DVDVR Message Board

I'm Next - SDL - 2/28/2020

Dolfan in NYC

When you look at alot of Reigns WM history he's been booked against alot of past their prime vets from Hunter to Taker and even the damn New Age Outlaws. Its really crazy to think about given he The Guy currently. I'm actually more excited to see He and Goldberg than those other matches he had going in to both the Hunter and Taker match. They sorta teased it a few years back, Roman is one of the few guys I think can have a good match with Goldberg but if Goldberg shits the bed it will be unfortunate for Roman. If he can pull of a Rock vs Hogan WM I'd be happy.

Goldberg/Roman got the reaction i expected. Kind of annoyed they skipped any pretense or build and are just goign straight into it. Roman should have to earn his title shot at WM like they normally do. 

Giving the Chamber match to the tag division feels random. Not super fond of it with only around four teams really feuding at the moment.

Usos vs. Miz & Morrison was nice. Dug Kofi/Roode.

Naomi/Lacey vs. Sasaha/Bayley was fun.

I'm digging Gulak building up jobbers to take on Bryan. I'm curious if thy actually get a match at WM or if this just something to kill time for Bryan until then. I just hope the eventual match gets some decent time.

The end with Cena and the Fiend was good. I like the idea of Cena trying to bow out gracefully and not steal a full timer's chance only for the Fiend to show up and basically demand the match. The reaction that ending got was massive. It definitely feels like the biggest match heading into Mania this year.

Edited by Eivion

That’s pretty much it for The Fiend as a major character. He doesn’t even care that Goldberg made him look like a chump and took his title. 

The Fiend respectfully challenges Cena to a Wrestlemania match undertaker style. Why would the Fiend goad Cena to a match that way?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Goldberg/Roman got the reaction i expected. Kind of annoyed they skipped any pretense or build and are just goign straight into it. Roman should have to earn his title shot at WM like they normally do.

This is an honest question - why on earth would you be annoyed that a company notorious for terrible booking and storylines would just jump right into Roman and Goldberg like everyone said would happen? I'd be shocked beyond shocked if that didn't happen. And Roman should have to earn his title shot at WM like he normally does? I mean, he's the only one aside from Goldberg who looks like he wins more than he loses so he's kinda already earned a title shot.

Just now, Overly Critical Man said:

That crowd reaction at the end for the Cena/Fiend kind of proves that wins and losses really don’t matter for WM
and people just want to see cool match ups. 

Speaking of cool match ups...let’s get Gulak vs Bryan on a ppv. 

Nothing matters in WWE at this point. It doesn't even matter to The Fiend that Goldberg made him look like a geek as Bryan Alvarez would say.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

This is an honest question - why on earth would you be annoyed that a company notorious for terrible booking and storylines would just jump right into Roman and Goldberg like everyone said would happen? I'd be shocked beyond shocked if that didn't happen. And Roman should have to earn his title shot at WM like he normally does? I mean, he's the only one aside from Goldberg who looks like he wins more than he loses so he's kinda already earned a title shot.

Because Wrestlemania is the biggest show of the year and people usually have had to earn their title shots for it. Beyond that I'm not sure they can really keep any sort of interesting build going just between Reigns and Goldberg unless they actually let one go heel and be a complete asshole on the mic. 

How many wins does Roman actually have? Doesn't actually feel like he built any sort of strong record the past six months, especially with so much of that being spent wrestling Corbin and co.

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

That crowd reaction at the end for the Cena/Fiend kind of proves that wins and losses really don’t matter for WM
and people just want to see cool match ups. 

Speaking of cool match ups...let’s get Gulak vs Bryan on a ppv. 

Yeah. Had nothing to do at all with Cena being in his hometown.

These "everything is fine and you guys are dumb"  posts are not even worth replying to.  This company is losing viewers,  losing attendance and losing subscribers to their network but somehow everything is fine...   okay....  

Didn't they advertise a Roman Reigns led field of dudes for an Elimination Chamber Match?  I'm glad that's not happening now,  might as well just get to it with Goldberg.  It's ridiculously dumb to have the Shayna chamber match too..  I wish they'd ax that one as well. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

These "everything is fine and you guys are dumb"  posts are not even worth replying to.  This company is losing viewers,  losing attendance and losing subscribers to their network but somehow everything is fine...   okay....  

