DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

17 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Siiiiiiick I've been meaning to track some titanes en El ring down since that El pibe diez clip where he eats it real bad started floating around a while ago

There's full episodes on YouTube now.  That was not always the case and any footage was hard to find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Edwin
28 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

It would devolve into pages upon pages of me shitting on mummies for being the worst monsters ever.  They had so many fucking mummies in Argentina.  

They got nothing on Goro Tsurumi's IWA Kokusai mummies. The Mummy, Black Mummy, Red Mummy, Green Mummy, Gray Mummy, etc, etc.

29 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

It would devolve into pages upon pages of me shitting on mummies for being the worst monsters ever.  They had so many fucking mummies in Argentina.  

Every now and then, I do have to watch the La Momia entrance video on Youtube just to see the terrified kids take the whole thing in.

30 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

El pibe diez clip where he eats it real bad

Thank you so much for the reminder. That goofy fucker just dancing his ass off and then immediately tanking that dive is one of the saddest, funniest things I have ever seen.

Plus we get the added bonus of the downright hilarity of his opponent and the kids getting him right the fuck out of there, so that would be a plus except for how brutally his opponent manhandles him immediately after a severe head and neck trauma.

I am definitely going to watch that again right now. I am a fucking ghoul.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

I 100% disagree with this because if WWE actually goes through with doing something this stupid and irresponsible (literally putting the health and well-being of their staff and wrestlers in danger)  they deserve every single bit of ridicule and mockery they get. If you want to give someone a beatdown how about the guy recklessly putting his employees in serious danger? 

• Like 1

Just saw that Jeff Bowdren (one of the greatest wrestling writers of all time) is in the hospital being treated for lymphoma. His "Terry Gene Bollea" piece in the old Lariat is among my favorite wrestling columns of all time and I am a huge fan of his work. Get well soon Booker Man!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Peak Titanes del Ring. This is even more bizarre than the clips from earlier.

This is the solution for WWE: Suspend all shows and run old episodes of Titanes del Ring in their place. The Smackdown time slot on Fox would end up with higher ratings than the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

This is the solution for WWE: Suspend all shows and run old episodes of Titanes del Ring in their place. The Smackdown time slot on Fox would end up with higher ratings than the Super Bowl.

Men dressed in black robot suits doing in a run in during Mr. Moto vs. Momia Negra and stealing Mr. Moto's motorcycle before riding it through the streets of Buenos Aires > anything on SmackDown

Sucks JJSB got cancelled. If they run it next year, I'm going to suggest they book some of the Titanes del Ring characters. 

24 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Men dressed in black robot suits doing in a run in during Mr. Moto vs. Momia Negra and stealing Mr. Moto's motorcycle before riding it through the streets of Buenos Aires > anything on SmackDown

Sucks JJSB got cancelled. If they run it next year, I'm going to suggest they book some of the Titanes del Ring characters. 

Sadly the WON 2008 HOF issue isn't online with the article on Martin Karadagian because it's a must read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martín_Karadagian

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanes_en_el_ring

I watched the segment with Taker from last night on YouTube. Boy that was awful. WWE performers like to act like they’ve become fully formed wrestlers because they perform in the big time, but fuck I’ve seen better work in front of a 10 fan attended IWA-MS show from 15 years ago. If this was worse than that, I can’t imagine how lousy Cena, Taker, Goldberg, and countless others will look working matches that look, and sound like a sleazy custom wrestling match. At least somebody like Minoru Suzuki, Daniel Bryan, and the Battlarts guys can make it look real without a crowd. 

Kevin Dunn’s camera work makes it even worse. They desperately need a soundtrack during each match, or the commentary needs to yell during every moment. Fuck it, if it don’t make sense. The spot calling isn’t gonna hurt them, it’s the sound of air between each worked punch that will hurt these matches. I would even go so far to reevaluate the “legendary” status of some of these guys because of empty arena Mania. That’s how bad my prediction of the outcome is if it goes on like that segment. 

AEW empty should avoid matches, or physical altercations with top stars like the plague on Wednesday.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

29 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

At least somebody like Minoru Suzuki, Daniel Bryan, and the Battlarts guys can make it look real can make it look real without a crowd. 

Eh, no they can't. They just stiff the fuck out of each other and other people. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Eh, no they can't. They just stiff the fuck out of each other and other people. 

Exactly, it looks better. Those tiny Battlarts shows shot on single camera look fantastic, and sound fantastic. Those guys were also taught to work a shoot style. The majority of WWE performers don’t have a Gotch-Style background, or emulate it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Exactly, it looks better. Those tiny Battlarts shows shot on single camera look fantastic, and sound fantastic. Those guys were also taught to work a shoot style. The majority of WWE performers don’t have a Gotch-Style background, or emulate it.

Its not a matter of looks. They are actually hitting each other. That isn't what WWE or non-shoot style promotions in general want. Its fine if you like it more, but to complain about guys not actually beating the shit out of each other on purpose being a bad thing just seems ridiculous.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its not a matter of looks. They are actually hitting each other. That isn't what WWE or non-shoot style promotions in general want. Its fine if you like it more, but to complain about guys not actually beating the shit out of each other on purpose being a bad thing just seems ridiculous.

You’re misinterpreting me. I’m not advocating that they work that style. This is me saying that for however long they plan to do this, they should not do these crowd less shows at all. It makes the company look like crap. I mean they are just showing long matches from prior shows right? So they know how bad this stuff looks like.

The long matches from prior shows seems to be more a case of filling time using as few people as possible. That said I don't disagree that the crowd-less shows should not continue. I liked Smackdown as one off and promos here and there are fine, but a certain magic is always going to be missing from matches when there is no audience. I'm especially annoyed right now they plan to move forward with Wrestlemania. If I was a shareholder I would be pissed since that is money lost that could easily be saved by postponing the show.

Edited by Eivion

We forget how much that we, as a viewer, bring to the pro wrestling experience. Suspension of disbelief is very necessary to enjoy a match/card/worker and slick production makes it easier to watch and hides a stableful of sins.. People are quick to assume that if  like a wrestler, then s/he is a good worker. and therefore good at every aspect of it. The lighting, production, camerawork, crowd noise, announcing, spectacle, resolution, arenas themselves, all contribute to our experience. Truly great workers can turn it out under most circumstances but that is rare. One rightfully alters one's mindset when viewing a second gen VHS indy tape, as compared to a major recent PPV - if the bells and whistles that you are used to getting with a particular show are not there, it can be jarring, and we have to contribute more to get more.

This is why a match like the Lawler/Funk Empty Arena match is rightfully revered: not every worker could have pulled that off (and Lance Russel was a necessary component). If you start to eliminate some factors or elements (entrance ramp, ring ropes, a hot crowd, in ring cameras, workers that you have an emotional attachment to, et al), folks gonna get exposed. 

- RAF

• Like 1