DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

In case you were wondering what the fuss about Playboy Buddy Rose is, watch this match.  Teeny Brett Sawyer is made to look like Vader in the first fall, and then Rose goes on offense and HE looks like Vader.  Sawyer sells his back to the point that it seems like the finish isn't ever in question,  but they throw enough shit at this match to muddy the water.

Pat O'Connor is a SUPER Wrestling Machine.  Ivan Rasputin is a wrestling machine.  I love the armbar where Rasputin wrenches O'Connor's fingers apart.  Rasputin is so great at cheating.  It allows O'Connor to punch him dead in the face with impunity.

On 5/13/2020 at 11:32 PM, LP Steve said:

Had a murder taken place in the ring prior to the Gagne-Bockwinkel match?

Is this a legit question? Because I think it was asked at the old board and turned into a running gag lol! Maybe when it came out on DVD or something.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, LP Steve said:

It was intended to be tongue in cheek, but my God that mat was a mess. I'd really be interested in knowing who was involved in that bloodbath.

Here's the card:

Singles Match

Spike Huber defeats Doug Gilbert (10:29)

Singles Match

King Kong Brody defeats Juan Valez (4:14)

Tag Team Match

Genichiro Tenryu & Jumbo Tsuruta defeat Mad Man Mitchell & Roger Kirby (12:34)

PWF Heavyweight Title Best Two Out Of Three Falls Match

Giant Baba defeats Abdullah The Butcher (c) [2:1] (19:09) - TITLE CHANGE !!!

- Giant Baba besiegt Abdullah The Butcher (8:52)
- Abdullah The Butcher besiegt Giant Baba (11:58)
- Abdullah The Butcher wird ausgezählt (19:09)

Singles Match

Ernie Ladd defeats Bobo Brazil by DQ

AWA World Tag Team Title Match

Pat Patterson & Ray Stevens (c) defeat Dick The Bruiser & Pepper Gomez (14:29)

AWA World Heavyweight Title Match

Verne Gagne defeats Nick Bockwinkel (w/Bobby Heenan) (c) by DQ (18:26)

So I'm guessing Giant Baba and Abdullah the Butcher are splattered all over the mat.

Usually you watch the Greg Valentine match for Valentine to lay it in.  HERE, Valentine takes it to the mat with Bob Bachlund and does 30 minutes of 1970's scientific wrestling.  What an awesomely offbeat match.

23 hours ago, LP Steve said:

It was intended to be tongue in cheek, but my God that mat was a mess. I'd really be interested in knowing who was involved in that bloodbath.

Yeah I got that much, but I wasn’t even sure if you were actually asking about the match. There was a gag that went something like this on the old board I’m sure. Sort of the equivalent of people asking WHAT back in the day lol!

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 6:10 PM, DEAN said:

In case you were wondering what the fuss about Playboy Buddy Rose is, watch this match.  Teeny Brett Sawyer is made to look like Vader in the first fall, and then Rose goes on offense and HE looks like Vader.  Sawyer sells his back to the point that it seems like the finish isn't ever in question,  but they throw enough shit at this match to muddy the water.

Playboy Buddy Rose was a wrestling machine during his time in Portland/Seattle. Even after his weight got out of control he was such a smart worker that he could still deliver **** matches with a wide variety of opponents. People that just recall his buffoonery with the "blow away diet" and similar nonsense are missing out. Prime Buddy Rose was one of the best workers I've ever seen and that covers a lot of ground. When you can make the likes of Billy Jack Haynes and Rip Oliver look like superstars you're not only a great wrestler, you're one of the best ever.

• Like 2

I've said it before, but the main benefit we have with Buddy vs contemporaries (I'm talking pre-1986 here, when territories were territories) is that we can see how he handled various opponents and situations and anchored a town week in and week out over the span of a few years. We're missing very few of those Saturday night shows from 79-81 or so. 

We can't see Flair like that. We can't see Race like that. We can't see Bockwinkel like that. We can kind of see Lawler like that, but it's much more scattered. If someone put together ALL of the Houston footage, we could sort of see Gino like that, maybe, but not really.

The true genius of Buddy that we can WITNESS (unlike almost every single one of his contemporaries) was how he was able to keep things different and engaging and entertaining week after week, opponent after opponent, in front of the same crowd. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

This is your basic Funk Takes Over match, except with fucking BUCKETS of blood.  Dory is awesome in this as bastard brother on the outside of the ring.  It goes super 80s by the end and that means it becomes super-awesome.

• Thanks 1

This is the first time I've ever really watched an Édouard Carpentier match.  He is a machine.  He is very acrobatic.  This is a LOT of scientific wrestling, but it is WORKRATE scientific wrestling so it's not your average boring 1950s match in that something is always happening.  This is from 1957.  Carpentier sells the sleeper like a champ.  Third fall is awesome because they scrap the sweet science and go all Memphis.

• Like 1

That's the one thing the '50s Chicago archive really impressed me with, was how busy so many of the top guys kept in their match. Not a tonne of working a hold for 5+ minutes. 

Probably motivated to make an impression to a national audience, I would imagine.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

1957? Something in the water that year, ask @Matt D. Right around the world. Rikidozan was wrestling Lou Thesz in 1957.  And also this:

I messed up. It's German Wrestling, filmed by a British crew.

• Like 1