DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

The city of Miami just cancelled the Ultra Music Festival. Shit is getting mad real.

You know it’s serious now boys! 

But seriously, it’s only going to hurt international travel, which was the source of profit for Ultra. WrestleMania might get hurt this year by that if it continues into April. But I have a feeling this will be out of the news cycle soon, unless this causes the death of 20+ people from here to April.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Someone brought up how Matt Hardy is comparable to Jericho is his ability to reinvent himself and just how WWE is losing out on him as an agent or in creative. Even during the Attitude era it was well known how much of a mind he had for wrestling. You'd think he'd be the Eddie Graham or Patterson of this era as far as laying out matches.

I could see him being like Mart Scurl and working with 2-3 different promotions that aren't closely affiliated with eachother.

If he signs with AEW he'll surely be the top agent/coach on top of getting a prominent role in ring. I could even see them using OMEGA as developmental for AEW.

WWE has their favorites, I dont even think he'd have as much of a voice even as the production side of WWE more than others even though he'd probably be the most suitable. 

...Controversial post alert...

In the Saudi thread there was a lot of grief for Goldberg's Jackhammer to Bray. Also the bad one Undertaker took last year.

Both were not Goldberg's fault. Taker & Bray both didn't post AT ALL. When you go up for a vertical suplex you're supposed to post on your opponent's hip and make your arm stiff as a board to support some of your own weight. Watch both of those Jackhammers. Both guys go to post low down on Goldberg's leg, near his knee, and keep their arms bent. Thus not supporting any of their own weight. Almost like they were taking a normal suplex instead of a vertical suplex.

Every one Dolph took at Summerslam looked fine. Because he posted. And 53 year old Goldberg just isn't strong enough to muscle 300 pound dudes who don't help him. In Taker's case Goldberg wasn't expecting that to happen and made a poor decision to spike him straight down. With Bray it's almost like he expected it, because he was already twisting into the slam right away. There's a lot of stuff you can dog on Goldberg for but those two bad Jackhammers specifically, he's getting a lot of shit for when it wasn't his fault.

...Controversial post concluded...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

...Controversial post alert...

In the Saudi thread there was a lot of grief for Goldberg's Jackhammer to Bray. Also the bad one Undertaker took last year.

Both were not Goldberg's fault. Taker & Bray both didn't post AT ALL. When you go up for a vertical suplex you're supposed to post on your opponent's hip and make your arm stiff as a board to support some of your own weight. Watch both of those Jackhammers. Both guys go to post low down on Goldberg's leg, near his knee, and keep their arms bent. Thus not supporting any of their own weight. Almost like they were taking a normal suplex instead of a vertical suplex.

Every one Dolph took at Summerslam looked fine. Because he posted. And 53 year old Goldberg just isn't strong enough to muscle 300 pound dudes who don't help him. In Taker's case Goldberg wasn't expecting that to happen and made a poor decision to spike him straight down. With Bray it's almost like he expected it, because he was already twisting into the slam right away. There's a lot of stuff you can dog on Goldberg for but those two bad Jackhammers specifically, he's getting a lot of shit for when it wasn't his fault.

...Controversial post concluded...

Ever see when the Bushwhacker posted off of Jacques Rougeau’s dick at Wrestlemania 5?

• Haha 2

I doubt Taker is even able to post properly at this point.

Bray probably never learned. Do they still teach a vertical suplex at the Canadian Destroyer Flip School that every wrestler trains at now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Ever see when the Bushwhacker posted off of Jacques Rougeau’s dick at Wrestlemania 5?

Dammit, it’s too late, but I was going to say just that. 

Edit: Although that’s on a bodyslam spot.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1

You know who I'm shocked never got a WWE agent job to just lay out matches? DDP. I mean, the guy seems like Vince's perfect producer. Used to write up detailed move for move layouts for his matches and give them to opponents, and it almost always worked in his heyday. I guess maybe the yoga business was too successful to give up, but I would've at least kept him under contract to help with the really big matches a few times a year or something.

• Like 1

For a company that was so gung-ho about scripting every fucking line. You’d think they’d go the Savage/DDP route laying things out through scripts. Wasn’t All Japan laying out matches in the back too? That’s why it never looked like anyone was calling spots.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

You know who I'm shocked never got a WWE agent job to just lay out matches? DDP. I mean, the guy seems like Vince's perfect producer. Used to write up detailed move for move layouts for his matches and give them to opponents, and it almost always worked in his heyday.

I thought the story went that when DDP came into WWF and showed Vince and Taker his detailed match layouts they mocked him for being amateurish and not calling in the ring...

31 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

As I understand it, the agents lay out matches move for move now, at least for the undercard guys.

Honestly, this seems like one of the first times in WWE/WWF history when almost everyone is a more than capable worker.  I'd trust the vast majority of the roster to be able to put together a quality television match without much micromanagement.  I was talking to a friend one day and we were trying to figure out who is the worst in ring worker on the main roster right now, and I think it ended up being Eric Rowan or Jinder Mahal.  So take those two out, and ask yourself who isn't capable of having a 10 minute TV match without laying out the entire match beforehand?  Baron Corbin?  Titus O'Neil?  Anyhone else?  

