DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

On 8/3/2020 at 1:46 AM, Curt McGirt said:

My second favorite match. 

Still haven’t had a chance to check this out. Waiting for after a truly crappy work day to cheer me up.

With you saying it’s your second favorite, makes me wonder: do you have a top five or ten set in your head for favorites? If so, hit me up with them. Could do a McGirtFest and run through them.

Fuck, that's hard. 

Andre/Hansen

Hash/Kawada

Onita/Goto vs. Nagasaki/Kurisu

Villano III/Atlantis 

Eddy/Rey Halloween Havoc

Tenryu/Hash

Yamakawa/Honma vs. Winger/Shadow WX

Aja/KAORU

Bret/Austin Wrestlemania 13

Mick Foley/Terry Funk on Raw

Add in any Flair/Steamboat you feel as well. And Magnum vs. Tully... dammit, this is impossible haha

• Thanks 1

Again, can you imagine if Shibata had not left pro wrestling for MMA... The above is such a great first match in a possible series of matches where Shibata gets closer and closer until he finally beats the declining Kawada. We were robbed of so many great things with Shibata's exit and now his current predicament. 

21 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I am not totally familiar with the last period of history in Japan, how bad is his situation?

From Wikipedia:

On April 9 at Sakura Genesis 2017, Shibata was defeated by Okada in the IWGP Heavyweight Championship match.[82] Following the match, Shibata collapsed backstage and was rushed to a hospital, where it was discovered that he had a subdural hematoma, which required emergency surgery.[83] Shibata's injury was similar to that which killed mixed martial artist Tim Hague a couple of months later.[84] The injury was caused by Shibata's repeated use of a headbutt as a signature move, something he had been doing regularly since the summer of 2016. This, combined with severe dehydration, caused Shibata to also experience some paralysis on the right side of his body. On April 13, Dave Meltzer reported that it was believed that Shibata would never be cleared to wrestle again.

Tim Hague was the MMA fighter from Edmonton who died as a result of his injuries. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Again, can you imagine if Shibata had not left pro wrestling for MMA... The above is such a great first match in a possible series of matches where Shibata gets closer and closer until he finally beats the declining Kawada. We were robbed of so many great things with Shibata's exit and now his current predicament. 

This match is from 04. We were probably never getting a series of matches between the two once Shibata left NJPW. Honestly, I think leaving NJPW is what fucked his career over more than anything else. He left a promotion that had a true vested interest in him and probably would have made him champ in a couple of years. 

Just now, Eivion said:

This match is from 04. We were probably never getting a series of matches between the two once Shibata left NJPW. Honestly, I think leaving NJPW is what fucked his career over more than anything else. He left a promotion that had a true vested interest in him and probably would have made him champ in a couple of years. 

I feel like he saw the promotion value Tanahashi and Nakamura ahead of him, or how fucked up the state of NJPW was at that time. Either way, I agree that it did a lot of damage to his career. But look at those KOs he received in MMA! Knocked out 5 times in the span of 4 years or so. That's insane and he lost a bunch more via decision/submission which likely saw him take a bunch of punishment. Not only did the failed MMA run damage his reputation in the wrestling world, it did inexorable damage to his brain. Not the best decision maker between all of that and the constant shoot headbutts in wrestling on his return and working a ridiculously stiff style.

Kawada freelanced by that point, right? Why wouldn't we see a series of matches between two freelance wrestlers? 

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Kawada freelanced by that point, right? Why wouldn't we see a series of matches between two freelance wrestlers? 

Kawada didn't freelance until 05 and he still mostly stayed with AJPW until sometime in 08. He never worked for BML which is where Shibata headed to.

• Like 1

Dirty White Boy and Tom Pritchard give a clinic on cheating and punching your opponent in the face.  White Boy hugs White Girl a lot.  The finish is horrendous.

Just a damn masterclass on the art of selling from both men here. 

I can enjoy a modern highspot after highspot go-go-go type of match just fine, but I honestly think pro wrestling could be twenty times better if someone were to lock all the CrossFit fancy boys in a room and make them watch this match until they get it.

Very effective angle at the end, as well. Overall, to me, this clip is pro wrestling done just right:

• Like 3