DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

4 hours ago, Pete said:

With James Beard as referee, no less.

Somewhere I have an SWS Blu-Ray I got from King George Mayfield at a JAPW show a ways back. This makes me want to crack it open.

Ah, Japan George... Somewhere I still have a poster of a blood-soaked and tearful Onita showing off his fighting spirit in a burning ring where he has just defeated Mr. Pogo. I think George talked me into spending $40 for the thing. I don't even want to think about how much I overspent on VHS tapes of FMW from him. ? Good times!

• Like 2

This is a WAR-like WAR match.  Beloved Canadian Bret Como as Ultimate Dragon versus Ultimo Dragon, Dos Caras versus some guy in his brother's Mil Mascara-esque mask. THIS IS PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!  THIS ISN'T MENTIONED ON CAGEMATCH.NET!

It's Yuji Anjo, before he developed the most punchable face in pro wrestling, up against Naoki Sano, when he was prolly the best in the world.

• Like 1

What kind of coincidence is it that both him and Yoshinari Ogawa had zebra print tights, and were both totally punchable. That would be an interesting version of Golden Cups, too. 

Who else wrestled in zebra print? I bet you want to crack them one too.

• Like 1

I don't know who is better- Sgt Slaughter or Pat Patterson?  I assume this leads up to the boot camp match.  This is awesome.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DEAN said:

I don't know who is better- Sgt Slaughter or Pat Patterson?  I assume this leads up to the boot camp match.  This is awesome.

Maybe this is a hot take, or an under-researched brainflash, but in regards to pro wrestling, the worker that gets over more in a match is rarely the better worker - the lesser light is usually the general/carpenter/veteran/leader who is making the other fellow shine. Getting to book your own stuff is an art, cf. Hogan, (forgive me) Dusty, Inoki. The list of chickenshit into chicken salad guys is short - Flair, Race, Danielson, Foley (?), R&R Express, TFunk, off the top of my head... I do so love heel Slaughter and he was a GREAT big man but I gotta go with Patterson here.

- RAF

• Like 2

Holy FUDGE!  This match is great.  Pedro Morales takes an assbeating.  Sgt Slaughter takes an assbeating.  The heat is molten.  So great.

• Like 2

So I did a search of Ryo Mizunami posts on the board and this match popped up from five years ago.  JESUS!  Arisa Nakajima and Mizunami beat each other to death.  

Jay Youngblood and Ricky Steamboat take on Ray the Crippler Stevens and Jimmy Snuka, in I'm assuming 1983.  One forgets how spectacular Jimmy Snuka was.

It's Bolo and Geeto Mongol from 1975 against Ernie Ladd and Cowboy Bob Ellis.  Bolo went on to become Demolition Axe.  Cowboy Bob Ellis was my favorite wrestler when I was like 8 years old.

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

It's Bolo and Geeto Mongol from 1975 against Ernie Ladd and Cowboy Bob Ellis.  Bolo went on to become Demolition Axe.  Cowboy Bob Ellis was my favorite wrestler when I was like 8 years old.

Just watch thee whole show - you can be inspired. WrestleMania who? Gimme gimme thee Edward Einhorn, buckin' the establishment! 

- Young Tommy Young!

- Thee Continental Nobleman is always stylish, but Frenchie Martin's tights are otherworldly. Turco looks like a melding of Cheech together with Chong. There is even some early head-dropping in the opener for you puroresu marks. Luis Martinez obviously does not know what working to the hard cam entails. The flat planes of his cheeks make him appear to be wearing a COVID mask. I have the long haul trucker COVID. In my brain.

- Bulldog Brower always pulls some good faces. He should have given Martinez some lessons in camera awareness..

- I love thee reaction of "That was uncalled for!" from the announcers upon heel shenanigans.

- Hot Take: Mil Mascaras - what a maroon.

- Socks above boot tops is a popular look in the IWA.

- The ring announcer looks like he is about to nod out on a Xanax jag. Or Quaaludes, more contemporaneously. 

- The love Brothers are woefully underappreciated by today's fans. Your Millennials could better themselves easily by studying them; Hartford & Reginald > the Young Bucks.

- Whiny-ass Jim Wilson is useless as always.

- Dean, please tell me that your Ellis Worship has culminated with you sporting some shirts like the Cowboy wears, for special occasions of course.

- Ellis/Ladd - the tension is palpable. Get a room, boys, that turn had, um, overtones in my eyes. Tex McKenzie, obviously jealous, does not help his fellow cowpoke.

- I must own some garment with "I AM RIGHT" on it, a la GCannon.

I will enjoy and promote more old rassling whilst comparing modern stuff to it unfavorably. This is my new mission.

RAF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

- The love Brothers are woefully underappreciated by today's fans. Your Millennials could better themselves easily by studying them; Hartford & Reginald > the Young Bucks.

Definitely better pants.

I loved that they break from the action to show Frenchie Martin crushing his skull in slow motion.  Just like Kenta Kobashi!

• Like 1

So in 1978, Dennis Condrey was both Loverboy Dennis and Beautiful Bobby.  And Ron Wright sounds like your Carolina uncle who might have been in the klan.