DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

I put this JIP Kimura/Fujinami vs Fujiwara/Kido match as unlisted for Curt. It might be the final straw for my NJPW burner account (fun fact, if you want to upload things to youtube to watch on your phone, you can just leave them as "drafts" and they won't get dinged), but I can't convert it back to a draft, so watch it while you can. It's only 8 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX2BCON4sHg

(no idea why it's not embedding).

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Watching a bunch of '86 AJW cause why not? This is a scintillating Lioness Asuka vs. Devil Masami match, you already know it rules, you already know the crowd is soprano lava. The match starts with a Giant Swing that I can only describe as *stiff*? Masami's heel charisma and facials are all-time great, the bridge-out nearfalls are purposeful and plentiful, the piledrivers are reprehensible, and I don't know if any company ever did post-match standoff drama better than 80's ZenJo.

re: that Bockwinkel/Morton match - the MVP has got to be the little brother sitting right next to the crowd mic.

In my estimation, Lionness Asuka is the greatest wrestler to ever lace them up.

I'm not going back 27 pages to see if someone else posted it. Fuck, there is a good chance if someone did it very well possible it was me! 

Still, my love for both Murdoch and Gordy is endless so if you put them in the ring together...

James

• Like 1

This guy is posting more 1982, Houston, Nick Bockwinkle.  Here, he is against JYD, who was the World's Best Lex Luger for a few years.  The GREATEST punch ever at 15:20.  Yeah, Bockwinkle was pretty great.

• Like 2

YouTube has moved on from Nick Bockwinkle and is now sending Dick Slater matches to my feed.  Here, from Houston, in 1982, versus Ted DiBiase.

• Like 1

This showed up in my feed today.  From 1976 (I'm assuming), it's Jumbo Tsuruta vs Billy Robinson.  This is some pro wrestling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Samoa Joe vs Bryan Danielson. Now both AEW bound. Two of my favorites in a company that I am enjoying the most currently. Two workers instrumental in bringing back my love of pro wrestling. Ones that helped me on my laying on a couch and watching wrestling journey.
My journey, you ask? Well….

The Rock, Mankind, and Shamrock. Three wrestlers I’d pretend to be while spazzing out or being silly. Eight-year old Octopus loved the zaniness of the Attitude Era, especially these three wrestlers. The Rock was a cool Jim Carey with all of his face work, Mankind was insane, and Shamrock was tough and would yell. 

Long story short, I tried to do a backflip and knocked myself out. Mom banned wrestling from the house. Little did she know I was watching gymnastics. Needless to say, my brothers and I kept sneak watching it and would occasionally get caught. It lead to a hiatus.

Uh oh, scrolling the channels at grandma’s house. What’s this?

An interesting feud between interesting people. It was a segment on Smackdown involving the tag hijinks of Tajiri, Eddie, Benoit, and Rhyno. Low and behold, they don’t like each other. I’m a 13 year old man now. Ma, I’m watching wrestling.

This lead to me and my neighborhood friend, Bobby, spending all our time playing Here Cones the Pain and watching as many wrestling dvd’s we could get our hands on. We even started joining wrestling forums. 

The coming years we got more of the neighbor kids to watch with us. A group watch became fun. But sadly, we became snarky. I was admittedly becoming jaded at the time with WWE. Honestly, stuff I can look back on now and smile, but a teen Octopus needed something different. Thankfully, I stumbled on this:

Low Ki vs KENTA. It blew my mind. They were kicking each other in the chest. That bald ninja just jumped on that poor man. THAT DUDE KNEED THAT DUDE IN THE HEAD. Good stuff. I needed more to quench my thirst. 

This lead to a rabbit hole of more. Through KENTA I learned about more Japanese wrestling like NOAH and through Low Ki I learned of the American Independents at the time.

I loved me some CHIKARA and their fun use of characters and storytelling. But this was special because I was seeing it live. Minnesota had a cool promotion that was bringing in wrestlers I loved! Special place in my heart for F1rst Wrestling.

Well, I hit a dark point in my life, with less wrestling. Figuring things out. Unaddressed anxiety issues and self loathing. Maybe too much drinking?

Problems addressed. I meet my now wife. We date. We fall in love. She watches an episode of Total Divas. I cry. 

WRESTLING OBSESSION IS BACK.

I join this place. Friends made, new favorite wrestlers enjoyed.

Good conversations had on life, derp, and wrestling. 

• Like 4

Oh man!  Nick Bockwinkle versus Tito Santana, 2/3 falls, 1981 in Houston.  Nick Bockwinkle- great punches.  Tito Santana- GREATEST punches.

• Thanks 2

Awesome!  Leilani Kai and Jumbo Hori have the 80est hair of the entire 80s.  They look like the drummer and bass player for Vixen.  Kai was soooo good.

• Like 1

This just showed up on YouTube.  So many wrestling machines (and the lesser Solar) in one match.  1997 is peak CMLL.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:06 PM, DEAN said:

Awesome!  Leilani Kai and Jumbo Hori have the 80est hair of the entire 80s.  They look like the drummer and bass player for Vixen.  Kai was soooo good.

AAHV'E BIN LIVIN' ON THE EDGE OF UH BROKEN HAHRT

Leilani Kai RULES. I'm also a big fan of Judy Martin. 

• Like 2

The Crusher and the Sheikh in 1954, when both had to actually wrestle, versus the proto-Andre the Giant, 6'8" Ski Hi Lee.  And some other dude.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dick Murdoch vs Paul Jones, Florida, 1973!  Gordon Solie on commentary.  Paul Jones throw better punches than Dick Murdoch.

• 2 weeks later...

We covered this yesterday and it feels like the natural evolution of the 50s Catch stylist vs stylist mat wars/slugfests.

I wouldn't call this a concern of mine, necessarily, as that's too strong a word, but there's going to be a tendency for people to understand the French Catch style/footage from Catanzaro vs Cesca, the trampoline match, and some of the quick rope running gifs alone, and that's not to say that there aren't elements of all of those that are remarkable, but there's a lot of diversity in the footage, even in, let's say a tag where the heels are Bibi/Bernaert or where they are Les Blousons Noirs or where they are the Peruvians/Spaniards or where they are the Teddy Boys or where they are a couple of juniors like Noced/Richard. A 50s tag with Hayes and Hunter as your stylists will be quite different from a 70s one with Ben Chemoul and Bordes.

So you get all of that and then you get this, which is one of the grittiest hard-nosed, hard-hitting matches you'll see.

• Thanks 1