DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

On 2/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, DEAN said:

Jesus Christ, Killer Khan was the greatest wrestler to ever wrestle.  He is so fucking good.  Chris Adams was a wrestling machine,  ASIAN SPIKE!

KK really is so very genius, a heel that delivered always and therefore was relied upon by several promotions. CAdams was also great in this era, an underdog-flavored babyface that was not as obviously propped up as the Von Erichs (excepting David (but that's a whole 'nother debate)). I contend that there is an actual technical difference between thee Asian and Asiatic Spikes, and will argue the point even if I have to make shit up out of whole cloth. Where's Bill Mercer? Someone call Muraco...

• Like 1

Oh man, Adrian Street controls Bobby Fulton by doing the carniest hold in his British carny hold repertoire- a continuous grabbing of Fulton's cheek.  I imagine this would be Street's go to hold when a dumb ass would say something unforward to Miss Linda at a bar.

• Like 1

A million pink/teenybopper idol stars - I love Thee Merchant of Menace and BFulton is a vastly overlooked worker. This match was pure textbook gimmick flexing, un-innovative but the paradigm of this match-up nonetheless. These two couldn't phone it in at gunpoint. Now my cursed imagination makes me want a Cassandro v. Adrian Street feud, as well as a Bobby Fulton vs. The Masked Superstar one as well. "I'm a greedy man" - James Brown

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is about as good as it gets between 2 heavyweights, heavyweights who are just a few pounds shy of being super heavyweights no less, in the normally allowed TV time. You couldn’t have crammed another big move into this or more intensity in general. The same goes for offsetting qualities. This also had comedy relief and a GOAT 1 liner to start the match from BPP. The typical result when you put 2 machines in the ring really. I obviously love all the fun TV but it’s a shame that’s how so much good stuff came and went. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

Baron Von Rashke and Blackjack Mulligan do a continuous clawhold for EIGHT MINUTES.  Postmatch, the Baron is hell on earth.

• Like 1

The above is akin to one of my fave rave top 30 bestest ever matches, BWindham vs. DRhodes GAB 1988, for it's sheer undiluted clawholdiness. And if by machine, you mean intelligent machines conserving their batteries and still getting over, Ima post it here:

Goddamn, Barry with JJ is great. He has always been appreciated in my Temple, but Dillion's stock has risen greatly in the past year due to my choices of rassling to watch on thee interWebs. James Julius Casar Dillion: #1 Manager Of The Pandemic?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

The above is akin to one of my fave rave top 30 bestest ever matches, BWindham vs. DRhodes GAB 1988, for it's sheer undiluted clawholdiness. And if by machine, you mean intelligent machines conserving their batteries and still getting over, Ima post it here:

Goddamn, Barry with JJ is great. He has always been appreciated in my Temple, but Dillion's stock has risen greatly in the past year due to my choices of rassling to watch on thee interWebs. James Julius Casar Dillion: #1 Manager Of The Pandemic?

Barry Windham turning on Dusty Rhodes was the pinnacle of JCP.  "DON'T MAKE ME DO IT, BARRY!"

"MY DADDY IS BLACKJACK MULLIGAN!"

• Like 1

More Claw on Claw action!  Blackjack Mulligan is tagging with Paul Jones who keeps alligator arming his tags as Baron Von Raschke has him in the claw.  PAUL JONES IS A TRAITOROUS BASTARD!  Greg Valentine hits a fucking BEAUTIFUL elbow drop on Blackjack postmatch.  Mid Atlantic was fucking awesome.

• Like 2

That last good run in 1988 saved Dusty’s entire legacy perhaps. He wasn’t hated, but people were just plain not impressed and uninterested, and he got Hacksaw Jim Duggan in WCW type cheers. But that last run was cool as heck.

Would he have actually pinned 1 of the Road Warriors had he not been fired? That’s something I’ve always wondered. 

On 3/12/2022 at 3:33 PM, BloodyChamp said:

This is about as good as it gets between 2 heavyweights, heavyweights who are just a few pounds shy of being super heavyweights no less, in the normally allowed TV time. You couldn’t have crammed another big move into this or more intensity in general. The same goes for offsetting qualities. This also had comedy relief and a GOAT 1 liner to start the match from BPP. The typical result when you put 2 machines in the ring really. I obviously love all the fun TV but it’s a shame that’s how so much good stuff came and went. 

Just noticed this. It wasn't at all what I expected. I never thought of Steiner as a selfish worker, but I was at least expecting him to win the collar-and-elbow, and get the first headlock of the match. Steiner's offense wasn't even too dominant; he got in just enough suplays to stay on top and he ate Saturn's (usually questionable) superkick (/sidekick) better than anyone. This was a rare more-than-happy BPP era Steiner match and you can see the 1.25.99 trios match versus Benoit to see just how disjoyous he could be in comparison. The "hat-trick" was even low enough to make Saturn seem even like all the more the honorable of the two. Plus, Buff Bagwell being ditzy enough to accidently insult his own hat more than Saturn's dress was really something you don't see much these days. 

Also, my newly discovered eggshell heart just broke hearing of Regal's eggshell heart. All I can see are his nosebleeds now ?

Edited by Horatio

On 3/20/2022 at 9:57 AM, Matt D said:

I have gifs to come on this one and we'll post the whole match at SC on Tuesday night, but check out the one minute of Mantopolous doing his thing:

Hey Matt D, I just got to watch (via the Philly Psychotronic Film Society) (finally after reading about it for many years) the crazy arthouse cult nutso movie "Mr. Freedom". It's kinda "El Topo" & "Peacemaker" & Bread and Puppet Theater & "Putney Swope" all mixed up in a French manner. Anyway, it's from 1968 and there are 5 or so burly French workers in it, in singlets, and in the mob fight scene they are definitely 'working'. Have you seen this? Check out the IMDb entry. Serge Gainsbourg as Mr. Drugstore! Yves Montaud as Captain Formidable! Donald Pleasance! Simone Signoret! It's a gas.

• Like 1

Butch Reed vs Dick Slater from 1985.  Great punches by Reed, Dick Slater IS Terry Funk and the ref controls nothing,  EDIT: OH!  It was no DQ.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DEAN said:

This showed up in my YouTube feed.  Ricky Morton vs Nick Bockwinkle from Houston in 1982.  MAAAN, this is good.

You missed the whole two year NWAOnDemand thing (July 2015 - May 2017) where we were getting random arena matches from Houston every day and you never knew what you were going to get until Corgan bought the NWA and ruined it. 

• Like 1

Watching a bunch of '86 AJW cause why not? This is a scintillating Lioness Asuka vs. Devil Masami match, you already know it rules, you already know the crowd is soprano lava. The match starts with a Giant Swing that I can only describe as *stiff*? Masami's heel charisma and facials are all-time great, the bridge-out nearfalls are purposeful and plentiful, the piledrivers are reprehensible, and I don't know if any company ever did post-match standoff drama better than 80's ZenJo.

re: that Bockwinkel/Morton match - the MVP has got to be the little brother sitting right next to the crowd mic.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1