DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

There is a live show from Bumblefuck NJ streaming on IWTV by the H2O promotion built around a death match tournament. It's every bit as low rent as you would imagine but at least it's something. 

Also signed up for Honor Club. Navigation isn't the greatest (far below IWTV and Highspots) and it's ridiculous that PPV's are all only available for people paid in full via VIP (PPV's should be available to all after 60-90 days on a streaming service). But there is a good deal of stuff up, most of the old comps are up and every show from the first year is up (and remember that most of those shows were only available on VHS and the ones on DVD were bad because they had no chapters) which having access to those shows is worth the $10 a month alone.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 10:52 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I went to Shop Rite earlier and it was a madhouse. Water, eggs, frozen food, etc. cleaned out. I just had to get a few things for me and my grandmother, who turned 92 last week while I house-sit for my mother and step-father, who are in the Bahamas.

Oddly locally all that is in short supply is toilet paper and hand sanitizers.

Had to go on a TP run yesterday. Both of my parents are elderly and my father has bad lungs. So told them for the next few weeks to stay at home. Had to goto 5 stores to get some TP. Walmart was out. 3 Dollar Generals were out,Family Dollar was out. But found some at Walgreens.

And to make this wrestling related Battlezone Wrestling is having their once a year big 2 day Widowfest show.  Normally BZ draws maybe 50 people a show. Last night at night 1 of Widowfest ,after bringing in Al Snow,Dr Tom Prichard and Swoggle,they barely drew 100.

EDIT-Forgot to hit send. Second night of Battlezone's Widowfest event happened.Drew 80 people. The lady doing the music had on a horrible perfume and it made me keep sneezing. 

But hey got to see a main event with Marvelous Monty Warbucks/Cassidy Riley vs Xtian Blake and DR TOM PRICHARD!!!

Dave mentioned on the WOR that he thinks AEW and WWE should tape at least three weeks of TV this week in the empty arenas. If the crowd is empty anyway, you won't burn them out by going six or even nine hours, you'll save money, you can send everyone home after and reduce the risk of the virus running through the roster/crew, and even the risk of spoilers getting out is pretty low if you don't have fans there. That would take WWE up to their Go Home Shows for the potential Mania, and both companies can then reevaluate options at the start of April.

• Like 1

Not a bad idea, really. Whatever AEW does, they gotta delay the not War Games match until there are fans in the building. It's a match based on emotion and you ain't getting shit in an empty arena. 

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Dave mentioned on the WOR that he thinks AEW and WWE should tape at least three weeks of TV this week in the empty arenas. If the crowd is empty anyway, you won't burn them out by going six or even nine hours, you'll save money, you can send everyone home after and reduce the risk of the virus running through the roster/crew, and even the risk of spoilers getting out is pretty low if you don't have fans there. That would take WWE up to their Go Home Shows for the potential Mania, and both companies can then reevaluate options at the start of April.

It’s not a bad idea right now, but will they do it in time before states sanction mandatory quarantines? I think the entertainment industry should take a hiatus. Nobody really gives a shit about these empty arena shows right now. This whole “We need to exist before the people forget” shit doesn’t need to happen. When the dust settles we’ll need our entertainment, but now is not the fucking time for this.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s not a bad idea right now, but will they do it in time before states sanction mandatory quarantines? I think the entertainment industry should take a hiatus. Nobody really gives a shit about these empty arena shows right now. This whole “We need to exist before the people forget” shit doesn’t need to happen. When the dust settles we’ll need our entertainment, but now is not the fucking time for this.

I assume until they are forced to shut down, they'll keep going. But putting shows in the can ahead of that happening would make more sense, especially for AEW that doesn't own a multi-million dollar facility of their own.

Right now, both companies are planning to go ahead with live broadcasts next week. So might as well do a few weeks at once while you still can.

Then after the taped shows are used up, I guess you just fill those hours with older content unless the networks let them off the hook.

