DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

33 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

I don’t get to see much 205 so Bryan working Gulak has been my first real exposure to him outside of the PowerPoint stuff he used to do. Loving what I see so far

I'm not real familiar with his Indy work but I loved him on 205. You should check out the match he had with Tozawa at Evolve 100 that was a banger.

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm not real familiar with his Indy work but I loved him on 205. You should check out the match he had with Tozawa at Evolve 100 that was a banger.

If you have either IWTV or Highspots look up his work in CZW as both a wrestler and character. Used to have a "Gulak Campaign For A Better Combat Zone" shirt but sadly it got ripped and I had to toss it. 

• Thanks 1

BTW whomever recommend that batshit crazy Mexican promotion on IWTV deserves kudos. Imagine someone dropping a bunch of acid and creating a promotion combining IWA MS garbage matches, AAA when the wrestling was unbelievably horrible, the most sleazy looking backyard fed ever and $5 Dollar Wrestling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

I don’t get to see much 205 so Bryan working Gulak has been my first real exposure to him outside of the PowerPoint stuff he used to do. Loving what I see so far

You should check out Gulak's matches with Riddle and Kushida in NXT last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

BTW whomever recommend that batshit crazy Mexican promotion on IWTV deserves kudos. Imagine someone dropping a bunch of acid and creating a promotion combining IWA MS garbage matches, AAA when the wrestling was unbelievably horrible, the most sleazy looking backyard fed ever and $5 Dollar Wrestling.

Zona 23? That was me. Although @DEAN hipped me to it when he got into the Ludark Shaitan match they posted in YouTube.

I thought a bunch of the midwest indie guys were ribbing each other about going to do shots for Zona 23, but last weekend Matthew Justice actually went there and did it. It's not going up on IWTV until April I think. He's put pictures and gifs on his twitter though:

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, sabremike said:

I assume you mean Zone 23, I will have to take a look at it.

Edited by Boydy
  • Like 1

So after much time, I have decided to start the wrestling blog I’ve been thinking about for a few years now. And I was just wondering how this looked for continuous themes.

1.  French Catch: The French footage boom is by far the most interesting thing going in wrestling to me. I wanted to wait to watch them till I could collect my thoughts accurately. I plan to get caught up and give updates to match with the Segunda Caida drops.

2. Best of the 80’s AWA: So, I was not in a position to really contribute to the DVDVD 80’s project, both time wise or financially. I remember listening to rundowns of the project on different podcasts at the time, but I was at the point then that I literally had no electricity in my house. So one of my current goals is to complete the sets now that I’m in a more stable position, and fill out my “ballot” for each one. First on the docket is the AWA.

3. WWECW: I’m up in the air on this one but I was always fond of WWECW. Not in the first couple months, obviously, but by the time they stopped pretending by it was ECW and was just this weird 3rd brand. Christians title reign, Mark Henry’s precursor to the Hall of Pain run, Punks rose, Matt Hardy’s reign, Finley, Big Daddy V. Just a lot of fun there, on a show that never gets revisited.

4. Etc. You know, live shows I go to, historically relevant shows I’ve missed somehow. That sorta thing.

• Like 2

Adam Thornestowe of Reno Scum has spoken out against Empty Arena shows. His 9 to 5 is in healthcare and he thinks it's medically unsafe to be having matches at all during the pandemic. So that's one wrestler at least.

If we really get a full wrestling shutdown for a few months, assuming there isn't a financial apocalypse and the world returns to something like the old normal, are all the wrestlers who previously invested in home gym equipment going to come back with Pancrase era Shamrock physiques? And the ones who didn't will all look like Russo era Ric Flair?

I meant Frank, not Ken.

Hopefully this is the first post on a new page, and people see it without context.

Edit: DAMN!

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

According to John Pollock of POST Wrestling, WWE is planning out an "ambitious" taping schedule that will cover the company through WrestleMania -- and possibly their biggest show of the year itself.

Pollock reported that the plan is to pre-tape the March 23rd and March 30th editions of Raw and the March 27th and April 3rd editions of SmackDown over the next week which would take them into WrestleMania. He added that one source told him both nights of WrestleMania could also be pre-taped, while another source was unsure if that was the plan.

It's unclear if WWE plans to keep going with a mix of recent archived content with a handful of new matches on those broadcasts. 

Uncertainty reigns around the wrestling business due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic which could shut down any efforts at producing live content at any time, especially if a talent tests positive. Both WWE and AEW appear to be taking a cautious approach in that regard with AEW not committing to saying "next week" with their next edition of Dynamite.

I understand that even the empty arena matches are still a great risk but I think for a lot of wrestlers on the indies they'll run the risk because it's all about visibility. They all lost out on the biggest weekend of the year. Unless some wrestlers come down with it I imagine we'll continue to set empty arena shows.

Yeah, but the dirty little secret is... I guarantee you, someone on the WWE and AEW (and basically every North American & European) roster already has it.  

You're still contagious while you're asymptomatic, so everything with any kind of close contact is extremely high risk.  The lack of testing is the only thing that's keeping the lights on for Wrestlemania. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Population of the USA: 327,200,000.

USA Coronavirus cases: 13, 680.

Odds are against it. Even though the actual number of cases is much higher than the official stat, with your President trying to minimise testing so the number doesn't make him look bad.