Its not a case of everything is fine so much as the sky isn't quite falling as much as some have a bad tendency to pretend/want. We have someone talking about the Fiend more or less being dead as a name when his challenge to Cena tonight got the massive cheers from the entire audience. That same thing happened when Rollins beat the Fiend last year only for the Fiend to continue to be a solid success . There is plenty wrong, but not every decision people dislike is the end of the world.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its not a case of everything is fine so much as the sky isn't quite falling as much as some have a bad tendency to pretend/want. We have someone talking about the Fiend more or less being dead as a name when his challenge to Cena tonight got the massive cheers from the entire audience. That same thing happened when Rollins beat the Fiend last year only for the Fiend to continue to be a solid success . There is plenty wrong, but not every decision people dislike is the end of the world.

This is the 8th year in a row WWE has relied on a part timer in the main event at WrestleMania.   That well is running dry and then what...   

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This is the 8th year in a row WWE has relied on a part timer in the main event at WrestleMania.   That well is running dry and then what...   

I presume it'll just be different part-timers.  As Orton, Styles, Bryan, Reigns et al. age out, they will become the part-timers who come in for WM taking matches with presumed main-eventers likes Rollins, Strowman, MacIntyre, Ricochet etc.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, caley said:

I presume it'll just be different part-timers.  As Orton, Styles, Bryan, Reigns et al. age out, they will become the part-timers who come in for WM taking matches with presumed main-eventers likes Rollins, Strowman, MacIntyre, Ricochet etc.

But those guys aren't stars like Goldberg or Undertaker were.  Not even close. Say what you want about those old timers but they were actual stars. 

Tuned in for the Goldberg Era. Overall doesn't feel like much has changed since I gave up on SD in October, outside of the Goldberg & Cena excitement. Not bad just kinda boring stuff in the middle. I did enjoy Roode's antics in getting Big E ejected and the Usos super Canadian Destroyer, that was solid. Bray doing the WM sign point was kinda corny and Cena going from I'm out this year to nvm that quick. I wish they could redo the Cena/Umaga LMS finish for it. I'm here for as long as Goldberg's on top

• Like 1

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

But those guys aren't stars like Goldberg or Undertaker were.  Not even close. Say what you want about those old timers but they were actual stars. 

Eh, when guys in their late teens/early 20s get older, they'll be just as jacked to see Bryan match up against the younger guys  as guys who were in their late teens/early 20s when Goldberg was big are jacked to see him against guys he's never faced like Fiend/Reigns. 

It maybe won't move the needle as much, but WWE has been bringing in part-timers to face younger wrestlers for 18 years now (Hogan vs Rock was the first big "old wrestlers comes back to face guy in his prime deal and WWE has done it semi-regularly ever since:
2003: Hogan-McMahon
2004: Evolution-Rock and Sock
2005: Akebono vs Big Show
2006: Micheals vs McMahon
2007: No part-timers wrestling but one match was built around Donald Trump, clearly not a WWE regular
2008: Floyd Mayweather vs Big Show
2009: Jericho vs Snuka, Steamboat and Piper
2010: Bret Hart vs McMahon
2011: Cole vs Lawler, as well as a match with Snooki and Trish Stratus
2012: The Rock vs Cena; elsewhere Maria Menunous wrestled a match
2013: Cena-Rock II; also a semi-retired Triple H vs part-time Lesnar
2014: Bryan-Orton-Batista (the latter being brought back in for the show
2015: Triple H vs Sting
2016: Reigns-Triple H (part-timer), Rock-Rowan, Usos-Dudleyz, UT-Shane
2017: Cena/Nikki-Miz/Maryse, Lesnar-Goldberg
2018: Angle/Rousey-HHH/Steph, UT-Cena
2019: HHH-Batista, Angle-Corbin

So it's clearly a formula that they've been using for a while.  As the older older guys age out (Vince, Hogan, Foley, Hart, to an extent Rock), they just switch up the part-timers (HHH, Cena, Goldberg).  I don't see any reason to believe that in 3-5 years it won't be the same formula, with guys like Reigns, Styles, maybe even Jericho brought in for "fresh" match-ups/dream matches.  I mean, you wouldn't think going from Mick Foley out of retirement for a match to Triple H out of part-time for a match would be the same kind of draw, but the shows continue to do massive business, so I guess it's still working.

• Thanks 1

'Massive business' is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. WWE has been a slow puncture for the last 20 years. The guys that are part-timers now didn't really have part-timers outshadowing them (possible exception: Jericho, who would go to great pains to point out he wasn't a part-timer because he was full-time whenever he was there).

WWE has been saved by a few things:

- global expansion

- wider mainstream acceptance because internet culture and PG-13 shift (The Rock's global success probably helps)

- John Cena, not that he's a Austin/Hogan/Rock but nonetheless a franchise star they could build around and rely upon for over a decade. They haven't been able to create anyone similar.

- no real competition