I just want to say this whole situation is so surreal. We are so good at plowing ahead and pretending everything is okay in today's societies. For the first time in our lifetimes, at least in the west, everything is not okay. If you provide some separation and objectivity, LoneWolf probably isn't wrong here. Moreso than any sport, wrestling is based on emotion and crowd response. I love me some AEW but maybe just go away for now. There's no need to add risk to staff and wrestlers for this. 

• Like 1

I don't disagree, but I do think, if they are so bound and determined to have new TV, taping several weeks worth in one night is surely a better idea than flying everyone in and out every Wednesday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't disagree, but I do think, if they are so bound and determined to have new TV, taping several weeks worth in one night is surely a better idea than flying everyone in and out every Wednesday.

That’s fine, and if they can, then they can film matches back to back fast, and hopefully they can stretch this out for a month or two. But it feels inevitable that this won’t clear up soon, and both companies will run out of new footage. BTW, if there is a mandatory quarantine, who will be running these networks to make sure they air new programming?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

German, but at least it’s executed properly most times. When an Exploder is used, it normally looks like shit, and it doesn’t have to. It’s a pretty safe move when done the right way.

It feels scary right now.

I think that's exactly the case: lots of people do an Exploder these days and it looks to have zero impact - there's no point to it. 

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s fine, and if they can, then they can film matches back to back fast, and hopefully they can stretch this out for a month or two. But it feels inevitable that this won’t clear up soon, and both companies will run out of new footage. BTW, if there is a mandatory quarantine, who will be running these networks to make sure they air new programming?

Honestly, who the fuck knows? I have no idea if we will have mandatory quarantine, or shutting down of non-essential business, or what. I do know that the world is gonna get real fucking boring if tv stations and ott services go down because of it. Good thing I own a lot of discs and books.

Well hopefully the internet doesn’t go down...

The first one he hits on Hayabusa at the end of this match is to me the peak Exploder you want to hit on a regular basis.

Edit: Let’s all go on a rewatch of 90’s AJPW. All the best stuff is all over YouTube if you don’t feel like downloading it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

especially for AEW that doesn't own a multi-million dollar facility of their own

I mean, the guy on top has reasonably unfettered access to an NFL stadium and a EFL stadium. While I get what you mean, it would be so easy to tape empty arena shows in either one of those places, unless you couldn't pare down essential personnel to whatever number in order to comply with any local congregation ban.

It just seems like such an easy decision to make. Shut the whole fucking thing down and run archive footage or shows in empty houses for a little less than a month. It's pro wrestling. While I think it is really fucking great, it's just a dumb piece of entertainment. We can go right back to sitting right on top of hundreds of other weirdos in May.

• Like 1

I was just advised via email to stay home.  I work in two capacities at my job; one, I'm a liaison for mental health services at our local detention center.  And two, I manage the incoming discharges & continuity of care for patients who are referred to my clinic from one of the Behavioral health units (attached to a general hospital).

One of the inmates I screened a couple of days ago came from a pod where a guy is now "a suspected positive"; the *positive inmate has been incarcerated for a little over a week.

And there are two confirmed cases from the general hospital from where they send discharges.  And I've seen 8 discharges in the past two weeks.

Y'all are going to have to go into overdrive to entertain me for the next several days.

Found out Friday I am to work half days this week and none next week. I have WWE Network and Impact Plus. I've tried NJPW World and really didn't like how English subtitles were an after thought. Thinking of trying Highspots, Powerbomb.tv or another service out for the month. Might get back into MLW or NWA Powerrr if nothing interesting pops up. Any one got recommendations?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Found out Friday I am to work half days this week and none next week. I have WWE Network and Impact Plus. I've tried NJPW World and really didn't like how English subtitles were an after thought. Thinking of trying Highspots, Powerbomb.tv or another service out for the month. Might get back into MLW or NWA Powerrr if nothing interesting pops up. Any one got recommendations?

Highspots and IndependentWrestlingTV are both great and highly recommend, and of course there is so much stuff on YouTube as well.

• Like 2