DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2013: WEEK 8

Dolfan in NYC

Blow up college sports, or run them all like the Ivy League schools do. The NFL and NBA (and let's face it, football and mens' basketball are really the only schools where this is an issue, and the only sports that generate money, outside of some men's hockey programs, and maybe UConn and Tennessee in women's basketball) need to be forced into starting their own minor leagues, where 18 year olds get drafted, like hockey and baseball do.

Everyone else, they can go to school, they can get scholarships, and they can work part-time to make some spending money. There's absolutely no reason that an 18 year old shouldn't be drafted in pro football and basketball, other than the teams not wanting to screw up their pick.

Actually Merriweather comment wasn't that craziest comment in DC by a football player today.  Former Skins Dexter Manley not known for his intellect so in trouble on WTOP for calling Troy Aikman a "queer".  needless to say he won't be on the radio that much in the future.  But I hear Skip Bayless is now a huge Dexter Manley fan now 

I wouldn't object on principle, but what's to stop the local booster from paying and/or promising a recruit big bucks to go to the school. Then it gets complicated again.  But use some of that obscene TV to give a small stipend for everyone to have a little living money? I could see that. . . .

I'm not real sure why the booster should be anybody's concern.

One issue with the college sports argument is that money generated by football and basketball programs support the other sports that generate little or no income. Plus Title 9 would rear its head into this and every student athlete would seek equal payment between genders even though the most popular male sport far and away makes more money than the most popular female sport. I could see this being the issue that ends college sports in the future.

All I know is that, if I had gone out the day after the Notre Dame game and bought a #98 Michigan jersey, Gardner wouldn't have seen a penny.  Hell, neither would Tom Harmon's family.

That's indefensible bullshit.

• Like 2

On 4th down, with one last play to win or lose, the St. Louis Rams call the play and formation that has failed on them all night, especially when they're in the red zone, and even including two plays earlier in the sequence when Seattle jumped offside and gave the Rams a free look at exactly how that play is going to once again not work.

They deserve to lose if that's seriously their 4th down play.

Way to let down the other five NFC playoff teams, Rams.

I wouldn't object on principle, but what's to stop the local booster from paying and/or promising a recruit big bucks to go to the school. Then it gets complicated again.  But use some of that obscene TV to give a small stipend for everyone to have a little living money? I could see that. . . .

Basically it would be the NCAA version of money laundering. . .

Basically it would be the NCAA version of money laundering. . .

Fair enough.  If you think the schools are giving money to boosters to give to players, I can see the objection.  If it's just T Boone coming up with $200,000 for the next Barry Sanders to come to Okey State, well, I'm just not sure I have a problem with it. 

At one time, I agreed with the concept of not paying players and controlling everything but a few things have changed my mind over the years:

1) The NCAA and EA Sports conspiring to put real player names into the NCAA football games.  In NCAA 11, if you edit the rosters to use real player names instead of the pre-loaded "QB #16" stuff, the game announcers immediately begin calling the players by name.  That obviously means the game was programmed with real names, which is complete BS.

2) There's a sports card company that is including Johnny Manziel autographed cards in their packs this year.  Johnny gets none of that money.  That just ain't right.

3) On the NCAA's official merchandise web site, if you searched for "Johnny Manziel", you were taken to a results page that included A&M #2 jerseys.  In other words, the NCAA was marketing that specific player and likeness, which is supposedly against their own rules.  That's BS.

4) I was reminded that other people on scholarship at schools can earn money from their skills and also get jobs.  If a brilliant music student is on scholarship, that music student can earn money teaching music lessons or take off-campus gigs but the athlete can't do something similar.