAF

p.s. = how could I forget the #1 shot? Piper's coconut strike on Snuka!

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Flair bleeds buckets off a weak shot with Jimmy Hart's megaphone by Savage. It was so shocking to see him stain the mat like that. Then it ends a minute later.

Flair didn't blade from that. He said in his book and elsewhere that Savage did it on him.