DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

Harley Saito leans into a urican like a QUEEN.  Aja and Bull were such a great tagteam.  Eagle Sawai hangs with two of the best big ladies who ever wrestled.

• Like 1

Goddam, Aja and Bull beat the living dogcrap out of Kandori- who is such an ass-stomper in this.  Akira Hokuta crushes Aja with four Northern light bombs.  WHATAMATCH!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Holy fucking shit, I can't watch the whole thing right now but that kick from Aja on Kandori at 8:55 tho. Right on the jaw without mercy.

And this match features THE BEST TAGS between hostile partners. '93-'94 AJW is some of the best shit but you all already knew that. I haven't done a deep dive since I was really getting into Japanese wrestling. I ordered a wackload of DVDs from Ginnetty about 10 years ago but never got around to watching them. Now seems like a pretty good time to give 'em a go and if there's a bunch of footage that isn't on YT I could post it.

Oh man, Tomoko Watanabe is so awesome.   Here she starts off with Screwdriver to get the first fall in the first second of the match.  Then everybody else wrestles and it rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man, I wish I still had the VHS tape with the Humongus/Roberts feud on it, so action packed and expertly booked. It got great coverage in the Apter mags as well. The idea that Lord H's mask made him immune to the DDT was brilliant, with Jake using a cattle prod as an equalizer, zapping LH through the eyehole & making him discard the mask and finally  - BANG!!, that climactic DDT. I only see a penultimate cage match  online. Ah well...

- RAF

p.s. Mr. Roberts being the machine here, but Van Camp is no slacker. This is the later feud from Mid-South, which I think was not as involved or long as the SWCW/Continental one (facts subject to my bad memory).

• Like 1

That punch! Sangre Chicana-esque!

And (I have made this joke before, but) Masked Superstar later in his career was literally a super (wrestling) Machine.

Anyway, the logarithm keeps giving me stuff that I somehow had no idea existed. Today, it's absolute wrestling machines Toshiaki Kawada and Ricky Morton in the same ring as Footloose take on The R'n'R Express!! I have seen (and loved) The Fantastics in Japan, but this match-up very much surprised me.

We actually, happily, get a sequence where Kawada & Fuyuki trap Morton in the red half of the ring and beat him down while Gibson fires up the Japanese crowd... and we get a double noggin knocker and a do-si-do spot in an All Japan ring!

Edited by gordi
  • Like 2

Oh my God!  Dave Barrie outStreets Street  so Adrian Street goes batshit crazy and is at his most violent.  It's like watching Sweet go from bubblegum to heavy metal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Oh my God!  Dave Barrie outStreets Street  so Adrian Street goes batshit crazy and is at his most violent.  It's like watching Sweet go from bubblegum to heavy metal.

F'n genius. I have never seen this before and it is great. Some thoughts:

- the reffing and enforcement of the rules really play up then structure of the British rounds style, and when you get folks who understand that way of working it is fun.

- I love when the degeneration of the video tape is like filters and effects, here it's like the glamour and peacockosity of EAStreet is sucking the color out of the audience and making them merely b&w.

- Street's boots and hair are magnificent here. Early years Triple HHH pouffy mane is merely a shadow of the EAS crowning glory.

- I enjoy when a worker is able to convey the large amount of moves in his/her arsenal, with nthe implication being that the maneuvers used are the best ones for that moment. Street does that, prime Flair could do that, many old lucha and WoS workers do that. I don't like the "my gimmick is I know a lot of moves and I am going to show you a whole bunch"-style of worker (Quackenbush, Zack Sabre Jr. as examples, good workers both). The moves have to serve the psychology and story of the match.

- Dave Barrie does a textbook "effective rookie" gimmick here. A great complement to EAS.

pip pip,

RAF

• Like 2

I don't think I've seen this before.  Two wrestling machines beat the living hell out of each other.  Tenryu bleeds like a freak.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

This is going to be some jerk bragging because it's not out there for people yet, but I just saw a really cool Choshu vs Pat Patterson match.

Ya jerk!

• Like 1