DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

I was very high a few weeks back late at night and saw a music video I think Naylor posted on Twitter of the above match on my phone. For the first minute I was sooo high-confused as to how I had never heard of this lost Flair/HBK match from SMW and how amazing it looked. Then I started questioning Flair's physique and movements a bit and eventually pulled my head out of my ass. I don't make such silly mistakes often but holy shit. That was embarrassing. 

Can I have some of what you were smoking?

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

My dad's lungs are fucked from years of smoking weed, so I stick to edibles. Legal here in Canada too.

Canada has the right idea. I live in the meth capitol of the world and the cops are far more interested in busting kids with a bong then they are in taking out any of the numerous meth labs.

• Like 2

Armstrong Alley is making with the 1970s Florida today.  This Jerry Brisco and Dory Funk Jr- but also has Jack Brisco, the Mongolian Stomper, Cowboy Bill Watts and Bob Roop.  And Gary Hart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Armstrong Alley is making with the 1970s Florida today.  This Jerry Brisco and Dory Funk Jr- but also has Jack Brisco, the Mongolian Stomper, Cowboy Bill Watts and Bob Roop.  And Gary Hart.

Such simple, effective storytelling. It sets up all kinds of potential future match-ups.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jiji said:

To an extent, we had 170+ fatal overdoses in British Columbia in a month twice in the past three or four months. It's awful. Fentanyl is a real bitch. 

It never fails to amaze me how people get their hands on that shit. In the US it is supposed to be "hospital only", so even if there were one crooked worker at every hospital in the US, it still wouldn't explain where it all comes from. I'll admit that at one point I was curious until I saw the death total. I take oxycodone for my chronic back and knee pain and the thought of something that might work even better was momentarily intriguing. I'm all out for another hour until the pharmacy opens and my knee feels like Terry Funk is using a hot branding iron on it. We shall not even speak of my lower back...

• Like 1

Adrian Street in 1973 (!) against Dave Barrie.  Come for the classic World of Sport joint crushing, stay for the Adrian Street gay panic when Dave Barrie suddenly realizes he's in love with Adrian Street.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Adrian Street in 1973 (!) against Dave Barrie.  Come for the classic World of Sport joint crushing, stay for the Adrian Street gay panic when Dave Barrie suddenly realizes he's in love with Adrian Street.

Adrian Street was an amazing talent. Talk about guys who could carry a broom to a *** match. From what I've heard, he was quite the hard bastard IRL, not someone you wanted to screw around with outside the ring.

• Like 1

I think 1973 was when Danny Hodge was my favorite wrestler.  Being 7,  I was impressed by the footage of him squeezing apples.  I found out 25 years later that he was a great wrestler.

7 hours ago, OSJ said:

Adrian Street was an amazing talent. Talk about guys who could carry a broom to a *** match. From what I've heard, he was quite the hard bastard IRL, not someone you wanted to screw around with outside the ring.

I mean, I think you'd almost have to be a tough son of a bitch to work that gimmick (which I guess wasn't really a gimmick at all) in the 1970's.

If Sonny Kiss ever turns heel I hope someone shows him some of Street's shit where he looks like he's one crank away from tearing some motherfucker's arm off while he boot rakes their head until the ref makes him stop, because that stuff always looks legit nasty. Street's a guy whenever I see his matches come up, his holds look like he could actually go if he has to.

Out of this showcase of three real wrestling machines- Ricky Morton, Gino Hernandez, and Tully Blanchard,  Tully Blanchard wins it by a nose.  What a match!

• Like 1

For something completely different...

I had heard of these matches as something special for their time and this is, from my understanding, their first one that made tape (please correct me if I'm wrong). I've never had my damned mind blown quite like watching this. It's like a 1998 ECW main event style with better work 8 years ahead of its time. They throw fucking EVERYTHING at each other and while a lot of it is just a bunch of dope stuff, there is some psychology to it, particularly with the finish. The god damndest thing... Incredible. I don't know how you even do sequels to this, because they did it all.

That leg drop Lynn goes for off the top while leaning over to avoid hitting the ceiling is wild. This whole thing is wild. They do a no DQ match later on in the year but I don't understand how. They were hitting each other with bar tables among other stuff. 

If this has been posted, I sincerely apologize.

edit: that it sounds like it was recorded by a field reporter in World War II makes it even more unusual and immense.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

On 8/29/2020 at 11:38 PM, DEAN said:

This is good.  Except the finish, which is bullshit.

I dont mind the finish. the point of this was Buddys redemption story and this allowed him to turn face on Cornette and also showed he could hang with the best by having Michaels pinned.

Plus the timing on the attempted racket shot/kip up was beautiful.

• Like 2