DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

We covered this yesterday and it feels like the natural evolution of the 50s Catch stylist vs stylist mat wars/slugfests.

I wouldn't call this a concern of mine, necessarily, as that's too strong a word, but there's going to be a tendency for people to understand the French Catch style/footage from Catanzaro vs Cesca, the trampoline match, and some of the quick rope running gifs alone, and that's not to say that there aren't elements of all of those that are remarkable, but there's a lot of diversity in the footage, even in, let's say a tag where the heels are Bibi/Bernaert or where they are Les Blousons Noirs or where they are the Peruvians/Spaniards or where they are the Teddy Boys or where they are a couple of juniors like Noced/Richard. A 50s tag with Hayes and Hunter as your stylists will be quite different from a 70s one with Ben Chemoul and Bordes.

So you get all of that and then you get this, which is one of the grittiest hard-nosed, hard-hitting matches you'll see.

@DEAN This would be especially up your alley

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

@DEAN This would be especially up your alley

This match is great.  The best French wrestling is when they go completely Mid-South.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Due to me trying to catch up to the threads here I saw the supercut of this and Bobby Backlund's Funaki match in UWF and had to watch the match immediately. You have to force me practically at gunpoint to watch a Takada match after the NJPW '80s set, btw. This is INCREDIBLE. Bob takes to the UWF style like a duck to water and they have a super intense match in what appears to be a sweltering stadium, just dripping with sweat and stretching the shit out of each other. Backlund gets his nose broken and just keeps going. It's the shit. 

• Like 4

In this one Backlund is coming in with a black eye that is swelling shut, and Funaki goes absolutely balls-out on him, even performing a shoot cravate. It's apparent the entire time that they were not happy with each other, and Backlund would have probably put him in a sugar hold if he wasn't looking for another payday. I mean, how times do you want to get kicked in the face or the back of the head? 

EDIT: Here's another thought: Bobby (I like to call him that because he's goofy, no matter how awesome he was as a heel) would have been a perfect Pure Rules champion. And until watching these matches I never thought about how close to UWF rules Pure Rules are. Get some kickers in there and you have the whole shebang. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Here's another thought: Bobby (I like to call him that because he's goofy, no matter how awesome he was as a heel) would have been a perfect Pure Rules champion. And until watching these matches I never thought about how close to UWF rules Pure Rules are. Get some kickers in there and you have the whole shebang. 

So you are saying we need an ROH Pure/GLEAT UWF cross over?  I back your play 100%.

• Like 1

Jayzeus H. Crap!  Dick Murdock against Killer Karl Kox in Japan in 1976.  Kox MIGHT have better punches than Murdoch.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2022 at 9:58 PM, DEAN said:

Holy FUCK!  It's two and half minutes of motherfucking Johnny Valentine vs Lou Thesz from 1973 in Florida.

It's hooking bully vs. ribbing bully! Thesz and his personal grudges against so many other workers probably was working heelish here because JV's glorious tonsorial tower made his crabgrass skullpatch looks as bad as it is. But really, it sometimes hurts my heart, despite the joy of any of this era's footage existing for me to watch, at how much of this match is missing. Selfish, i know...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

It's hooking bully vs. ribbing bully! Thesz and his personal grudges against so many other workers probably was working heelish here because JV's glorious tonsorial tower made his crabgrass skullpatch looks as bad as it is. But really, it sometimes hurts my heart, despite the joy of any of this era's footage existing for me to watch, at how much of this match is missing. Selfish, i know...

I'm pretty sure you can count the number of complete Johnny Valentine matches on the internet on two hands.  It's a fucking travesty.

• Sad 1

FIFTY-FOUR MINUTES OF JACK MOTHERFUCKING BRISCO VERSUS MOTHERFUCKING DORY FUNK JR!  WATCH IT, WUSSES!

EDIT:  MAAAN, the last 15 minutes of this is so fucking awesome.

• Like 2

This popped up in my YouTube feed today.  I don't THINK I've seen this before.  I don't when this is from.  Jim Breaks always looked 52 and Danny Collins looks like he is 10. Breaks is such a fucking HEAT MACHINE!