DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

Mid Atlantic from 1978.  Harley Race had great matches with Dick Murdoch and Wahoo McDaniel during this time period,  though I don't think Wahoo tags in during this match.  Masked Superstar doesn't get in much either.  This is definitely Dick Murdoch and Harley Race's match, though Ric Flair bumps all over the ring early.

• Like 2

This is * definitely * two pro wrestling machines facing off... but it might not be the match you'd most like to see out of them. (On the other hand, maybe this is * exactly * what you'd want to see) It is very much a clash of styles as Fujinami seems determined to work a pure "Dragon Tradition" style of match but Tully keeps trying to inject his brand of beautiful southern (West Texan?) bullshit into the proceedings. In certain moments, the ref is the best thing about this match. And it probably goes without saying but when Tully isn't messing around he shows that he can really work this style, too.

Damned interesting to watch, if you are into hypotheticals like "What would happen if Tully Blanchard tried to heel it up a little in a self-serious pro-wrestling-is-a-sport-damn-it Muga setting?" This is the answer:

Also: it's a long video but the first ten minutes are a mini documentary of Fujinami training and the last five minutes are mostly a Fujinami talking-head bit, so the actual match doesn't overstay its welcome.

Edited by gordi
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, gordi said:

double post, let's see if I can find another match to put here...

Maybe the ne plus ultra of what this thread is about, and the fact that it's only clips of film with two Japanese guys talking over it makes it even more tantalizing:

Edited by gordi
Accidental double post
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 4:23 AM, Curt McGirt said:

THIS. IS. AWWWWWEEEEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMME. And on about a dozen different levels too. It could even go in BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS because of the end! (Somebody is gonna have to tell me who the guy they beat down is, btw.) If CMLL Japan was this good I want to see every last match.

If I remember right, that's Mr Cacao. He's a promoter/wrestler who has had a few CMLL matches. He used to bring over a lot of CMLL guys to work his promotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I almost switched this to the Bloodsucking Freaks thread when Emilio Charles Jr makes with the blood to match La Fiera making with the blood.  But too much grappling, not enough blood.  GREAT bump by La Fiera between the first and second falls.

• Like 1