DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Final Regal Run here. Him going full stumblebum with the wide-eyed "where am I" look is great. This might be the root of all the damn joint-manipulation stuff currently going on now though, which I guess we can give a pass. 

One can forget how fucking great Regal was.

• Like 1

This match is crazy- in that Manami Toyota used to be fucking crazy.  The finish is pretty sloppy but the crazy parts are super crazy.

Oh my God, this match is awesome.  Princess Victoria and Mimi Hagiwara just BRING THE HATE, to the point where they have carry Mimi to the back during the second fall.  So one would expect Mimi to show up in the third fall with a bandage around her head!  Or maybe Mimi is completely destroyed and Richter and Victoria just beat the living fudge out of Yukari Omori.  Richter is sooo great beating on the women at ringside who are trying to save Omori from the hellish assbeating she takes.  God,  did Bill Watts book this?

• Like 1

80s All Japan Women is the pinnacle of pro wrestling.  The first two falls of this great as Judy Martin and Leilani Kai are absolutely awesome heels and Hotta and Hokuto are fresh faced babyfaces being beaten to death by the veteran American ass stompers.  Then the third fall comes along.  Kai is on the outside of the ring, laid low by Hokuto's highflying so it's two on one until Dump Matsumoto does a run in and it just turns into a fucking molten wreck of amazingness.  Soooooo fucking good.

• Like 3

I wonder if this is the first great Akira Hokuto match.  She and Bull Nakano beat the living fudge out of each other.

I think is from a Vivian Vachon documentary I saw once.  This is from 1971 and Kay Noble is all about that hard 70s women's style that translated so well to Japan ten years later.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:14 PM, DEAN said:

80s All Japan Women is the pinnacle of pro wrestling.  The first two falls of this great as Judy Martin and Leilani Kai are absolutely awesome heels and Hotta and Hokuto are fresh faced babyfaces being beaten to death by the veteran American ass stompers.  Then the third fall comes along.  Kai is on the outside of the ring, laid low by Hokuto's highflying so it's two on one until Dump Matsumoto does a run in and it just turns into a fucking molten wreck of amazingness.  Soooooo fucking good.

That was super fun. I kind of wish the Kai and Martin just stayed in Japan. Was Kai legit hurt from the dive? I noticed even Hokuto was limping for a bit after she got back in the ring. Dump coming out of nowhere to murder people seemed unplanned though still pretty awesome. 

Also been wondering this for a while, but were Kai & Martin a part of Gokuaku Domei or just aligned as fellow heels?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That was super fun. I kind of wish the Kai and Martin just stayed in Japan. Was Kai legit hurt from the dive? I noticed even Hokuto was limping for a bit after she got back in the ring. Dump coming out of nowhere to murder people seemed unplanned though still pretty awesome. 

Also been wondering this for a while, but were Kai & Martin a part of Gokuaku Domei or just aligned as fellow heels?

Hotta blading makes me think Dump was supposed to run in but it looked like Kai was actually hurt, since it made Martin against two babyfaces, which would be an odd choice.  Of course, Martin has such great offense that she held up her end after Dump stabs everybody in the head.  Which was awesome.

• Like 1

Oh man, I think Wendy Richter and Leilani Kai might be slightly better than Judy Martin and Leilani Kai.  Jaguar Yokota is very young.  She comes to the ring with New Wave glasses.  She and Tomoko Kitamura accept a harrowing assbeating in the first fall.  The Americans just cheat and cheat and cheat and just beat the hell out of the native babyfaces.  Then it gets all crazy as Yokota and Kitamura battle back in the second fall.  They take it to the floor, Devil Masami helps the evil Americans, and Leilani Kai is just awesome as every man's first wife.  Bazillion stars.

• Like 1

Jim Breaks is like the Super Destroyer in that he doesn't cheat much, he just gets mountains heat by being himself and having a dickishly effective offense.  This match starts with a Jim Breaks fit.  Steve Gray is a far less flamboyant wrestling machine.

Old School John's favorite wrestler was forgotten New Japan junior heavyweight, El Samurai.  This was his best match.  I think this is the first Poison Rana ever and remember all of us freaking out.  Then Koji Kanemoto became a wife beating dirtbag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Youtube has decided that I need more Jim Breaks in my daily feed and who am I to argue with a faceless corporate monolith.  Jon Cortez is as Snakepit as Breaks.  This is from 1970!  EDIT:  The commercials from the Wrestling Channel taught me that they have trailer parks in the United Kingdom.  Who knew?  All that was missing was a Mesothelioma settlement commercial.

I know so little about so much of this thread that I’ve gotten way behind on it. I don’t doubt that and Eddie vs Benoit match was posted but here’s mine for a little different reason. I know DM isn’t allowed on some forums but I hope it’s ok here. No bonus points for the first half of this being pixelated either I guess grrrrr...

I actually looked up how many times these guys squared off on Nitro in 95 and 96 and it was a ton. I could be wrong because there are so many matches not on YouTube for me to double check, but I think this was the match that led to my old man of few words and emotional displays of any kind, after a sequence and stand off, to look at me and say...dayum. That was like the equivalent of a holy shit chant from a crowd. 

Benoit and Eddie busted their assess every time they got in a ring, even in WCW when they were mad, but from 95 - late 96 they were on a different level, a level called motivation. Believe it or not there was a difference in this match from that time and later. These 2 at this time in a ring against each other were both good and motivated which came to perfect if you ask me. And this still might not even be the match I’m thinking about lol!

As for this match, until the top rope head scissors this was nothing but basic moves lol! The intensity they did them with was just so dang insane. This was a territory TV in 1984 main even match...on Benoids and Crackerro. It just might be the best TV match ever even if it’s not the match I’m trying to remember.

• Like 1

This was just posted.  When I was six years old in 1972, Johnny Valentine and Harley Race beat each other to death in St Louis, Missouri.  There is footage.

Tenryu and Shinya Hashimoto make this tag team ELECTRIC!  I can't figure out who lays it in more.  Of course, Riki Choshyu is in this too.

• Like 1