DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

On 5/5/2021 at 3:54 PM, DEAN said:

This was just posted.  When I was six years old in 1972, Johnny Valentine and Harley Race beat each other to death in St Louis, Missouri.  There is footage.

Don't swerve us, Dean: that is the footage I shot in 1987 of Greg Valentine vs. Buddy Rose on my Pixelvision camera. You know I was saving this for my BLUR Fest (Bootleg Lo-rez Underground Rasslin) Film Festival, aka BFFF. Now I gotta find another opening night feature. Dammit, Dean...

- RAF

• Like 2

When I was a wee little fatboy of 5 or 6, my first favorite wrestler was Danny Hodge because he would crush apples with his bare hands.  I didn't know then a) how to dress myself and b) that Hodge was a hooker who could rip the tendons out of your arms.  Here he is against the Stevie Ray of the Brisco brothers.

• Like 3

Buddy Rose vs Tito Santana - 3/5/90

Buddy is always great. He’s one of the few wrestlers where literally everything he does makes me smile. It’s also interesting to see bigger Buddy in WWF and you can tell the company’s body preferences in the commentary throughout.

• Like 1

This is from 1974.  When I was 8 years old, you had the Mid-Atlantic stars- Wahoo McDaniel, Johnny Valentine then Greg Valentine, the Anderson Brothers, Paul Jones, a face Ken Patera, Blackjack Mulligan, the Super Destroyer and Ric Flair.  Then you had the ethereal champions realm of Jack Brisco, Harley Race and Terry Funk.  You hardly ever saw them wrestle and if you did, it would be once a year from footage like this.  You didn't know them, you just knew they were a tier above what you watched every week.  I would wonder where they would wrestle.  I found out later in life that they would wrestle in Florida and St Louis when they weren't splashed in blood across the cover of The Wrestler.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not the best match but definitely wrestling machines vs wrestling machines. I picked it to further prove my point about my earlier pick. This was solid work but was so not what they were doing from 95 - 97 which was as good as it gets. When this is your low gear, you are a wrestling machine. The crowd is dead and the announcers were fumbling and bumbling everywhere. That didn’t help. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DDT is posting matches to get everyone all hyped for Japanese Wrestling Day, June 6th!  Here is Konosuke Takeshita versus HARASHIMA.

On 5/9/2021 at 11:30 AM, DEAN said:

This is from 1974.  When I was 8 years old, you had the Mid-Atlantic stars- Wahoo McDaniel, Johnny Valentine then Greg Valentine, the Anderson Brothers, Paul Jones, a face Ken Patera, Blackjack Mulligan, the Super Destroyer and Ric Flair.  Then you had the ethereal champions realm of Jack Brisco, Harley Race and Terry Funk.  You hardly ever saw them wrestle and if you did, it would be once a year from footage like this.  You didn't know them, you just knew they were a tier above what you watched every week.  I would wonder where they would wrestle.  I found out later in life that they would wrestle in Florida and St Louis when they weren't splashed in blood across the cover of The Wrestler.

I was at this match in Jacksonville. The finish was Harley doing an amazing over the top rope bump off an Irish whip and taking the 20 count on the floor. Bladed himself down there just for the fuck of it. This was the last 10,000-pluis card that I ever attended in Jacksonville, since I went off to college the next year. On this same card, Bob Armstrong beat Buddy Colt for the North American title in something like ten seconds. The crowd blew the roof off the Coliseum for that. Good times!

• Like 2

Well, here's Graham tagging with Greatest Hot Tag Ever, Bob Armstrong, up against Dick Murdoch and Bob Roop in 1974.  This is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkdy5HqlCL0

----------------------------------

Here he is against Killer Khan in 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PFgoxEgVtQ

• Like 1

This one popped up on Youtube a few months ago. Only footage I've seen of Graham and Malenko during their feud. Unfortunately there's not much of either of these guys in their real primes to be found.

• Like 2

This match is labeled wrong, it is not BuzzSawyer but Terry Sawyer (no relation)... that being said, Terry Sawyer v. Lou Thesz, all mat wrestling and wrist holds with 3 judges scoring the match (Tommy Gilbert, Robert Gibson and Bill Dundee). Lou Thesz is os the neighborhood grmpa that finds a punk messing up his lawn display and decides to stretch him for it!

James

• Like 2

When people started getting their tapes in the mail for Japanese stuff for January 1999 at the beginning of February 1999, DEAN~! wanted us to believe the match oi the year had already taken place in Michinoku Pro. I remember DEAN~! loving this match and I did to, as it was Magnum TOKYO's breakout match amidst the CRAZY MAX invasion of M-Pro at the request of the evil Great Sasuke. It took the almost dead promotion and gave it some buzz again!

Sasuke used an NWA  Middleweight (I think) title tourney to turn face after being purged of evil by Jinsei Shinzaki (no, like really! Sasuke as masked Japanese version of The Sandman was great but Jinsei put a stop to that). So Sasuke wrestles his ass off to the finals as did TOKYO and the match still holds up pretty well for 2 dudes mainly known for being aerialists, there is plenty of mat wrestling in this

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1