DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

Oh man, I love Pat O'Conner.  The Mighty Atlas was the 50s version of Rick Rude.  O'Conner is all about filling the match up with stuff and Atlas responds by bumping like a freak in the third fall. Just stellar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had to look up the Mighty Atlas and apparently he was a Russian Jewish strongman from Brooklyn who could lift an anvil with his teeth while somebody hit it with a sledgehammer. Awesome.

Gotta love the smartass announcer in this one with his old-timey lingo. "Oh my achin' back mother, hand me down the mustard pot"?

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen anyone get heat for taking a rope break out of a hold before. The 50's were ice cold.

I haven't seen much of Pat O'Connor but we're agreed there's no way Antonio Inoki didn't have some bizarre secret film stash of him, right?  O'Connor's smaller and can as a result fly around a lot more, but other than that the way they move in the ring is uncannily similar.

The funny thing about all this great Pat O Connor Chicago footage is the fact that initially the promoter wanted O'Connor to pay him $10,000 to wrestle at those shows while also being paid less than the NWA champion usually earned. O'Connor was so angry at the suggestion that he walked out of their meeting and later told Sam Muchnick not to book him there. 

EEEEEvil Lou Thesz is the funnest Lou Thesz.  Édouard Carpentier is his gymnastic victim.

EDIT:  Please notice that Lou Thesz invented High Angle Dangerous Suplexes in the second fall of this match in 1957.

STRONG STYLE RICK MARTEL!  Sometimes one forgets how good Rick Martel was.  Here he is trading blows with Riki Choshyu and holding his own, in what is basically a New Japan heavyweight match from 1995 from 1986.

• Like 2

Larry Zbysko, wrestling machine, brings out Baron Von Raschke's inner wrestling machine after nine minutes of stalling.

Rick Martel coming to the ring to this just made my night

Now I'm imagining him coming out to Miami Sound Machine. 

Riki actually looking flustered at the pace Rick was cutting was something different too. There weren't too many people that could keep up with him back then. 

• Like 1

Hans Schmidt is such stiff-working dick heel.  I love him between falls staring at the turnbuckle like a German weirdo (from Canada).  Second fall, Vern goes all crazy with the rough tactics to make up for dropping the first fall.

• Like 1

I've only read about the horrible lives of Penny Banner and Judy Byers, but here they are wrestling in the ring.  They are both wrestling machines.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 7:55 PM, DEAN said:

Hans Schmidt is such stiff-working dick heel.  I love him between falls staring at the turnbuckle like a German weirdo (from Canada).  Second fall, Vern goes all crazy with the rough tactics to make up for dropping the first fall.

This was fun, wild to see what would get you in trouble with the ref in the old days lol.

I looked up Schmidt and THE INTERNET tells me he had big matches with Billy Watson, youtube didn't turn up much but it did lead me directly to this:

Fritz is great in this, a one man show really just being an absolute giant turd the whole time. Then all hell breaks loose at the end. Not really much wrestling here but this is fun.

• Like 1

Sherri Martel and Rockin Robin have a late 80s match which has a AJW-level workrate.  Martel throws the greatest punch in the history of women's wrestling at 10:05.

• Like 1

Oh man, Patterson and Stevens are awesome.  Billy Robinson does a great rolling armbar.  Patterson and Stevens are great post-match.  I wish more Patterson footage was available.

• Like 2

Honestly I've barely seen Patterson work off of this forum but I've yet to see him not hold up his end of a match.

Billy Robinson is just fucking awesome. This is probably the first time I've seen him work a fast paced fight, always see him in long wrestling epics which he rules at. That neckbreaker looks like death.

Hans Schmidt is awesome.  Note that at the 7:45 mark, Thesz almost procures the STF.  I'm wondering if is was the first time they ever did this finish.