DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Some of these indie companies should consider setting up a Patreon account or something similar at least for the immediate future to try to offset some of the losses they will probably experience over the next weeks (or god forbid months).

On a personal note, this is very not fun to be living through as a person with anxiety. My hands are raw from washing them, and every minor discomfort sets off alarm bells. I had heartburn last night and was convinced my chest was collapsing. I dropped off some supplies at my grandmother's house yesterday and can't stop thinking fuck, what if I'm a carrier and I killed her by tainting these paper towels? She's 88 years old, did I just sentence the person most important to me to death? Weird fucking times. Going to echo six stringer please everyone stay safe. If anything happens to me: gentlemen (and ladies!) it's been an honor marking out with you.

• Like 6

Mindful meditation and good hygiene will go a long way right now. It is incredibly unlikely anybody you know dies even if they do contract it but yeah, it's a good thing your grandmother is not going out much and that you're picking stuff up for her. I refuse  to use the term "social distancing". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Mindful meditation and good hygiene will go a long way right now. It is incredibly unlikely anybody you know dies even if they do contract it but yeah, it's a good thing your grandmother is not going out much and that you're picking stuff up for her. I refuse  to use the term "social distancing". 

Oh God same. It's so gross. It's like "conscious uncoupling." No ya dope, you got a divorce like a million other people. Whats so crazy about just saying "stay the hell away from each other!"?

18 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

On a personal note, this is very not fun to be living through as a person with anxiety. My hands are raw from washing them, and every minor discomfort sets off alarm bells. I had heartburn last night and was convinced my chest was collapsing. I dropped off some supplies at my grandmother's house yesterday and can't stop thinking fuck, what if I'm a carrier and I killed her by tainting these paper towels? She's 88 years old, did I just sentence the person most important to me to death? Weird fucking times. Going to echo six stringer please everyone stay safe. If anything happens to me: gentlemen (and ladies!) it's been an honor marking out with you.

I've read and listened to several interviews with virologists and it's honestly much more calming listening to them than if you're just hearing about it from a news report. The same line I've heard all of them say somehting to the effect of "be calm but concerned - not freak out". This interview with Angela Rasmussen is really good. https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/containment-failed-coronavirus-spreading-america-960309/

Here's another good interview with another virologist who explains what exactly a coranvirus is and how this is similar AND different from the flu: https://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2020/a-coronavirus-qa-with-a-virologist.php

The reality is many people already have it and don't know it. And as testing becomes more prevalent we'll see the numbers go up, but that doesn't necessarily mean things have gotten worse - it's just that it was already there and we didn't know it.

I'm not trying to say it's all fake news and we're all going to be fine, but I do think that if we as a public were more educated on what COVID-19 is and isn't, and get a reality check on our ability to contain it - we'd be significantly less panicked and prone to doing something foolish. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Oyaji said:

Like buying all of the fucking toilet paper, or better yet hoarding hand sanitizer when it's not even all that effective. 

Stores I’m going in don’t have baby wipes right now because there are people buying them and dousing them in rubbing alcohol to substitute for disinfectant wipes. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I've read and listened to several interviews with virologists and it's honestly much more calming listening to them than if you're just hearing about it from a news report. The same line I've heard all of them say somehting to the effect of "be calm but concerned - not freak out". This interview with Angela Rasmussen is really good. https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/containment-failed-coronavirus-spreading-america-960309/

Here's another good interview with another virologist who explains what exactly a coranvirus is and how this is similar AND different from the flu: https://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2020/a-coronavirus-qa-with-a-virologist.php

The reality is many people already have it and don't know it. And as testing becomes more prevalent we'll see the numbers go up, but that doesn't necessarily mean things have gotten worse - it's just that it was already there and we didn't know it.

I'm not trying to say it's all fake news and we're all going to be fine, but I do think that if we as a public were more educated on what COVID-19 is and isn't, and get a reality check on our ability to contain it - we'd be significantly less panicked and prone to doing something foolish. 

It's be nice if the Media and Government didn't spend the last 12ish years or more shredding every last bit of their credibility and thrived on people being uninformed...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Health issues are one thing, but another is how this will effect my job in the immediate future. It’s kinda scary that we are falling into a pandemic recession so fast.

Baby Brian has some pretty high end shittakes with all this.

As for the Market, they've been pouring gasoline on it for a while now, this was just an iginition source.  Any crisis was going to trigger this.

12 hours ago, AxB said:

If you want to create a Coronavirus conspiracy theory, don't aim so low. Aim high, like this: It's not a virus. It's germ warfare. It was invented by the CIA/KGB and unleashed by Putin and John Boulton in China as a way of destabilising the economy and compromising the power of President Xi (or possibly the real target is North Korea). The reason why there's already a test is because there's already a cure, developed alongside the virus itself and sitting on a shelf and ready to go when the algorithm says civilian deaths have reached optimum level. I made all of that up and none of it is true. But post it on Facebook and people will be all "I knew it!"

Oh shit, Pillman Jr. subscribed to @AxB‘s newsletter. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

RE: Smackdown

The WWE announced that they haven't cancelled Friday's show, however they have contingency plans in places if the government/local officials/etc... force them to.

Yesterday the Governor of Michigan(Smackdown is in Detroit) asked that events with 100 or more people be cancelled, hopefully the Gov. or Mayor of Detroit forces them to cancel. It makes no sense to put people at risk when the Performance Center is an option for doing tv.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

I seriously can't recommend that Rolling Stone article enough. This is basically everything my wife, all the nurses she manages, and all of our nurse friends have been saying. Everyone would do well to not panic and keep a cool head about this. It's far more likely you have a cold, think it's a cold, and then it passes like normal when you may have been dealing with novel coronavirus the whole time. The big risk is the contact you make with seniors and those with compromised immune systems. For example, my mom has had multiple near death experiences over the last couple years. I'm more concerned for her and people like her than any child, teenager, or anyone in their 20s to 50s. Hoarding bleach wipes, hand sanitizer, and toilet paper isn't going to help anyone that's most at risk.

I went to Meijer yesterday to just pickup some stuff to make brownies for my daughter's sleepover and I had to pick up some stuff for their breakfast. I decided to stroll past the TP and cleaning products aisle and I just shook my head at how empty all of the TP shelves were or how empty hand sanitizer or bleach wipes shelves were, but yet all regular soap, dish soap, bar soap, paper towels, surface cleaner, and more were in stock.

• Like 4