DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

31 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Holy shit yes, so much this.  I took some journalism classes in college (mid 90s) and they never talked about real shit like asking softball questions/being easy on somebody to maintain access or "if it bleeds, it leads."  Were they just letting us keep our rose colored glasses on?  Of all the mass comm classes I took, only one professor was actually honest about the profession.  It was a screenwriting teacher who just said "look, if you want to do this shit for a living, move to LA.  Nothing is happening here.  You have to move."

The news just bugs the shit out of me.  I hate to say "fake news" because the stuff they report on IS real and did happen.  But they choose what to cover based on 1) how outlandish it is and 2) if they have footage of it.  I watch the DC news and you'd think the city is one step up from Mogadishu.  You literally need to stop yourself and say, "think about the thousands of parts of DC where nobody got shot yesterday.  They will never tell you about that."  It's so hard to watch this infotainment and stay sane.

I live in the DC metro area, and spend a pretty decent amount of time in DC and it's pretty safe.  There are parts that aren't safe, but nobody is really going to any of these places to hang out.  I've wandered my drunk ass around DC at all times of night, and never had an issue.  

I think the thing that made my college experience different than what people have stated above is that pretty much all of my journalism professors were adjuncts who were full time journalists.  These weren't professors who were trying to give us high hopes, these were people working day to day and warning us that this shit ain't sunshine and rainbows.

• Like 1

We're talking about journalistic ethics and resources, and nobody posted that Iiconics quote? WWE takes someone off telly and everyone forgets they exist.

Lots of wrestlers on twitter finding out their bookings have been cancelled and their immediate response is to start advertising Now Available On These Dates.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Lots of wrestlers on twitter finding out their bookings have been cancelled and their immediate response is to start advertising Now Available On These Dates.

If people are worried about large gatherings, then they must be look to get booked at a...

Spoiler

I do like how the video just cuts off, like someone decided "Nobody needs more than 2:17 of this garbage."

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Haha 1

Shazza McKenzie flew from Australia to the USA last night because her Mania week bookings started a few weeks early. Now she has no idea whether she'll be working very much or at all, or when she'll be able to return home.

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well clearly these people have never worked with Vince before

Putting such decisions on companies is wrong anyway. For one, you cannot expect companies to have medical, epidemical or whatever experts and two, companies have a tendency to do what is good for them (or for the stock prize) and less what is right for the common good.

Curious if Smackdown and Raw go as plans, hell I have tickets for raw but my coworker just had awful news that her daughter has a fever and shortness of breath and had to rush to pick her up from school. I have a small mma show out here Saturday too but I'm not sure being in huge crowds now is the right thing to do, Austin 3:16 day or not. 

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Curious if Smackdown and Raw go as plans, hell I have tickets for raw but my coworker just had awful news that her daughter has a fever and shortness of breath and had to rush to pick her up from school. I have a small mma show out here Saturday too but I'm not sure being in huge crowds now is the right thing to do, Austin 3:16 day or not. 

So do you know anyone who's gotten sick now?

• Like 1

God knows there's a lot of old stuff I could just delve into that's freely on YouTube to replace my AEW/MLW/NWA fix, but I hope the wrestlers who aren't making bank and are just working matches for hot dogs are okay financially. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

11 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I think this whole thing warrants it's own thread.

Delete this if it's all moved.

Trust me - if it wasn't for the fact that I am knee deep in it at both work and home right now, there would have been a bunch of threads in various places.

But honestly - it really is the only thing people are talking about.

Maybe when i can breathe

5 minutes ago, mystman said:

What's the rationale behind letting Vince decide to shut Wrestlemania down or not? Are they going to shut it down next week if he decides to go forward? What's the point of that? Either shut it down or don't.

I don't know if there is any truth to it or not but the theory going around is insurance reasons.

Like it's "better" if the government forces them as opposed to them electing to do it themselves.

(Kinda like for many with health insurance - if the doctor orders a test it can be completely covered but if you ask the doctor to do something it's "elective" and you have to pay. But insurance nonsense is a totally different topic)

6 minutes ago, mystman said:

What's the rationale behind letting Vince decide to shut Wrestlemania down or not? Are they going to shut it down next week if he decides to go forward? What's the point of that? Either shut it down or don't.

They’re allowing him room to make it look like he has control over the situation, but he’s him so it’s going to end badly.