DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

On 8/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, Jiji said:

Man, Japanese women in 1980 loved a perm.

Ha. Reminds me of in college, my girlfriend had a roommate who was a Japanese exchange student, now the exchange student's buddy was also an exchange student and after like 2 weeks in the states she went and got a perm and was super pumped about it. This was in 2004 BTW.

• Haha 1

Lucy Kayama has a powerful perm, but NOTHING compares 2 Yumi Ikeshita's.  It IS 1980, after all. Kayama does try to match ikeshita's ROUGH TACTICS!

GOD DAMN THIS MATCH IS AWESOME.  The Jumping Bomb Angels brawl like motherfuckers against Bull Nakano and Condor Saito.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Monster Ripper and Devil Masami in a chain match.  It looks like the both blade but nothing comes out.  But still, quality ass stomping,

This match is amazingly good.  Dynamite Kid lays it in.  Buddy Rose hangs with him technically.  Buddy Rose was so good.

Chris Dickinson vs Brett Ison. 

(Have you ever seen a Dog Collar match, where they worked so stiff that they break the chain? Because Brett Ison and Jesse Butler did. But you need IWTV to see the pro-shot version. The match is on YouTube, but it's filmed on a phone and double letterboxed down to where you're watching a postage stamp sized screen).

Devil Masami is aligned with the lunatic gaijins and gets a singles match with the petite queen, the Pat Benatar of Women's Wrestling, Mimi Hagiwara.  Devil starts off by establishing her biker chick cred by chasing Mimi with a pool cue.  Mimi responds by punching Devil in the face.  80s Japanese women's wrestling is the best Russ Meyer film ever made.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Control said:

Main event is Jumbo Tsuruta/Genichiro Tenryu vs Harley Race/Nick Bockwinkel. I’m not sure I know what a Wrestling Machine is but these four guys gotta count, right?

Oh yeah!

On that note:

Main event is Riki Choshu vs Rick Martel. It’s the battle of the Ricks! Choshu apparently knows that people will start suplexing each other on their heads in a few years and wants to get ahead of the game.

Undercard may have another contender or two.

• Like 1

I got a lot of the '85-'86 Japan TV from Lynch way back when specifically to watch more Riki in AJPW. I have no recollection of that match and Rick Martel has become one of my favourites over the past 5 years or so. I need to watch that when I have time to fully appreciate it. Thanks for posting that one!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, DEAN said:

GOD DAMN THIS MATCH IS AWESOME.  The Jumping Bomb Angels brawl like motherfuckers against Bull Nakano and Condor Saito.

You know you’re a dastardly heel when you cheat with nunchucks. 

• Like 2

I think this match was the first building block of Chigusa's booking idea of how awesome "a young unstoppable superstar has to face and beat the old guard" angle is.  This is way more intense than a face versus face match should ever be.  4:27 is insane.