DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

The collective just posted that all of their Mania week shows are going to go down as planned unless they are forced to shut down. Good on them.  A decade or so ago my family went to Mexico. This was for 2 weeks, During our stay was when the Swine Flu supposedly hit.  The only US Station we had was a new channel  CNN I believe.  Well they kept showing the Playa Del Carmen/Cancun area which is where we staying. They were showing people wearing masks and making it seem like the streets were barren.  I can tell you that this was not the case. Nobody wore masks, nobody was sick, everything was fine.  Now the 2nd week we were there was different. The tourists didn't come in as they were afraid based off of US news.  The streets were empty but not due to sickness due to fear.   My whole family made it home safely and didn't see one sick person in the 2 weeks were there.  Now put this into perspective, our trip was in early April.  Right around tax return season.  What time of year is it now?  Tax return season.  Lets keep people from flying and keep them in their home country spending money here.  It also seems that these huge viruses always come around during election year.   Think about how many people are on here or are your facebook or twitter friends.  Does anyone you know happen to know anyone that contracted this or any other huge virus? Probably not.  Look at what fear and the media is doing not just here in the US but to the world.   It's pretty scary.

Yes? Because I live near Kirkland, where there's been a huge outbreak. I know someone who is in the hospital who tested positive.

Stop it with the weirdo SCIENCE IS A LIE AND ALSO THE MEDIA IS LYING AND THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION IS TOO stuff, goofy. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Now put this into perspective, our trip was in early April.  Right around tax return season.  What time of year is it now?  Tax return season.  Lets keep people from flying and keep them in their home country spending money here.  It also seems that these huge viruses always come around during election year.  

3-C8-BB110-F7-EF-405-F-A171-C7469-F11-B5

26 minutes ago, supremebve said:

When did every news story turn into a conspiracy?  I don't know when I first had this thought, but it is something I've noticed over the last few years.  Let's say the coronavirus is an international conspiracy where at least one country is completely and totally quarantined, how actually profits from this?  Are the Purel people that powerful?  The Charmin people?  Who makes those masks? Are they capable of getting the entire country of Italy to close itself off from the rest of the world based on a make believe disease?  I'm not saying everyone should panic, but saying people are crazy for not going to a wrestling show is way off base.  

All I know is my whole family was in Mexico at the exact spot that H1N1 was supposedly happening and nobody was effected, no masks, no empty streets, nothing.  Believe me or not but I am sure other US tourists can vouch for this.  Could this be entirely different? Sure, but I know what I saw from Mexico.  H1N1  right during Spring Break when people would flock to Cancun, right during Tax Season.   Had I not been in Mexico and seen it for myself I would have believed about the sick people and empty streets too. Again this may be entirely different but for the moment it feels like we are living in a giant episode of South Park  #cancel2020

11 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yes? Because I live near Kirkland, where there's been a huge outbreak. I know someone who is in the hospital who tested positive.

Stop it with the weirdo SCIENCE IS A LIE AND ALSO THE MEDIA IS LYING AND THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION IS TOO stuff, goofy. 

ok great,  but again, I was in Mexico and US media blew H1N1 out of proportion as they tend to do everything. Not making this political or blaming Science.  

4 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

All I know is my whole family was in Mexico at the exact spot that H1N1 was supposedly happening and nobody was effected, no masks, no empty streets, nothing.  Believe me or not but I am sure other US tourists can vouch for this.  Could this be entirely different? Sure, but I know what I saw from Mexico.  H1N1  right during Spring Break when people would flock to Cancun, right during Tax Season.   Had I not been in Mexico and seen it for myself I would have believed about the sick people and empty streets too. Again this may be entirely different but for the moment it feels like we are living in a giant episode of South Park  #cancel2020

My sister is living in Italy in one of the red zones and believe me, malls were already empty 2.5 weeks ago (my brother-in-law sent me some pictures that looked zombie-apocalypse-level). In Italy alone, there were 196 deaths today (well, the last 24 hours) even though they started shutting down public life two weeks ago.

It might be that media has a tendency to cry wolf (as this is how they get viewers, clicks etc.), but sometimes they are still right.

Edited by Robert s
  • Sad 1

This is a rabbit hole that will likely get the thread closed.

There are both plenty of reasons to panic and plenty of reasons not to trust the mainstream media. No one is crazy.