• Like 1

Just learned my local indy,Bayou Independent Wrestling,has booked Damien Wayne!!! and Kincaid for their July show in my town. So after hearing about and seeing clips of Wayne here on DVDVR for what feels like 20 years I will get to see him in person.

10 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

With Bray it's almost like he expected it, because he was already twisting into the slam right away.

It could be that Bray's a sandbagger and warned him ahead of time, or didn't. Soon as I saw it I thought "Bray must be a sandbagger" anyway. 

I don't think anybody here or elsewhere can complain about Goldberg not getting the job done on those two guys with his age and their size, and especially if they didn't 'post' as you say. It just isn't fair.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I didn't see a single controversial thing here. Tease. 

I 100% agree, matter of fact I don't know if there are two buys I'd hate to have to vertical suplex than The Undertaker and Bray Wyatt regardless if they post.  The Undertaker is probably to broken down to help much, and is also incredibly tall which fucks up the leverage.  Good luck getting your center of gravity below someone built like Bray Wyatt.  That dude is built not to be lifted off the ground.  Goldberg being able to lift either of them at 53 should be looked at as a huge accomplishment. 

With that said, Goldberg hitting jackhammers on dudes like The Giant and Ron Reis back in the day was about as fucking impressive as any feats of strength in wrestling history.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It could be that Bray's a sandbagger and warned him ahead of time, or didn't. Soon as I saw it I thought "Bray must be a sandbagger" anyway. 

I don't think anybody here or elsewhere can complain about Goldberg not getting the job done on those two guys with his age and their size, and especially if they didn't 'post' as you say. It just isn't fair.

I don't think anyone could complain,

But plenty of people here did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, this seems like one of the first times in WWE/WWF history when almost everyone is a more than capable worker.  I'd trust the vast majority of the roster to be able to put together a quality television match without much micromanagement.  I was talking to a friend one day and we were trying to figure out who is the worst in ring worker on the main roster right now, and I think it ended up being Eric Rowan or Jinder Mahal.  So take those two out, and ask yourself who isn't capable of having a 10 minute TV match without laying out the entire match beforehand?  Baron Corbin?  Titus O'Neil?  Anyhone else?  

Rowan just had two fairly good matches with Black last month. He is more capable than quite a few other guys in WWE. 

It's been ages since I've seen Mojo Rawley. How's his or Riddick Moss' work? I'm not sure I want to see either go for ten minutes. And Titus is what he is: High-quality person , but he's clumsy and doesn't have a lot to offer in the ring. 

Baron Corbin has received some of the stalest booking ever known to man, but I've at least seen enough of his work to expect him to turn in quality performances. He really doesn't belong in these conversations. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Rowan just had two fairly good matches with Black last month. He is more capable than quite a few other guys in WWE. 

Quite a few?  I don't think Rowan is bad, but he's among the worst on that super stacked roster.  The point I didn't make well enough in my post is that if guys like Eric Rowan are on the bottom tier of your in-rin performers, you probably shouldn't be micro managing their work.  The roster is full of guys who can flat out go in the ring, that isn't their issue.  It's the last thing they should micromanage.

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's been ages since I've seen Mojo Rawley. How's his or Riddick Moss' work? I'm not sure I want to see either go for ten minutes. And Titus is what he is: High-quality person , but he's clumsy and doesn't have a lot to offer in the ring. 

Rawley is probably the answer, I haven't seen anything from him that made me think he'd ever be anything more than a job guy.  Titus O'Neil was on a National Championship winning Florida team when Florida was one of the best programs in the country.  He's clearly a great athlete, but you'd never know if you watched him wrestle.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Quite a few?  I don't think Rowan is bad, but he's among the worst on that super stacked roster. 

I just think calling him among the worst is just a tad much. I would say he is at least 1-2 tiers above the worst. He is decently better than guys like Bo, Titus, Curtis, the Singh Brothers, Mojo, Moss, etc.

Edited by Eivion

Just now, Eivion said:

I just think calling him among the worst is just a tad much. I would say he is at least 1-2 tiers above the worst. He is decently better than guys like Bo, Titus, Curtis, the Singh Brothers, Mojo, Moss, etc.

Ok, for what it's worth I didn't include job guys in my original post, because those guys are kind of there because they're limited.  I was looking at the roster, and thought about adding Curt Hawkins and then decided that he didn't count.  I'd watch 39043980938i493 Erick Rowan matches before I watched The Singh Brothers or Curtis Axel, but that's not really what we're talking about.  Erick Rowan is a perfectly fine wrestler who you can trust to be on television for 10 minutes without embarrassing himself if you don't script out every spot for him.  I don't think he's very good, but the kind of micromanaging we're talking about seems like overkill for a roster full of guys who at the very least are competent.  For the record, I think Riddick Moss is probably better than you're giving him credit for being.  He's not the next Daniel Bryan, but that's a really big, really athletic guy who just happens to have the charisma of a block of cheese.  I'm not talking about parmigiano reggiano or something like that, I'm talking about American cheese that probably has to legally be called "cheese like product."  

• Like 1