So let's get to the real question: Are we ever going to see AKI Man in an AEW ring?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Chancellor Merkel said that up to 60-70% of Germans could eventually be infected.

I was quite shocked when I read yesterday that Merkel was using that number as she might be one of the last persons to use inflated numbers or similar that might cause panic among the population. Especially as here there is nothing to gain except trying to tell the citizens that this is really serious.

Though I should mention that this number usually is used to indicate how many people will get infected within the next 2-3 years, not within the current epidemic (or pandemic, like the WHO now offically calls it).

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I just want to know how we can blame Britt Baker for this.  ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I had a similar experience around 7 years ago. We were on vacation in Yosemite when there was a forest fire in an area of the park away from the touristy area. (Yosemite is the size of Rhode Island) The news stations  and major networks were reporting around the clock and making it seem like Yosemite Valley was ablaze. Meanwhile, we're in the heart of where all of this is supposedly taking place and the day was no different than any other. It was surreal.  

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyJ said:

I had a similar experience around 7 years ago. We were on vacation in Yosemite when there was a forest fire in an area of the park away from the touristy area. (Yosemite is the size of Rhode Island) The news stations  and major networks were reporting around the clock and making it seem like Yosemite Valley was ablaze. Meanwhile, we're in the heart of where all of this is supposedly taking place and the day was no different than any other. It was surreal.  

It really is, and this was before smart phones and international calls were extremely expensive and everyone thought we were sick or worse.  Hell even now my parents in NY have news where it shows horrible storms in Virgina Beach. When they call to check on my brother he says it's sunny and fine.   It's mind bogging how bad the media really is. 

9 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

It really is, and this was before smart phones and international calls were extremely expensive and everyone thought we were sick or worse.  Hell even now my parents in NY have news where it shows horrible storms in Virgina Beach. When they call to check on my brother he says it's sunny and fine.   It's mind bogging how bad the media really is. 

You're really discounting the fact that more than one thing can be true at a time.  Yes, there was a huge fire in Yosemite, and you could go to parts of Yosemite and be fine.  You can go to Mexico and be OK, while other people have H1N1.  You can have a pretty severe storm in the tide water region of Virginia, and other parts of the same region could be bright and sunny.  I play in an adult kickball league and one day I was early and waiting at the field.  I started getting calls from a friend who works less than 10 minutes away asking whether or not the games had been cancelled.  I was confused, and asked him why they games would be cancelled, and he said, "because it's pouring down raining."  At his office it was raining cats and dogs, at the field it was fine, and it was maybe 3 miles away.  All of these things can be true at the same damn time.

• Like 4

Dear Tony Khan,

We promise not to tell anyone you started the Sleaze thread and are thus indirectly responsible for Ganc's sock puppet starting the Macho/ Steph story. However, if any of us ever meet John Laurinitis we're totally telling him it was you who showed us the picture of him making out with Tom Zenk.

Yours Sincerely, the DVDVR board.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Found the link. It's the actual sleaze thread.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050308041405/http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=19896&view=all

You know, even though I was here long before that, I'm not sure I actually posted in the thread itself. I know I was offline for about six months in late 2004/early 2005 when my computer broke and I couldn't afford a new one.

Re-reading this is just....yeah. I'm glad the board was nuked, and a lot of other posters should be as well. I know we were all younger then and it was "a different time" but it's still not fun to look back at. I'm glad we, as a board and as people, have changed. For all the little stuff that happens on here, I like the little family/friend circle we have going here.

To steer back to wrestling, I'm watching the Ruthless Aggression doc on the Network. In one of the Halloween party segments Cena says he's like light beer cuz he tastes great and is "less filling." What an odd boast, assuming he means it to be a sexual one (and since it's said to Stephanie, I feel like it has to be.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You better be knocking on several inches of wood while you type that.

Biggest piece of wood you've ever seen dingleberry! /favclerksquote

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If WWE or AEW has to do empty arena shows because of coronavirus, there better be at least one episode where they have the entire roster be the audience like a Dojo show and everyone just issues open challenges and call out opponents in front of the entire roster.

And I'm not going to lie, part of me wants Wrestlemania to happen as planned if only for the entertainment value of how obnoxiously self-congratulatory WWE will be if it happens while other events are dark or empty arena. That will be some "Cartman in the lawn chair eating popcorn" level entertainment.

• Like 1